still dont know if im type 1 or 2 why not?

i have had diabetes for 1 year now ive had 2 anti ody tests and there both neg so i thought this would mean im type 2 right?? arr they said they still dont know my hb1ac is off the scale that's 114 i cant get my bgl down past 10 , currently under level 3 care at the hospital i take insulin morning and night at 28 units and 10 units when will i find out im so worried i dot now what to do any advice at all would be helpful today :crazy:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,Saradutton1983, :)

It is a bit strange when the say," they still do not know" does appear that they are waiting for further test results.

Sorry that you are going through this worrying time.

I would ask them why is there such a delay with accurate results.

Hope it all goes well with you pretty soon.

Roy, :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You'd think it was a simple thing to find out whether type 1 or 2 but unfortunately it's not always that simple. A positive test means type 1 but a negative test doesn't always mean type 2 ! Confusing ? Yes I know. To be honest, whether you are type 1 or 2 is not as important as the treatment you receive. Hopefully, doctors treat the signs/symptoms rather than the type. The fact that you're already on insulin and BG still high would suggest maybe carb intake a little high ? I am guessing, which is why you need to focus on yourself and lowering your glucose levels and hopefully, eventually, you'll get a proper diagnosis. Good luck !

dawnpad

Hi i was diagnosed with diabetes 10 years ago and it took 5 years for the hospital to find out my type. It turned out i had a type called mody it has characteristics of both type 1 & 2, but because it is a rarer form it takes longer for them to diagnose.
Don't give up hope I'm sure they will get there in the end.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

Hello Sarah

Am I right in thinking that you are injecting pre mixed insulins twice per day?

Like Mo has said, it doesnt really matter what 'type' you have, what matters is why insulin isnt lowering your bg levels. What amounts of carbohydrate are you eating at your meal times? Has a DSN given you any type of carbohydrate diet sheet? Are you taking any type of oral medication that could raise your bg levels?

Hope that you will log on again and have an 'online chat' with us :)

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Don't worry too much whether you're type 1 or 2. If you drive l trust that you've notified DVLA as you're on insulin. Watch your carbs and adjust tour insulin accordingly. I was diagnosed 4 years ago at the age of 61. First treated with metformin but ended up in hospital after about 2 weeks and put on insulin. Consultant tried to get a C-peptide test done to see if I was type 1 or 2 but lab refused to do the test ... twice. After 3 years my Gp surgery finally got one done but the test was useless as the blood was taken during the afternoon after I'd been injecting. If now been told that it must be done 'after fasting insulin'. I now accept that I must be type 1 and watch my carbs when I inject..My problem is I now using porcine insulin and ...for...me it works after 4-5 hours so ALL the current need to test after 2 hours eating don't work for me. I've accepted that I need to test after 4-5 hours when I'm not doing my work(heavy lifting and driving). When at work I don't inject for lunch and maybe only a bit if I have a heavy carb lunch.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Anti-body tests don't always show positive because there are several different types of antibody and the usual GAD test only tests for one of them. You don't say whether you are overweight? If you are you may be insulin resistant which would make the insulin you are injecting less effective. If you are overweight you must have a low-carb diet to help. With your level of blood sugar you are highly likely to be a late onset Type 1 diabetic rather than T2. The insulin treatment is the same anyway to get your sugars down. It's a pity you weren't given a C-peptide test before the insulin was started. I had one done privately and it confirmed I was very low on insulin rather than being insulin resistant; this helps narrow options down. Good luck.