JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Experts believe they may have found a way to prevent high risk babies from developing type 1 diabetes.

The idea is to train infants' immune systems by giving them powdered insulin to offer life-long protection.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44777939

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fascinating, & almost "medevil" aproach to science...

Wouldn't the gut deal with this "insulin powder" before anything else?
If an autoimune reaction attacks insulin? Would what we inject to compensate for duff beta cells not work?

It states one in 100 babies are at risk from T1. Am I wrong in thinking there should be more of us, if this is the case...?

Grind me some rhino horn...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The Newsbot posted on this.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Give that powdered insulin to me, I'll test it. You can train your body to be used to poisons and nuts, so the analogy of training your immune system to tolerate the insulin molecule isn't far-fetched. I've spoken to the researchers involved in tolerization directly over email and they agreed it might help established cases, not just pre-type 1s. But of course aren't willing to let me get my hands on any. The alternative of course is nasal insulin inhalation, which provides a euphoric effect. I did that for a while, but stopped, since I have no real way of measuring if it's working and insulin isn't free.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Does powdered insulin have any effect on blood sugar? I'm presuming that it doesn't actually reach the blood stream because it gets destroyed in the gut. Fascinating article.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A duck waddles into the room and says quack in a helpful way, and waddles back off again :p

Reactions: Dodo

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
pretty sure its the beta cell that the immune system doesn't like.....the insulin is fine....;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What dog owners in Wiltshire have discovered is if we allow our pets to urinate the perimeter of our properties?
The scent deters wild elephants from crashing the fencing & hedgerows thus tearing up damaging lawns & borders, lowering our home insurance premiums considerably....

What is the though process behind this one? (Lifted from the featured article.)
"Others have been testing whether giving a different drug, called metformin, in childhood might hold off diabetes."

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They are doing a DNA test to fund the 1% of babies that are at increased risk of type1 and only in including them in the trail.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Metoformin reduces gluconeogenesis doesn't it? I don't understand how that helps prevent the nuking of beta cells unless it gives them a break whilst they reover from autoimmune attack?
I can see that finding a new target market might help the makers of a very cheap drug. I am type 1 and have been offered it without explanation other than something like ' Metformin is good for everything.... helps prevent cancer' .
On a similar note the makers empageflozin/canegefrlozin (sic) aka the SGL T2 inbibitors which work by helping you pee out more glucose are seeking permission to use it to treat type 1s.
Anyway my question about the insulin powder concerns which gene is used to identify a risk of type 1 diabetes since I thought the genetic link was very weak? (my kids have 2% risk so double normal but not much in absolute terms).
This is a prospective study so I guess it will take 10 years plus to play out given that they must wait for the cohorts to develop or not develop diabetes to get any proof of the hypothesis.
Looking forward to all those peeps forwarding me clippings/links with the good news of my imminent cure!

Reactions: gemma_T1 and kev-w

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As I understand it, the DNA tests shows the babies that are at high risk of type1, the risk of getting type1 for these babies is then about 2%. I think they are going to use a sensitive antibody test, therefore may get results in under 10 years.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The Newsbot posted on this.
Did it really I never look at that to be honest I was on line on the news channel at about 4:30 when I came across it so thought I should post it was I in error as far as I know the newsbot does not post forum threads as such or am I again in error have I broken the rules if so my apologies..

Though it has given people the chance to criticize and then give it the desired amount of disbelief and ridicule.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking at the "blurb" it appears to be a study carried out regarding catching the development of T1 early in the genetically predisposed on the therory that you can train the imune system to ignore powdered insulin mixed into a child's diet..

Diabetes may well happen any way..
Ethically, would you use your healthy in the moment kid as a "Guineapig?"

Did it really I never look at that to be honest I was on line on the news channel at about 4:30 when I came across it so thought I should post it was I in error as far as I know the newsbot does not post forum threads as such or am I again in error have I broken the rules if so my apologies..

Though it has given people the chance to criticize and then give it the desired amount of disbelief and ridicule.

Apologise? No need! :)

It just doesn't seem clear what these boffins have planned should a subject develop diabetes..?

..... Though, at a guess they'll get referred back to the GP. ;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

No error at all. I just thought to add it as sometimes the odd bit of detail is missing from one report whilst included in another.

Reactions: JohnEGreen
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
An interesting read, looking for women in the South East to help with studies, but don't know if this will ever really work.
What children would be at risk ? My daughter is 17 now and I hope she will never get diagnosed with type 1. Yet, my granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years. Also a female acquaintance I know has 4 children, 3 of them have type 1, oldest is 18, neither parent has diabetes nor is it known in the family.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No error at all. I just thought to add it as sometimes the odd bit of detail is missing from one report whilst included in another.
Oki dokey sometimes I jump in with both feet and and did truly wonder if I had transgressed.

Also having been awake since 3:30 this morning thought processes a bit hazey. :)

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
pretty sure its the beta cell that the immune system doesn't like.....the insulin is fine....;)

There are separate antibodies for the insulin molecule, beta cells, and other cells.

So one could theoretically produce enough insulin just fine with healthy beta cells, but as soon as they are released, WHAM, gone.

Recent news reports, shared right here on DCOUK, suggest it's damaged or "junk" insulin molecules and beta cells that are attacked by the immune system, so the disease itself isn't an auto-immune malfunction per se, but a perfectly valid immune response to damaged cells which it considers foreign, perhaps creating damaged insulin from an enterovirus (CVB-1). This is confirmed by the fact that all type 1s have some endogenous insulin production and thus functional, mature beta cells, throughout their lives (via both cp tests and autopsies proving it).

I sometimes wonder if any large percentage of those who post in this forum read the news section here, no offense. This data is well-known, and has been for years. Auto-Insulin-antibodies are not news, they've been known for decades now.