Still Confused....

MonkstonDave

This diabetes type 2 malarkey is very confusing. Told I am T2 in Nov17 with a reading of 15 from a blood test (non fasting). Retested 6 months later (same conditions) after diet changes and increased exercise and dropped to 6.8.

Roll forward to having a machine (Accu-chek) at home this last week and get 7.4 mmol 90 mins after breakfast and then 3.4 after fasting yesterday! (Btw...I washed my hands first)

What is going on with these results? Should I test more regularly or should I carry on and leave alone until my next diabetic clinic in October?

Not looking for sympathy or praise, just generally confused as to how results vary so much. Any advice would be welcome.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I test first thing in the morning, fasting. Then before I eat and then two hours after. I am looking for a rise of no more than 2. I test at bedtime as well.

I put my results into mySugr which after about 6 days of data gives an estimated HbA1c number.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The first two tests you quote, are they the results of a blood draw from your arm? These are HbA1c results which are quite different from finger prick tests at home. The HbA1c results are calculated as an average over the previous three months. The finger prick tests are a snapshot of what is happening now.

Reactions: MonkstonDave

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your results from the Drs show a great improvement which ever test it is, though it would be good to know which test they are quoting, as @Goonergal says. May I suggest some methodical testing at home to see the correlation between pre meals and post to assess exactly what effect your food choices are having.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the testing advice.
Another consideration is are you on any medication that can significantly drop blood sugars ( such as gliclazide, insulin etc)? - if you are then the 3.4 may indicate your dose needs changing in order to avoid hypo’s - it would be important to discuss your results with your Dr if you see further low results (under 4 mmol)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our blood glucose fluctuates throughout the day...and is largely dependent on what we eat. We are designed to work within a rather tight range, typically 4.0-7.0 mmol.

But for those of us with metabolic impairment, our body tend to oversteer/overcompensate when it comes to glucose self regulation...hence it can get too high or too low...

But many of us found that restricting carbs makes it easier to stay within range. Regular pre/post meal testing will help you find your level of carbs tolerance...

Here are some of my Libre charts showing how food impacts glucose levels in a typical day...T2D diagnosed with HbA1c @11%...

upload_2018-8-25_21-25-24.png
upload_2018-8-25_21-27-43.png