still feeling dizzy?

charlietedd

Hello,

We are just 3 weeks post diagnosis so forgive me if this is vague.
My OH was diagnosed type 2 diabetic with blood sugar level of 15.4.
Now taking 1 x 500mg of metformin per day and adopted low sugar, gradually getting the hang of low carbs too.
Works in factory, so on feet lifting and loading all day long.
Confused? Why is he still feeling dizzy and light headed? Does he need more medication?
Please help :problem:

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Withdrawal from sugar can cause lots of symptoms, as can a change to low carb. There is an adaptation period. If your husband is lowering his carbs a lot, and doing a lot of physical labour, I'm not surprised he has a fuzzy head. I certainly had one when I started LC, without any drugs or physical labour. If he can take it easy for a few days, that would help. It will pass if his diet change is the reason. Also, many people have to lower their metformin when they lower their carbs, because their blood glucose will go down, sometimes quite quickly.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Is he drinking plenty of water? I try to drink 2 litres per day, just tap water, out of which I take one or two coffees a day (so that's 2 litres of fluids in total). Any other drinks are in addition to that.

Light-headedness and headachey feelings can be a result of going low-carb. Take plenty of fluids and it will soon go away. Make sure he's getting good portions of protein, which will give him energy over a longer time period than the instant hit of carbs.

Any further questions, please ask! :D

Viv 8)

charlietedd

Thanks for your comments.

It makes sense and I agree that it will take time to adjust, I'm just trying my best to understand how he feels and what he needs so I can help him as best I can :)