amirarsalan

Hello guys
I'm Amirarsalan and new around here! I've been diagnosed with t1d since 2011 and ever since I've gone through a lot of stress without any reasons. However its getting worse these days and I'm asking you guys how you guys if you're also feeling the same way as one of T1D effects. I would appreciate it if you could help me out with any sort of guidence

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @amirarsalan, welcome to the website and thank you for being brave enough to share your concerns!
It may appear glib to say that experiencing stress is part of the human condition, but it can certainly make T1D a challenge to deal with. Over time I think most of us come to understand what is/are the underlying factor(s) leading to stress.
Sometimes the cause and effect of a stress just dawns on one, but sometimes via a chance association, remark, something read or seen; or via a counsellor, nurse, doctor etc.
And it is easy to be stubborn about managing T1D, becoming fiercely independent and not allowing others to help; becoming a one person band who self-reflects but cannot always accept feedback from others - I am talking here about part of my journey.
Stubbornness and obsessiveness kept my diabetes under control for a while but over time it was as 'the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune' were increasingly injuring and unfathomable that I needed help from outside the fortress that I had built around me.
We each have one or more stories about stress and develop ways to adapt, partly through identifying causes and effects (and often with outside help), minimising/preventing the causes and adapting our lifestyle. diet, insulin management to them.
My BSL rises when I watch an exciting (or scary) movie. That is a stress caused by something enjoyable - but it still needs addressing - in my case with adjustments to my insulin pump's basal regime. I call that short-term stress an Adrenaline fuelled one, short-lived, intense.
But for me at least it is the longer term stresses, which my doctors over the 51 years I have been on insulin, have said relates to the adrenal gland releasing cortisol, the hormone which is supposed to orientate your body to manage the longer term stresses.
I jokingly call these types of stress part of the "Cortisol Calamity". Cortisol makes insulin less effective, more stress simply = more insulin required. Except that stress is anything but simple.
Rather than delve into even more philosophical discussion at this stage, I would invite you to tell us something more about your diabetes, how you manage it, the victories and the defeats you have experienced and what you have tried so far to deal with stress.
Best Wishes, and this site has many who will have experiences and solutions to share.

Reactions: Leeannea