Stress - can’t get sugars down

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
im a total loser of an idiot and got a speeding ticket (first in 20 years) on Monday for 35 in a 30.
I’m doing the awareness course but I’m so stressed about it and I cannot get my sugars down. My sugars always respond badly to stress. My worry is it could be weeks before the course and I’m not able to eat anything. My basals are all up but I’m still sat between 12-15 all the time. I’m super stressed that we are booked to go on holiday and that the course might be then - costing us several hundred quid to cancel let alone the disappointment of my kids because their mother is a dimwit. Also I don’t think you can eat or drink in these courses? So if I go low (I won’t be - I will be super high and thirsty) I can’t treat it?

And yes I know it’s my own fault and I deserve it and to feel like this before anyone points it out! But any suggestions other than don’t speed and keep upping the insulin?

Reactions: MS6502

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
From what I've heard from other people, you have absolutely nothing to worry or stress about. It basically involves sitting in a room with your fellow speedsters looking at a few accident scene video/pictures and be educated by some person standing at the front of the room talking to you. I'm by no means mocking or dismissing these courses, but please don't worry about it, think of as going back to school and sitting in a classroom.

Also, can't you phone up to rearrange the date of the awareness course? You will also have to explain you are diabetic and will need to monitor your sugar levels and take appropriate action if needed. I'm sure you are not the first diabetic they have had on one of their courses.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Don't panic!

You can , apparently, re-arrange when you want to do the course if you can show you've got a holiday booked. Alternatively, of course, you could take the points on
licence.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@ExtremelyW0rried Seriously there is nothing to get stressed about - you aren't the first and won't be the last to get a speeding ticket, it happens, it's how you deal with it, you could simply accept it's happened and just move on, then BG will behave better, but giving yourself such a hard time is not necessary.

Get out for a walk, have a moan and move on, you get multiple dates so pick the one that works for you and try not to stress, seriously this is nothing to get stressed about :)

Reactions: gemma_T1

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
BTW you are being way too harsh on yourself - would you talk to your best mate like this ? Nope, so be a little kinder on yourself, we are all human, we all make mistakes, no one is perfect.

Reactions: gemma_T1

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
BTW you are being way too harsh on yourself - would you talk to your best mate like this ? Nope, so be a little kinder on yourself, we are all human, we all make mistakes, no one is perfect.

Thanks but you are too kind.
I do wish my sugars would come down though. Every time I moan about my sugars I remember it’s my own fault and have to shut up! I’m at 10 now, lowest I’ve been since this morning and ive not had a single thing to eat today. It’s driving (ha ha) me crazy.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Every time I moan about my sugars I remember it’s my own fault and have to shut up!
Are you seeing someone to talk about the way you feel about yourself? It might help you. How is it your own fault your pancreas decided to quit? How is it your own fault that diabetes is simply a very hard condition to manage, especially with the rest of normal life, including children thrown in? Stress happens in life, no matter if it's caused by mild speeding, worries about loved ones or being late for something important because car broke down or train didn't go to schedule. How is it your fault your diabetes reacts strongly to stress?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you seeing someone to talk about the way you feel about yourself? It might help you. How is it your own fault your pancreas decided to quit? How is it your own fault that diabetes is simply a very hard condition to manage, especially with the rest of normal life, including children thrown in? Stress happens in life, no matter if it's caused by mild speeding, worries about loved ones or being late for something important because car broke down or train didn't go to schedule. How is it your fault your diabetes reacts strongly to stress?

No it’s my fault re the speeding. If I hadn’t done that I wouldn’t be ill now. So I do deserve it reallt but it’s so frustrating. I’m 18 again now and feel really dreadful.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No it’s my fault re the speeding. If I hadn’t done that I wouldn’t be ill now. So I do deserve it reallt but it’s so frustrating. I’m 18 again now and feel really dreadful.
No, you don't deserve to be ill as a punishment for speeding. Maybe you deserve the stupid course (I doubt it) but not getting ill from it. The getting ill part from things like this, minor things really, is why I thought you might benefit from talking to someone professional about your reaction to stress and worries.
It's not a healthy reaction to feel like a failure for speeding a little and even less so from not being able to manage you bg from stress. Really, speaking about this might help!

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The bloods stress me out further, I find it so frustrating. I’m doing everything I can and they are still terrible and I’m starving. I’m not so bothered about the starving as the feeling so unwell.

But it’s my own fault I’m in this position.

I guess just keep increasing the basal until it stops rising all the time?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree with @Antje77 you are over re-acting, it's just a speed ticket, I've had a few and got a photo once just so I had a reminder I could pin on the board.

Did I stress, nope, it happens.

In regards to your BG levels, correct and check every hour, drink lots of water, talk to someone, let it go though it's doing you no good at all.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The bloods stress me out further, I find it so frustrating. I’m doing everything I can and they are still terrible and I’m starving. I’m not so bothered about the starving as the feeling so unwell.

But it’s my own fault I’m in this position.

I guess just keep increasing the basal until it stops rising all the time?

I think you need to eat it will make you worse starving yourself . You really should stop beating yourself up , we all make mistakes .

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Blood is 19 rising. No way I can eat. I haven’t really since I got the ticket on Tuesday.
I’m not bothered about the eating really but I am bothered about the damage it’s doing to my body. I might go for a walk and see if that helps.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well dear remember to breathe, cant you bring something to eat in your pockets with you whereever you go.. and something to drink?, sorry you have so much stress .. try to sleep a lot it sometimes help stress and one can regain power.. I dont like you calling your childrens mother names..I dont think we should talk like that in this forum.. well after all you are the one who made the problem by driving too fast ..all in all a speed ticket is not the end of the world.. there are so many other incidents that are much worse.... no-one was killed in the trafic...