Strange Smell

speedboy21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Sorry about this, but does any one else's urine smell strange. Recently it smells like Medication. a really strong smell. It annoys me and I think something may not be right.

Thanks.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its colour and smell can be driven by what you eat, so too much beetroot for example will turn it an alarming shade of pink whilst asparagus is notorious for making it smell, of, well, asparagus.
Infection and medication can also change smell and colour as can dehydration or heavy exercise. If you are concerned perhaps a visit to your GP surgery so a nurse can dip a stick in might be in order so they can check for infection.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry about this, but does any one else's urine smell strange. Recently it smells like Medication. a really strong smell. It annoys me and I think something may not be right.

Thanks.

Hi there, are your glucose levels ok? Before diagnosis my urine also smelt very strong, (now this may sound gross but...), a slight taste of it on a fingertip tasted of a saccharine tablet. I now know it was full of glucose. Once I started insulin, away it went. Of course it could be anything so best get it checked out.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"a slight taste of it on a fingertip tasted of a saccharine tablet"

Like the Persian Avicenna, the sweet taste of the afflicted person's urine was noted way back in history - so your in good company in your method there!. And the name "Mellitus" is supposedly meant to be another way of describing "from honey". Sad factoid of the day. ;-)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Like the Persian Avicenna, the sweet taste of the afflicted person's urine was noted way back in history - so your in good company in your method there!. And the name "Mellitus" is supposedly meant to be another way of describing "from honey". Sad factoid of the day. ;-)

Hi First Officer, how fascinating! Long before all of these tests became available, good job really as I can't imagine testing the old fashioned way before meals would go down well.....x

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.

In mediaevel England diabetes was known as the honey disease and there were urine tasters to check the rich were OK! Also, in Egypt, dishes of urine were left out to tempt ants. Diabetic urine was much more poputar apparently. Funny old world innit?

Reactions: First.Officer

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I've had some odd smells from antibiotics....

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
My pee used to smell of sugar puffs which I presume would be because of yeast (which feeds on sugar). It doesn't smell of anything in particular now (thankfully!).

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking of strange smells, I've always loved the taste of pork, e.g. pork belly, chops etc - loved it. But in the previous year up to my T2 diagnosis (and change in diet etc.), whilst I still liked the meat, the smell of it cooking absolutely nauseated me, put me off. It was like a chemical smell - and the same thing with my urine, it smelt very chemical. Didn't really fancy tasting it lol.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi there, are your glucose levels ok? Before diagnosis my urine also smelt very strong, (now this may sound gross but...), a slight taste of it on a fingertip tasted of a saccharine tablet. I now know it was full of glucose. Once I started insulin, away it went. Of course it could be anything so best get it checked out.

Wheres the "EWWWWW" icon lol

suzywakeup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya! For about a week or two before I was diagnosed, my wee smelt strange, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I read an article about having diabetic ketoacidosis (I was already at least 2 years T2 but my GP had failed to tell me) and elevated ketone levels in your wee make it smell like popcorn!! My blood levels had been constantly high during the previous two years, and now I know what the smell was.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hiya! For about a week or two before I was diagnosed, my wee smelt strange, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I read an article about having diabetic ketoacidosis (I was already at least 2 years T2 but my GP had failed to tell me) and elevated ketone levels in your wee make it smell like popcorn!! My blood levels had been constantly high during the previous two years, and now I know what the smell was.
Those above appear to have put their finger IN it!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As @suzywakeup mentioned, the smell of acetone (found in nail polish remover) is typical indication of high ketones. Can be due to ketoacidosis (dangerous) or raised ketones when on keto diet.

@speedboy21 , have you tested your blood for glucose, or seen your GP/Diabetes Nurse? If not, I suggest you make an urgent appt ;)

[Edit] Just remembered, used to be known as the smell of Pear Drops (sweets). Not sure if they're still available these days ;)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat