Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The use of stevia as a sweetner has up until now been banned in the EU so I was quite surprised to find that one specific form of Stevia as a sweetner has been approved by France for a trial period of a 2 years. They anticipate that by then it will have been approved by the EU. (an EU loophole allows a temporary approval).
http://www.foodnavigator.com/On-you.../France-approves-high-Reb-A-stevia-sweeteners
I assume that this will mean that it will be legally available to buy it from France, and import it. I can't see it being necessary to declare it for customs purposes???
Cocacola has been quick to realise the potential market with a new form of Fanta sweetened with stevia, though they're hedging their bets and still continuing to make drinks sweetened with aspartame.

. http://www.aufaitmaroc.com/fr/mavie...remiere-boisson-avec-de-la-stevia-debut-2010/

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Phoenix.
I assume that this will mean that it will be legally available to buy it from France, and import it. I can't see it being necessary to declare it for customs purposes???

Unfortunately that is NOT the case. Whilst in France you are legally able to buy Stevia, you cannot import it into the UK at all. If it is found then it would be confiscated and you may be liable to a fine and/or prosecution. This is part of a letter I received from the Food Standards Agency very recently regarding Stevia and the UK position.

You may wish to be aware that France has recently permitted the use of a stevia extract (rebaudioside A) under a temporary national authorisation (TNA) following safety assessment by the French Food Safety Agency (AFSSA). Under Article 5 of the Food Additives Framework Directive (Directive 89/107/EEC) a Member State of the European Union (EU) can temporarily permit the use of an additive which is not currently authorised for use in the EU. It should be noted however that the TNA granted to France applies to this Member State only; it does not extend or permit the sale or import of stevia extracts in the UK and other EU Member States. The UK has no plans to grant a TNA for stevioside at this time.

If I get any further information I will update here, but, quite simply it is not legal to import or sell Stevia in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.