Still not fat adjusting

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks, that's useful.
I note that you have tried a grain based diet - that could be part of the problem as grain is so lacking in nutrients that you might be lacking vitamins and minerals - I suggest you try a good all round supplement, to try to get your micronutrients up to something like normal.
Also that you do not have the energy to go up stairs - that is ascension weakness - it was described by Dr Atkins in New Diet Revolution way back in the last century. All you need to do is add in a little extra salad or a mixture of vegetables each day until it goes away. The suggestion was for the equivalent of 5 gm of carbs per day, adding in more every other day to start with, and then fine tuning once you can run up the stairs.
I am probably in a minority having eaten low carb for simple weight control - though it always made me feel great too, and abot to run up mountains, for decades before being diagnosed with diabetes - I suspect that it masked the symptoms for a long time as it was only when eating a high carb grain based diet that I was diagnosed.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I replaced my fruit and veg with multivutamins. I take extra vitD3.
No porridge, no bread other than 4 small sliced protein bread from morrisons. Which I toast gor crackers or lightly toasted with 2 fried eggs on. I eat mackerel from a tin and flavour with cheap salad cream or malt vinager.
I have occasional fish pie and remove half of potato and add tinned red salmon, I have good sausages and good burgers (high meat content). I have cod with batter removed from fish shop where they use lard. I have soft cheese on protein bread crackers. No chips, no rice or pasta and definitely no pizza unless I get bases low carb from amazon as a treat.
I ate crustless quiche this week and omelettes with chicken sprinkled into it. I occasionally add a few garden peas or sweetcorn as a treat. I use onion regularly and add any protein in omelettes except cheese. I avoid hard cheeses, nuts (althou having a few over xmas) and cream. I have gone back to having semiskimmed milk in my coffees.
Their is loads of meats and fish I can eat with a little extras. My meals are protein based no carb based. ;)
Editted to confirm 4 slices of protein bread on average per week.

Reactions: benjo123456

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I note that you have tried a grain based diet - that could be part of the problem as grain is so lacking in nutrients that you might be lacking vitamins and minerals - I suggest you try a good all round supplement, to try to get your micronutrients up to something like normal.
Also that you do not have the energy to go up stairs - that is ascension weakness - it was described by Dr Atkins in New Diet Revolution way back in the last century. All you need to do is add in a little extra salad or a mixture of vegetables each day until it goes away. The suggestion was for the equivalent of 5 gm of carbs per day, adding in more every other day to start with, and then fine tuning once you can run up the stairs.
I am probably in a minority having eaten low carb for simple weight control - though it always made me feel great too, and abot to run up mountains, for decades before being diagnosed with diabetes - I suspect that it masked the symptoms for a long time as it was only when eating a high carb grain based diet that I was diagnosed.
That makes sense about ascension weakness and vitamins/minerals. When I get upset tum I am weak for a while until my body starts absorbing again. I rely on multivitamins now more than ever!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@benjo123456 so far in this thread you haven't told us what you eat each day, just that it is a "keto" diet.

It would help understanding if you detailed what your diet is.

It would also help if you told us when you test your blood glucose and what the results are.

You talk about reactive hypoglaecemia but then you say your BG never goes below 4.5.

You talk about "false hypos" but these are usually experienced by someone who has been running very high BG values and then sees a significant drop. You have indicated that your BG is normal and never goes below 4.5 so it is difficult to see how you could experience "false hypos".

Are you trying to pick up diabetes jargon when you are not diabetic then apply it to your symptoms?
For these terms to apply, you would have to have the matching blood glucose readings.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@benjo123456 so far in this thread you haven't told us what you eat each day, just that it is a "keto" diet.

It would help understanding if you detailed what your diet is.

It would also help if you told us when you test your blood glucose and what the results are.

You talk about reactive hypoglaecemia but then you say your BG never goes below 4.5.

You talk about "false hypos" but these are usually experienced by someone who has been running very high BG values and then sees a significant drop. You have indicated that your BG is normal and never goes below 4.5 so it is difficult to see how you could experience "false hypos".

Are you trying to pick up diabetes jargon when you are not diabetic then apply it to your symptoms?
For these terms to apply, you would have to have the matching blood glucose readings.
Hi. The false hypos are definitely real. Although my readings are normal now, I have been stuffing myself for 2 years on carbs, never going even slightly hungry. I never took a reading then, so I've no idea what my bs was, but it must have been high. A lot of my problems seem to be my body adjusting to normal levels.

I never had any health complaints (apart from being overweight) until I dropped the calories, initially trying a grain based diet. That is when my body all seemed to fall apart. I have had hypo symptoms before whenever I tried to go without food for a normal time, but I just ate again and forgot about it.

I have no idea what the reaction to carbs is, and nor has any one else. I had thought reactive hypoglycemia may be it, but it doesn't quite match up to that either. I have tried to find an answer, and that's the closest I get, but I still don't think that's it.

Because of my negative reaction to carbs, I thought that keto may be the answer. My meals are based on eggs, salmon, spinach and avacardo 4 times a day, but I also take cheese when I feel really bad.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. The false hypos are definitely real. Although my readings are normal now, I have been stuffing myself for 2 years on carbs, never going even slightly hungry. I never took a reading then, so I've no idea what my bs was, but it must have been high. A lot of my problems seem to be my body adjusting to normal levels.

I never had any health complaints (apart from being overweight) until I dropped the calories, initially trying a grain based diet. That is when my body all seemed to fall apart. I have had hypo symptoms before whenever I tried to go without food for a normal time, but I just ate again and forgot about it.

I have no idea what the reaction to carbs is, and nor has any one else. I had thought reactive hypoglycemia may be it, but it doesn't quite match up to that either. I have tried to find an answer, and that's the closest I get, but I still don't think that's it.

Because of my negative reaction to carbs, I thought that keto may be the answer. My meals are based on eggs, salmon, spinach and avacardo 4 times a day, but I also take cheese when I feel really bad
Why would you assume stuffing yourself with carbs for two years....what exactly were you eating... is responsible for how you are now even non diabetics have high BS levels after eating a lot of carbs its normal it is how soon they go back to normal levels after a meal that's important Sounds like you were pretty normal when you started this strange diet that is now making you ill

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why would you assume stuffing yourself with carbs for two years....what exactly were you eating... is responsible for how you are now even non diabetics have high BS levels after eating a lot of carbs its normal it is how soon they go back to normal levels after a meal that's important Sounds like you were pretty normal when you started this strange diet that is now making you ill
I was totally normal. I didn't start off with Keto, I started with a sensible grain based diet. That's when the problems started. I think the problem with my of diet wasn't so much the amount I ate, but more that I never not ate, meaning that my bs would have been permanently high.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The false hypos are definitely real.

Nonsense. Unless you have been running consistently in double figures (which you haven't because if you had been your hba1c would confirm you as diabetic) you won't get false hypos at normal euglycaemic levels. You aren't diabetic. You aren't taking blood sugar lowering medication. You aren't having hypos. Nor are you having false hypos.

What you are having is hypochondria. Plain and simple. You are falsely and unnecessarily medicalising non symptoms. None of what you are experiencing is anything to do with your blood sugar.

I have had hypo symptoms before whenever I tried to go without food for a normal time, but I just ate again and forgot about it.

Nonsense. That's called being hungry. Nothing more complicated or exotic than that.

To have reactive hypoglycaemia you have to actually have hypoglycaemia, i.e. blood sugar readings under 4. You don't. So you don't have reactive hypoglycaemia.

You're very determined to have something wrong with your blood sugar for someone who has NOTHING wrong with their blood sugar.

If eating keto or whatever your currently eating is making you feel unwell stop trying to eat keto and just eat a normal healthy balanced diet.

Reactions: LouWilk059

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@benjo123456 - There are so many things that could be causing the plethora of symptoms you appear to be experiencing that are no way related to diabetes or sugar regulation.

I can read that you are frustrated, but it is inappropriate that you seem to expect members here to be able to diagnose you with something incredibly off the wall.

Of course you should continue to try to work out what ails you. Nobody is suggesting you don't, but I'm unsure what more the members here can credibly offer you. I would suggest that you need to go back to your medics and pick up from there.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @benjo123456
an RH will experience true hypo levels of BG ( below 4.0 and much lower ) eating carbs.

with out sounding impolite -- could I suggest that you buy a blood sugar meter , take at least 4 tests per day for at least 4 weeks , and eat what ever you think suits you ,

and then ................ come back with your findings.

right now we have no evidence based findings to help suggest a direction.

you are panicking without reason.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @benjo123456 ,

Reading your backstory. It sounds like your metabolism was handling the diet you threw at it prior to your lifestyle change.
Or you would have had an HbA1c result come back in the diabetic range.. Which is great news!

Reading some of your other responses on this thread. Might I suggest seeking counselling psychological help, regarding your "relationship with food"..?
It would be unfortunate if you focused souly on the "physical" without exploring other options..

Wishing you well..!