Still so confused

Rachelpoppet

I’ve been managing to keep my levels below 9 generally they are around 6-7. I’ve not have any of my favourite foods as they are all potato based. I’m testing before I eat and 2 hours after. I’m trying to not eat carbs but finding what I can eat and what I like are very limited. Yesterday for the 1st time for years I had baked beans and was surprised to find I actually enjoyed them.
my question is they made no difference to my blood sugar levels but reading today they should not be eaten as they contain around 3 teaspoons of sugar.
So what do I do? Do I eat them knowing they make no difference to my results or cut them out as I know they are high in sugar?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most people on these forums say eat to your meter, if baked beans don’t spike you (test them a few times to be sure) then go for it, maybe just don’t put them on toast ;)

Reactions: Rachelpoppet

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I occasionally have baked beans and I find they have little effect on my blood glucose levels over a 4 Hr period so conclude that they are OK occasionally. I suggest you try them and test before eating, after 1Hr, after 2Hrs and possibly at 3 and 4Hrs you will know the effect of them after the testing. Some foods produce a rise that is delayed beyond the normal 2Hr window, for some, pizza is the classic example.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Many t2’s work out what the maximum amount of carbs is per day that they will eat

A whole can of beans has about 57g carbs. (6 spoons ish)

So if you are happy with your daily carb intake and it’s having little to no effect then why not have some?

Even if it’s only occasionally for something different

Just be aware that if you increase your average carb intake you may see a slight/gradual rise in in your hba1c over time

So carry on keeping an eye on your bg

optimist1

You could also google recipes for a lower carb baked bean. Make a batch of sauce and freeze off. To add to tinned beans. your meter will tell you what's best.