still hungry on low carb diet

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
this is my 5th day , today , bowl of porridge , lunch tin beans 2 crackers , tea bacon cheese egg omelette and im still hungry its not filling me up so lost with all these low carb diets to many out there ,

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Um... porridge and beans and crackers are NOT low carb.

That amount of carb would certainly make me start craving more carbs and trigger hunger and wanting to eat more.

Having said that, it all depends on what carb total you are aiming at each day - it would just be WAY more than my body can cope with.

I aim for the 20-40 g range, spread across the whole day. Probably no more than 20g max in a sitting. Ideally no more than 10 g in a sitting. So for me, your menu would be a high carb day.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the above. On your other post you mentioned you had a shock when you saw the carb content on the beans you had just eaten, well porridge is probably similar, especially if made with milk. Crackers also aren't particularly low carb.

You could try adding more fat. Fats fill us up and stop us feeling hungry. Carbs just make you more hungry. I also don't see any veggies in there, and in total those 3 meals don't seem enough. I'm not keen on omelettes, but from what I read on the forum people tend to have them at breakfast time, not as a main meal, with maybe a salad with protein and fats at lunch, and with a main meal in the evening of protein (meat/fish) and veggies with butter on. These are only suggestions.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yes im so lost really , I don't know how it all works , all I know is that carbs are sugar , I don't know how to read the labels on packs , I don't understand how it works , or what carbs per day mean , im just trying so hard but maybe because I don't know really about it , im just taking a bash , I haven't a clue how many carbs a day I should be having , I am obese and prob about 18 st one in weight ,

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yes im at a loss really with food , I was told to have porridge morning as carbs , also I don't like fruit or veg really , I understand what your saying about meals , also sometimes due to health problems I cant cook evening meals right now , last night I did have mince , which I made into chilli concarne , with some cheese on top , later followed by a salad for supper ,

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree with the above. On your other post you mentioned you had a shock when you saw the carb content on the beans you had just eaten, well porridge is probably similar, especially if made with milk. Crackers also aren't particularly low carb.

You could try adding more fat. Fats fill us up and stop us feeling hungry. Carbs just make you more hungry. I also don't see any veggies in there, and in total those 3 meals don't seem enough. I'm not keen on omelettes, but from what I read on the forum people tend to have them at breakfast time, not as a main meal, with maybe a salad with protein and fats at lunch, and with a main meal in the evening of protein (meat/fish) and veggies with butter on. These are only suggestions.
that's very kind of you thanks , maybe I need to learn what fats , proteins and carbs are ?

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Um... porridge and beans and crackers are NOT low carb.

That amount of carb would certainly make me start craving more carbs and trigger hunger and wanting to eat more.

Having said that, it all depends on what carb total you are aiming at each day - it would just be WAY more than my body can cope with.

I aim for the 20-40 g range, spread across the whole day. Probably no more than 20g max in a sitting. Ideally no more than 10 g in a sitting. So for me, your menu would be a high carb day.
hi , well this is the problem I don't really understand what type of food I should be eating , I have to learn what carbs fats and proteins are
im at a loss really I cant eat veg or fruit and cooking at moment I cant do due to health reasons

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
yes im so lost really , I don't know how it all works , all I know is that carbs are sugar , I don't know how to read the labels on packs , I don't understand how it works , or what carbs per day mean , im just trying so hard but maybe because I don't know really about it , im just taking a bash , I haven't a clue how many carbs a day I should be having , I am obese and prob about 18 st one in weight ,
Hi. All carbs including sugar are converted to glucose in the body and that glucose can be burnt for energy or stored as fat if not needed. When looking at food packaging, ignore the front label which talks about Sugar (which is silly) and look at the back of the pack which will list Total carbs and that's what you need to note. We all vary, but most might say that you need to be at least below 200gm per day and probably much less. Many on the forum are way less than 100gm/day. I go for around 150/day. As you say you are obese I might go for less than 100gm/day initially and use the glucose meter and scales to see how it goes. The body needs to be forced to burn off stored fat so for a while keep the carbs way down. You can always have more proteins and some fats to keep you feeling full without blood sugar or weight gain.

Reactions: mo53

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@sandysan don't worry, it can all be very overwhelming. You could do a lot worse than sign up for https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/

It's free, and is designed to bring your carb intake down in stages. I started to follow it, but impatient that I am, dived down to very low carbs at week 6

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Protein is meat fish eggs cheese fat is butter oils cheese these are just the basics if you can manage just a little veg served with butter or made into soup this will fill you up
CAROL

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
when checking labels do I look at the sugar content per 100g and the saturates ? or just sugar contents on laebelling

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You look at the carbs, not the sugars. All carbs turn to sugar, so you might as well ignore the sugar listing and just read the carbs.

(by the way, raisins are 70% carbs, so I wouldn't be adding them to yoghurt on a low carb diet. Even a titchy 30g serving will give you 21g of carbs)

Cookie 81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to jump on this post but am i right in thinking you take total carbs and minus fibre to get what 'countable carbs' are for your daily carb count? Obviously when doing carb counting for what insulin you need to cover your meal you work out from total carbs! Or have I got that totally wrong (still learning after 13year ) any advice appreciated.

Reactions: ickihun

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
@sandysan I will tag @daisy1 for you with some helpful information we give new comers to the forum. Also, although I am doing a moderate carb, moderate fat diet I was really hungry for the first three weeks of reducing carbs and calories. I have to remind myself to eat now though I do still have to watch the carbs.

Reactions: Freema

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
The carb and fiber count depend on where the food was labeled.If you are in the USA the carb count already has the fiber factored in. In the UK it does not. So technically you could eat more carbs here (USA) and still be low carb if just reading the carb count from the labels.I do not know about the labels from the rest of the world but I suspect we (USA) are the only ones who deduct fiber count in the carb count.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to jump on this post but am i right in thinking you take total carbs and minus fibre to get what 'countable carbs' are for your daily carb count? Obviously when doing carb counting for what insulin you need to cover your meal you work out from total carbs! Or have I got that totally wrong (still learning after 13year ) any advice appreciated.

American nutrition labels include fibre with the carbs (so the fibre has to be subtracted to give the carb figure)
British nutrition labels list the fibre elsewhere on the label (so the carb figure is all carb, and the fibre doesn't need to be deducted)

Hope that helps! :)

Oops, our posts coincided, @SWUSA_

Reactions: Cookie 81