R2T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Winter, war, pestilence
Hi everyone,
This morning before breakfast (Greek yoghurt with 8 grapes and a tiny banana) my BG was 4.9. I've just tested it again (approx 2 hrs later) and my BG is now 4.4.
I thought it was supposed to go up not down when you eat?

I'm still new to this testing lark so I'm finding this result a bit confusing.

Is it because of the Metformin? (I take one 500mg with breakfast and one with my evening meal).
:confused:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be more than confused, I would be totally amazed if that happened to me!

You say you tested again approximately 2 hours later. Was this 2 hours (approx) after your first bite, or after you had finished eating? That makes a difference, and with a banana and grapes, if it were me, I would expect my spike to be within an hour of my first bite. Bananas convert to glucose very quickly, which is why athletes eat them during competitions. How approx was your test, and did you do a re-test to confirm the reading?

The Metformin will have had no affect on your level. It doesn't work that way. It works on the liver mostly to help reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally in times of stress or starvation.

Reactions: 2 people

R2T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Winter, war, pestilence
I would be more than confused, I would be totally amazed if that happened to me!

You say you tested again approximately 2 hours later. Was this 2 hours (approx) after your first bite, or after you had finished eating? That makes a difference, and with a banana and grapes, if it were me, I would expect my spike to be within an hour of my first bite. Bananas convert to glucose very quickly, which is why athletes eat them during competitions. How approx was your test, and did you do a re-test to confirm the reading?

The Metformin will have had no affect on your level. It doesn't work that way. It works on the liver mostly to help reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally in times of stress or starvation.

Hi Bluetit thanks for your reply :)

It was 2 hours after my first bite. I didn't retest then unfortunately, but I have just had a mini snickers and a cup of coffee with cream and now my BG is 3.9 (and retest was the same).

Thanks for clearing up how Metformin works, my doc said it reduced the takeup of sugar from your food that's why I had to take it when I eat.

I do have a heavy cold at the moment but I thought that would also raise my BG.

I wonder if some of my other medications may be lowering my BG?
I have been prescribed so many that I rattle!
I also have ramipril(for blood pressure I think, even though they said my BP was fine...), venlafaxine(for depression which I can't seem to shake off), and pregabalin(for nerve damage caused by neck injury).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, your results confound me totally! Maybe others have some suggestions. Colds and viruses do normally raise BS levels, as do some medications. I can't comment on the ones you take. I am med-free.

As for taking Metformin with meals, I believe this is to help alleviate the tummy problems associated with it.

R2T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Winter, war, pestilence
Well, your results confound me totally! Maybe others have some suggestions. Colds and viruses do normally raise BS levels, as do some medications. I can't comment on the ones you take. I am med-free.

As for taking Metformin with meals, I believe this is to help alleviate the tummy problems associated with it.

I dream of being med free again... I'm sure I will be one day :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people go up sugar wise when they are ill, I have found that I go down! And I have to eat a few more carbs - you may be weird like me! Even after a steroid injection in my shoulder I only went into high single figures for about 3 hours and then dropped down to my normal high 4 levels - but like I say I'm weird

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I was eating bananas and grapes I'd expect a big spike, but I'd also test earlier (at 1 hour as well) to see if the fruit was spiking me then. So it seems a bit odd, but next time you eat a similar meal test after an hour too and see what happens. However, I'm on a very low carb high fat diet, and I frequently get a similar or lower 2 hour post meal reading - steady "flat" readings are actually what I prefer to see.

Meters are not necessarily 100% accurate, so you also have to allow for this. What's more important is to watch for tends and patterns over time rather than being too concerned about a single result. If you get a very odd/unexpected one - much higher or lower, then you do need to think about what's possibly caused it, and maybe wash your hands and retest.

Robbity

R2T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Winter, war, pestilence
Most people go up sugar wise when they are ill, I have found that I go down! And I have to eat a few more carbs - you may be weird like me! Even after a steroid injection in my shoulder I only went into high single figures for about 3 hours and then dropped down to my normal high 4 levels - but like I say I'm weird
Most people think I'm a bit weird so that could be it :)