Strange sleeping problems

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Hi everyone and good morning, I'm looking for any help or advice on a strange sleeping problem that I've had all week. This is a new problem and not sure it's diabetes related.

Basically and I'll try and explain it clearly ( however it's strange to explain), I'm going to bed as normal, read my book and start dropping off to sleep, I then have this really relaxing feeling run through my body, I then start jerking awake before I'm asleep, this feels like My body wants to stay awake!! I have a feeling my heart is pumping faster, and this goes on for 2/3 hours. I try and get through this but can't and end up getting up, having something to eat/ tea, go to bed again, then fall asleep eventually without any above problems.

My feelings is that my Bg levels are too low when I'm in sleep mode and this is like a hypo ( never had one) thus, I force my self to eat when I get up, however I'm not hungry!!.

I'm T2, one metformin, test levels before bed are 4's which is normal for me, and test again when I'm force to get up and they are 4's as well. I normally don't eat after 8 because I'm not hungry or drink coffee, tea or alcohol. Since being diagnosed last June I've followed the same diet, low carb, exercise etc, lost 5 stones,nothing new or has changed this week, so I'm a bit lost in what's causing this, I'm not stressed or worry about life, I'm a bit of a laid back bloke.

Hope I've explained it clearly but it's a bit weird really.

Thank you for your time in advance. Many thanks Andy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's definitely one for the doctor as there are so many disorders which cause jerking, tremors, shaking or twitching. Most people have some mild cases, others can be severe. Some are genetic, some are neurological and some psychological. It is something that needs untangling by a doctor.

"Anyone experiencing body shaking, especially at night, may feel confused and scared about this unusual symptom. There are several health conditions that can cause someone to shake at night, whether in their sleep or while awake. Three of the most common reasons are sleep apnea, seizures and anxiety. Sleep apnea causes patients to stop breathing temporarily for periods throughout the night."

Reactions: 4 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2, one metformin, test levels before bed are 4's which is normal for me, and test again when I'm force to get up and they are 4's as well. I normally don't eat after 8 because I'm not hungry or drink coffee, tea or alcohol. Since being diagnosed last June I've followed the same diet, low carb, exercise etc, lost 5 stones,nothing new or has changed this week, so I'm a bit lost in what's causing this, I'm not stressed or worry about life, I'm a bit of a laid back bloke.

You might not need as much metformin, or any at all, if you are getting lots of 4s. I'd have a word with the doc about that. Losing 5 stone is a substantial weight loss and will most definitely have made some sort of metabolic change to your body, especially since you did it in such a short period of time.

Reactions: 2 people

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Cheers for your replies, I'll in seeing the doc or nurse on Monday. The weightloss in the short time surprised me as well, I found reduced carbs, cals , smaller plate and exercise was really easy, still have some demons to kick and this will be another one to resolve.

Thanks again Andy.

Father Jack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My local hospital is conducting a research programme to investigate a possible link between T2 diabetes and sleep apnea.

psr

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being diabetic
Hi I got diagnosed as having a bad case of sleep apnea at around the same time I got diagnosed with t2 , 3-4 months ago it was a result of attending my sleep apnea clinic appointment and them telling me that I had a very high blood pressure reading and I should go and see my doctor about it and get a second check that my doctor then discovered I was diabetic . The nurse at the sleep clinic that I now see monthly says that the problems can be related and certainly do not help each other , as not having proper rest at night runs down the body etc and gives the diabetes chance to prosper and both conditions are much more common in people that like me are overweight , I used to have the similar sounding jerks that you described but i did not notice them nightly like yours and I had it explained to me that it was a result of me having stopped breathing and that it was my subconscious that was waking me up gasping for air , I was measured as stopping breathing up to 90 times an hour on the night they asked me to wear the monitoring equipment this being one of the highest readings they had recorded and
hence me now having been issued with a breathing machine that i am supposed to wear when I go to bed to pulse bursts of air into me via a mask all night
It's kind of a strange twist that I at first got referred to the ENR (ear nose and throat) department of my local hospital who in turn referred me to the sleep clinic by my doctor as I went to my doctors , over a year ago complaining that I was constantly thirsty at night and was drinking up to 2 litres of water from going to bed till when I got up in the morning meaning I was not only kept awake by the constant thirst at night but also having to urinate about 15 times a night i assumed due to drinking so much water and I blindly thought it was a problem with my throat not even considering or being aware it could or probably was symptoms of being an undiagnosed diabetic all along ,since starting my diabetic medication my night time thirst and having to get up to urinate so often had greatly improved but sadly in another twist the reason I'm now awake at this unworldly hour is due to me not getting along with wearing the breathing mask

Father Jack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tell us more father

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
Morning Christine, I think psr above, has said it all. According to my partner I too used to suffer from sleep apnea, although I did not attend a sleep clinic. I too have high blood pressure. Since my T2 as been diagnosed I have lost a considerable amount of weight, my apnea has stopped (I don't even snore now), my blood sugars are much better and my blood pressure is lower. I suspect all three conditions feed off each other and are a consequence of being overweight.
Keep the faith,
Jack

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Just love that picture, got all father teds dvds at xmas so funny. Anyway thats some great help guys again had the same problem falling asleep last night however before I went to bed I checked my blood it was under 4, then eat soon nuts, cheese it went up to 4.8 which is about normal for me. It didn't seem as bad but still cant understand why I feel my heart is racing. My blood pressure on my last review was normal and I take one tab of lisinopril in the morning I was actually wondering if my bp is dropping to low and the feeling of my heart racing is the body's way of keeping it up! Many thanks

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks to all your reply's, had a bad night for similar reasons, except I use a cpap machine Hubby does not.
,We went out last night he had 4 pints of lager, snored all night long, I had 2 half pints of diet coke .need I say more. lol.

my question was or should have been, which hospital is doing the research into the connection of diabetes and sleep apnoea,my grand daughter was diagnosed with sleep apnoea at 6 weeks of age, thank god it could have led to a cot death, however my eldest son had observed her breathing and having the problem himself got her seen to.

At least 6 people my family have this problem, but also t1 and t2 diabetes run in the family and that's why I am interested in the research that may be carried out. but of course we have all been bought up to eat the same ****.lol.

Father Jack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks to all your reply's, had a bad night for similar reasons, except I use a cpap machine Hubby does not.
,We went out last night he had 4 pints of lager, snored all night long, I had 2 half pints of diet coke .need I say more. lol.

my question was or should have been, which hospital is doing the research into the connection of diabetes and sleep apnoea,my grand daughter was diagnosed with sleep apnoea at 6 weeks of age, thank god it could have led to a cot death, however my eldest son had observed her breathing and having the problem himself got her seen to.

At least 6 people my family have this problem, but also t1 and t2 diabetes run in the family and that's why I am interested in the research that may be carried out. but of course we have all been bought up to eat the same ****.lol.
Hi Christine The hospital in general is Rotherham General Hospital. I only know because when I attended my desmond course I was asked if I would fill in a questionnaire concerning sleep apnea and it was explained that it was in connection with this research.
Regards
Jack

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
many thanks father jack, many ancestors from that area, miners eating bread and jam.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had sleep apnea and a cpap machine for 12 years or so. I also had extremely high blood pressure and a heart problem. BP and the heart problem were alleviated and the cpap did its job and allowed me to sleep well. It was giving up smoking that caused my diabetes. I ate too many sweets as cigarette substitutes. Carrying too much weight can cause both sleep apnea and diabetes so in that respect, they are symptoms of the same problem.

Ironically it was because of the annual checkup because of the original heart problem that the diabetes was spotted. Also ironically, it was the Sleep Study Centre at St James' in Leeds that got me onto a Champix Smoking Cessation programme.

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Well it continues, spot on about medication, when I mentioned the sleep problems and Bg's low 4s, yesterday getting low 3's after food, DN nurse said it could be metformin, all other bloods within range, and BP 120/70, however, I'm starting to hate that word!!, I then asked about my resting heart rate seems low, ( I check it with an app and most in low 50s) could this be causing the problem, she checked it there and then and it recorded 47!! I'd love to think I was an athlete but just an average 45 year old bloke.

Sent home with, the doc will phone today, so still at a loss!!

So I've gone to the pub for a pint or 2, to await the call. Might even get some sleep!!

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Received the phone call yesterday afternoon from the doc, he thinks it could be the metformin and low BG causing the sleep problems, he's a little concerned about the low heart rate and wants to see me within the next 2 weeks. Hba1c was 35, and told me to come off meds and see how I get on. Happy with that, Funny enough I had the best sleep last night for weeks.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low heart rate does seem to happen to some on low carb diets.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/m...eir-heart-rate-drop-weight-loss-low-carb.html

A few studies have been carried out on thyroid response to low carbing, on triiodothyronine-response/changes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7851870

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10028376

triiodothyronine is a hormone that affects heart rate, body temperature among others.

Have you had a thyroid check as part of your regular blood screening?

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Low heart rate does seem to happen to some on low carb diets.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/m...eir-heart-rate-drop-weight-loss-low-carb.html

A few studies have been carried out on thyroid response to low carbing, on triiodothyronine-response/changes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7851870

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10028376

triiodothyronine is a hormone that affects heart rate, body temperature among others.

Have you had a thyroid check as part of your regular blood screening?

Cheers Dougie, I'll have a look at that, thyroid was done last review because of some issues with statins but came back fine. Unless of course I'm an athlete in disguise of an middle aged fat bloke. Lol see what 8hrs sleep gives me, humour