Wes0301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

To all those who aren't aware, there is a new blood glucose monitor called Freestyle Libre that does not require your blood to read your blood glucose levels!!
Although this not currently available on the NHS, they are running a large number of free trials. Having used it over the passed fortnight, I can honestly say it's brilliant!!
It works with a sensor placed just below your skin (self applied) and you simply scan for an instant reading.
Speak to your diabetic nurse or consultant about getting your free trial. The more people that do, the quicker this will be available on the NHS. It has been available in Sweden and neighbouring countries for several years now.
For more information, visit www.freestylelibre.com

A

asparagusp

I thought that had been around for a while. What does interest me is a couple of years ago laser devices were being developed but were extremely big and I keep checking for news of them but nothing.

Reactions: Energize

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm pleased you've found the Libre helpful @Wes0301 :)

There are a number of threads about it on the forum and quite a few people using it here. If you'd like to read about their experiences, a Search would bring up the threads for you or you could simply browse the subforums :)

Reactions: Freema
D

Deleted member 308541

They are just under $200.00 for the two items here in Australia, which make them affordable to buy.

It would depend how much the sensor patches cost, and how long they stay on before coming off in the shower and need replacing whether they are worth it or not.

I have just read the specs and the sensors are $95.00 each and last for 14 days, at that price they are not worth buying.

Last edited by a moderator:

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not worth buying, and not being affordable are different things.

They are definitely worth buying, life changing almost. But not everyone can afford them, sadly.

D

Deleted member 308541

They are definitely worth buying, life changing almost. But not everyone can afford them, sadly.
I can afford to buy one, but as I said it would depend how many sensors come with it for $95.00.

If it's only one sensor for that price it's not worth it, and I may as well stay with my NDSS subsidised strips at $1.60 per 100 pack.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get my test strips for free (NHS), and paying personally for this is worth it. Have you used the freestyle libre at all?

Traditional test strips cannot be compared to this. They don't give you a 24 hour view of exactly what your bg is doing.

The impact it can have (and has had for me and others) is massive.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I wish the libre was available in Canada. I would love to try it. I would be very curious to see what goes on with my blood sugar overnight.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I wish the libre was available in Canada. I would love to try it. I would be very curious to see what goes on with my blood sugar overnight.

If you can afford it you can buy them on eBay. I live in Canada and have bought a reader and a few sensors on eBay.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I never thought of Ebay. Can't afford the price however. It would have to be something I can get a prescription for so third party would pick it up. They cover my blood ketone strips which surprised me.

NagaAir51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry I now I Most probably sounds stupid but do you have to buy a new sensor every 14 days ?
I have been looking at it and wondered if I can get it here in Indonesia ?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Each sensor lasts 14 days, then stops working.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I understand that you can get an app from google for Android phones that replace the liber reader. Not available for apple devices as yet.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I honestly believe you might be better off with a dexcom G5 now they have come down in cost significantly

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not worth buying, and not being affordable are different things.

I second that. I real game changer. I would even say it definitely is life changing. If you can, get one.

Reactions: Engineer88

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I honestly believe you might be better off with a dexcom G5 now they have come down in cost significantly
How much is that?

It's frustrating that they don't have an android app (whilst the libre doesn't have an iPhone app either).

From the libre perspective, it's an Apple issue. But the dexcom i would guess is a business decision not to support android.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How much is that?

It's frustrating that they don't have an android app (whilst the libre doesn't have an iPhone app either).

From the libre perspective, it's an Apple issue. But the dexcom i would guess is a business decision not to support android.

I think its more to do with the variation in operating systems, you can follow the G5 on an android phone but it cant receive.

sensors = 48 each (upto 4 weeks)
transmitter = £250 for 6 months (potential to 'hack' the battery for reuse with xdrip)

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think its more to do with the variation in operating systems, you can follow the G5 on an android phone but it cant receive.

sensors = 48 each (upto 4 weeks)
transmitter = £250 for 6 months (potential to 'hack' the battery for reuse with xdrip)
Oh right, works out a bit cheaper than the libre then over 6 months. I've requested some more info on it.. With the libre you wear a small sensor, and scan it with your phone/a regular sized meter.

What do you wear/use with the dexcom?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using DCUK Forum mobile app