Stress before sugar test

Jj.j

Good evening,
I've been wondering if stress before the needle would be a possible reason for higher then usual blood sugar, I'm not diabetic however there was a bit of stress before the test and I slept maybe 5h that day, would it explain higher then usual blood sugar and cortosol?

Cortisol 720
Insulin 11
Blood sugar 99 (90 the week before)

Thank you.

I'm worried about going diabetic or having a damaged pancreas :(
Is the beta cell damage the only reason for rising fasting glucose? can this be reversed or be normalised (am I done up or is there hope of normal life?)

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm sorry you're finding the testing stressful. What units are your Cortisol reading measured in?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm not diabetic however there was a bit of stress before the test and I slept maybe 5h that day, would it explain higher then usual blood sugar and cortosol?

Stress certainly raises blood sugar levels, and 99 (about 5.5 in UK units) certainly doesn't indicate diabetes or pancreatic damage.

Your insulin levels are on the high side (possibly, there is a lot of argument about what is normal here) which suggests that if you were to become diabetic it would be T2 rather than T1, so you could pretty easily counter this by not overdoing the carbohydrate in your diet. My understanding (possibly incorrect) is that beta cell damage occurs in T1s and very long term T2s (the latter only because their bodies have been producing excess insulin for years in a futile attempt to process carbohydrates).

So, you've got a bit of insulin resistance, which means your insulin is having trouble in combatting those carbs. Be aware that having excess insulin in your system also tends to lead to weight gain, as excess insulin plus sugar gets converted to fat.

The obvious thing to do is to reduce those carbs in your diet before you edge into pre-diabetic or diabetic territory. It's possible that only a small change will restore your levels, but you need to realise that a return to a typical high carbohydrate diet (lots of sugar, grains and fructose) will return you to your previous levels. If you describe a typical day's food then the folk on here will be able to make suggestions. For instance, skip fruit juice and cereal.

To someone who was definitely diabetic or prediabetic, I'd recommend a blood testing meter so that you can tell what is spiking your sugars, but as you're not yet at that level there's probably/possibly not much point, though it might be worth doing it just to find out if your sugars are actually abnormal.

Good luck.