Stopping Metformin

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well...one can read and read and get more confused
I am type 2...3 years.....got my BG levels down by low carb and 2 x500 metformin each day
recently saw D Nurse.....average BG down to 5.8
but spikes happen and often my BG is now 7.4 to 8.3 fasting in the morning....then possibly in late eve 10 or 12... before changing metformin to 1/day readings were approx. 6.3 in morning
nurse suggested coming off metformin.....but I said ..no.....then compromised by having 1 metformin now/ day
It is difficult to know what to eat to keeps carbs ultra low
Well - meat fish shellfish eggs cheese are the basics, I then add in low carb foods, a maximum carb content of 10 percent, so lots of salads and stirfries. I kept my BG levels normal eating 50 gm of carbs per day - mostly in the evenings, but now am cutting back to 40 gm per day, and all from low carb foods, to try to lose weight. Do you need to go lower than me to achieve low BG levels?

Reactions: Freema

mickey4

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for that.....now 1x500 metformin in morning with food.....BG readings run at 6.8 t0 8.5 fasting...not too happy with readings over 8...most readings are around 7.5
I eat porridge oats 30g carbs with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 2 under level dessert spoons both of flax meal and chia seeds lunch is 2 poached eggs on 1 round of Bergen bread.....evening meal is meat or fish...chicken..with loads of veg.and 2 egg sized mashed potato…...between meals I sometimes have fruit.....mostly berries but not a lot...….I suppose this is my average type of food...I do not eat large helpings

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying to reverse my diabetes (type 2) to become a non-diabetic.
Since September I have stopped eating all carbs: pasta, rice, potatoes, grains.
In effect, a ketogenic diet.
Moderate protein < 6oz, fibre vegetables (not root) and fat: olive oil, coconut oil, MCT oil butter, ghee, cream.
Average BG for the last 3 months is 6.7 mmol/L
I make almond /coconut bread in a mug, 90 seconds in the microwave.
Bulletproof coffee, and Braggs apple cider vinegar (1 tbl spoon) with a glass of water and a few drops of liquid Stevia, lemon juice to taste.
I also lost 5 Kg weight since. 5 Kg more to go for the normal BMI.

Hopefully by April, my next HBa1c test I should be OK.

I simply want to stop taking Glucophage. 1x500mg per day.
Glucophage (Metformin) does take the glucose out of the blood, but the glucose is hidden elsewhere if you don't stop the carbs.

This diet is not recommended for type 1 diabetes.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
<snip>
Glucophage (Metformin) does take the glucose out of the blood, but the glucose is hidden elsewhere if you don't stop the carbs.<snip>

Intrigued by this.

Could you expand a bit further, please, on where the glucose is hidden (but presumably still harmful)?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glucophage (Metformin) does take the glucose out of the blood, but the glucose is hidden elsewhere if you don't stop the carbs.

Intrigued by this.

Could you expand a bit further, please, on where the glucose is hidden (but presumably still harmful)?

I was under the impression that Metformin does not take the glucose out of the blood, but rather reduces the amount of glucose the liver produces. I would like a link about this, if you have one @pr126

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Intrigued by this.

One of the magic tricks Metformin does is expand widthways with a cellulose matrix that acts like a sponge to soak up those pesky carbs and hold on to them as they transfer down the alimentary canal to be expelled in a white stool. Looks like maggots the first time you notice them, frightened me until I read about it in the patients leaflet in the box. It removes them before they do harm, I believe. They are there if you care to look for them..........!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
One of the magic tricks Metformin does is expand widthways with a cellulose matrix that acts like a sponge to soak up those pesky carbs and hold on to them as they transfer down the alimentary canal to be expelled in a white stool. Looks like maggots the first time you notice them, frightened me until I read about it in the patients leaflet in the box. It removes them before they do harm, I believe. They are there if you care to look for them..........!

So not a negative aspect of taking Metformin, then?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As far as I can see, he is saying Metformin helps with the absorption of insulin (helps insulin resistance). He doesn't say it clears glucose from the bloodstream.

Clearing glucose from the bloodstream is what IR prevents. I'm not sure how clearing the glucose into the tissues is a bad thing; this is what insulin is supposed to do.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clearing glucose from the bloodstream is what IR prevents. I'm not sure how clearing the glucose into the tissues is a bad thing; this is what insulin is supposed to do.
The negative from this is that it stores glucose and water as glucogen in the muscles for future use as a local fast access energy store. If we are sedentary and do not use this up, then it tends to stay stored, along with the associated water in the cells, leading to weight gain. Not such a problem as the other storage cells in the adipose cells and liver, but this weight is the kind that WW and other sliming diets are geared to reduce quickly so giving impressive success stories. This is why weight lost by diet gets regained quickly again since it is just sugar and water as glucogen otherwise wrongly referred to as fat.

Insulin also opens the door for lipid fats to be stored in the liver and adipose tissue which is how metabolic syndeome starts - this fat is true fat and much harder to shift. Glucose can also become converted into s form that can also be stored in the adipose tissue but that is a slow inefficient process that only occurs when sugar levels are low(ish) as it is a starvation protection mechanism. These last two are not really affected by Metformin being there or not, so it is muscle IR that it can help to reduce. If bgl numbers are the thing that rows your boat, then Met is good. If you look at T2D in the round then it may help a little, but not a lot since what goes in tends to stay in if not used. Of course the other route is for excess glucose to be filtered out and excreted in the time honoured tradition for T2D - peeing a lot, This obviously takes time and is not a quick fix either. Some T1D get put on Met too but that is for overall protection rather than fighting bgl levels and IR.

Metformin has other interesting properties and is apparently helpful in providing protection to the cardio vascular system as a whole.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I understood from the first video that the Metformin helps with the absorption of insulin into the liver, which in turn reduces the amount of glucose the liver produces as the insulin signals it to stop producing it. He doesn't mention it helps absorb it anywhere else in the body. Metformin just works on the liver as far as I am aware.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understood from the first video that the Metformin helps with the absorption of insulin into the liver, which in turn reduces the amount of glucose the liver produces as the insulin signals it to stop producing it. He doesn't mention it helps absorb it anywhere else in the body. Metformin just works on the liver as far as I am aware.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14502098

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds like metformin and Glipozide is killing me. Does the body not need LDL or HDL?
May I tactfully suggest that having high blood sugar levels would also contribute to an early demise. We have the option of choosing here, and hopefully making an informed choice.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Metformin works by activating an enzyme called AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), that in turn signals the liver to produce less glucose and encourages cells to store glucose from the bloodstream (thus lowering blood glucose levels). AMPK also affects the body’s metabolism by inhibiting the production of cholesterol and fatty acids and lowering insulin resistance. Additionally, metformin may decrease the absorption of glucose by the gastrointestinal tract, allowing more time for insulin to work and reducing postmeal spikes in blood glucose level."

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....roaches/how-much-do-you-know-about-metformin/

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does medication remove sugar from the body?
Apparently not.

SRARY

Thanks for that.....now 1x500 metformin in morning with food.....BG readings run at 6.8 t0 8.5 fasting...not too happy with readings over 8...most readings are around 7.5
I eat porridge oats 30g carbs with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 2 under level dessert spoons both of flax meal and chia seeds lunch is 2 poached eggs on 1 round of Bergen bread.....evening meal is meat or fish...chicken..with loads of veg.and 2 egg sized mashed potato…...between meals I sometimes have fruit.....mostly berries but not a lot...….I suppose this is my average type of food...I do not eat large helpings
It used to be a common wisdom to avoid red meat and eggs but not anymore. The new rules are not avoidable of meat but sugar in any form and reducing of carbs but not eliminated it completely because Carbs very much important for body energy. The new research suggests that the problem most likely with sugar.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It used to be a common wisdom to avoid red meat and eggs but not anymore. The new rules are not avoidable of meat but sugar in any form and reducing of carbs but not eliminated it completely because Carbs very much important for body energy. The new research suggests that the problem most likely with sugar.

Carbs are sugar once inside the body. Only the brain and red blood cells require some glucose, and enough glucose for that is made naturally in the liver. It is a fallacy that we need carbs. However, I do agree that eggs are no longer demonised, and the avoidance of red meat is old hat.

Reactions: ziggy_w