ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
In January, I tried to stop smoking and failed miserably. I also tried again a few times during the year.
This morning, I had two cigs left, smoked them and thought that I had better go and but some more. I just couldn"t be bothered to go out in the pouring rain so thought, sod it just don't but any. So far so good and not really craving as much as I thought

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In January, I tried to stop smoking and failed miserably. I also tried again a few times during the year.
This morning, I had two cigs left, smoked them and thought that I had better go and but some more. I just couldn"t be bothered to go out in the pouring rain so thought, sod it just don't but any. So far so good and not really craving as much as I thought
well done ally i got diagnosed in april i had not smoked for over 2 years and have started again sort this diabetes out then try again ;)

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
well done ally i got diagnosed in april i had not smoked for over 2 years and have started again sort this diabetes out then try again ;)
It is hard to stop smoking, I would suggest that you concentrate on your diabetes and once that's sorted, then you could try to stop

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
It is hard to stop smoking, I would suggest that you concentrate on your diabetes and once that's sorted, then you could try to stop
Trouble is for most people their diabetes will never be sorted.
I don't see why people should tackle only one problem at a time.
If you tackle numerous things as you do in life then while you're doing something about one thing it might take your mind off the other thing for a short while.
I found stopping smoking one of the most difficult things I ever faced in life.
It was the typical stop start stuff you're struggling with.
At one point I'd stopped for three years and started again!
Couldn't believe it.
I've now been stopped to many years to be counting.
I am so glad I did stop because with the numerous health problems I have now I doubt I'd be coping very well at all with it all.
Might even be a bed ridden smoker or even a dead ex smoker.
A person too helpless to be bothered and just waiting to die with every drag helping me along the way.
As it is I've more or less turned the T2 around and I doubt I could have done that whilst gasping and wheezing.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKD75

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
From my point of view if you can stop smoking you may well feel more confident and able to seriously have a go at the diets life changes etc needed to tackle the diabetes.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never been a smoker but know people who were. I admire your resolve as it is very hard to give up. There are many thinngs available to help with cravings - if you get them. Divide your day into stages and get through one stage and then move onto the next. Oh and dont beat yourself up if you find you have a sneaky smoke. You can always go back to your stages. It will get easier. And see if your health authority offer any smoker support groups.

Good luck

Reactions: jay hay-char

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stick with it, Ally; you can do it.

I think I'd agree with those who have said that people shouldn't wait to get their diabetes under control before trying to stop smoking - there is quite a lot of research to demonstrate that nicotine raises blood sugar levels, so it's part of getting your levels down, not a nice-to-have add-on.

I have never really smoked (well; not tobacco, anyway :oops:) but I know how hard it is to stop, from watching my late father-in-law do it. He finally managed when his wife suggested to him - with some justification - that he'd hardly ever see his grandchildren if he spent his time when he visited them, constantly exposing them to a smoke-filled environment :yuck:

He stopped overnight. I think part of his success was down to the fact that he was a proud man, and told everyone he knew - colleagues, friends, family and acquaintances - that he was giving up. He'd never have been able to face the shame of admitting that he hadn't succeeded.

I wish you success :)

buffyiscool

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I switched to vaping while in hospital for nth time. Have not had an actual cigarette now for about 3 months and can't really say I miss them. That's not say I haven't thought sod it I need a tab. Have had a rough few months with numerous stays in hospital and pain that is requiring a cocktail of pain killers just to subdue, so yes I have had times when I thought I could do with one. Keep trying. It is hard as anyone will tell you. Good luck.

Reactions: jay hay-char

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

How you doing Ally with the non smoking?

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Not entirely stopped
I have 2 aday but that's good for me
You may find the numbers creeping up on you and you'll be back to your usual amount. (Edited to remove the presumption that you might fail in your attempt. That was rude of me and I apologize.) I smoked for 35+ years and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. When I finally quit, I used e-cig with no nicotine, no flavor. I got over the nicotine addiction first, then the habit. It took a while, but it finally worked. Never quit quitting.

Last edited:

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
You may find the numbers creeping up on you and you'll be back to your usual amount. (Edited to remove the presumption that you might fail in your attempt. That was rude of me and I apologize.) I smoked for 35+ years and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. When I finally quit, I used e-cig with no nicotine, no flavor. I got over the nicotine addiction first, then the habit. It took a while, but it finally worked. Never quit quitting.
Yes I totally agree with you.
I just have to stop completly

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How are you doing today? (If you don't mind my asking)

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have not had one today and will try my hardest not to buy any from the shop.
Good for you! Feel free to contact me if you need encouragement or just need to vent

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have not had one today and will try my hardest not to buy any from the shop.
Keep going; we're all rooting for you :)

"The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single pace" and all that....

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wishing you success Ally1!! Just think of what you can do with the money you will be saving by not watching it all go up in smoke:) Sorry, couldn't help myself:) Blessings/L

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Wishing you success Ally1!! Just think of what you can do with the money you will be saving by not watching it all go up in smoke:) Sorry, couldn't help myself:) Blessings/L
Thank you.
I admit I am struggling big time with stopping smoking