Stressful job. Employer not making reasonable adjustments?

flossy76

Hi, I work in a highly stressful job in London (for a very big money driven company). I am client facing and responsible for everything that happens on my clients (ie. I take all e flak when things go wrong).

About 5months ago my work made a change that has significantly increased mine,and my colleagues workloads. They are trying to rectify the issue but it does mean that I end having to spend about 2days extra each week sorting out the problems and making sure new ones don't happen. This is on top of my very busy job anyway.

As well as this I am supposed to have a support person to help me out but he is rubbish and I always end up having to re-do all his work (or apologise for things he has done wrong). They have offered me a new girl, but she has no experience and I would have to train her up ( which takes years).

A new person is starting on 9 th dec and I was told by one person that I could use them but now my boss is saying I can't as I already have support in place.

At the moment I am doing 3peoples job and finding it very hard. I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I, at e moment, do not have any serious complications. But the stress is playing havoc with my numbers and if this does not change I know it will affect my health. I am 34 diabetic and have never had a day off work due to diabetes, so far.

I have explained the situation to my boss and his boss, plus given examples of the poor quality of work. I have broken down a couple of times in work ( once yesterday and my boss just sighed at me). I'm at a loss what to do. I don't want to leave. All my colleagues are in a similar situation work wise but surely since I have concerns about my health they should make reasonable adjustments and give me the necessary support I need. I'm really not sure where I stand?

I don't get time for lunch which of course I am allowed but due to work pressures I have to usually work through. Plus when I do go hypo I usually just have to eat lots of glucose tabs and carry on. Again work pressure. I don't feel I can even take 20 mins out to recover.

I don't have a union, hr are rubbish and no occ nurse I could see. I don know what to do but know this can't go on like this as I'm so stressed out. (I probably could go off with stress but I can't let my clients down).

I have a meeting with the boss who sighed at me on Monday. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Stressful job. Employer not making reasonable adjustment

Hi Flossy 76,
I always end up having to re-do all his work (or apologise for things he has done wrong). They have offered me a new girl, but she has no experience and I would have to train her up ( which takes years).
Looks as if you are your own worst enemy, to soft and caring on other people etc;
Maybe it is time for you to change your image because your employer is now taking advantage of your current (dare I say weakness) actions.
I know it is easy to say, yet it is time for you to let them sort their own mess on their own.
Think about it your stress will let yourself down and down until it is to late.

Let your boss know that you will work hard, but can no longer sort out other work persons self inflicted work related errors, also untrained staff does not solve immediate work problems.

Just make sure you take care of yourself first, best of luck.
Roy. :)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Stressful job. Employer not making reasonable adjustment

"I don't have a union, hr are rubbish and no occ nurse I could see. I don know what to do but know this can't go on like this as I'm so stressed out. (I probably could go off with stress but I can't let my clients down). "

If you get stressed and make yourself ill you may have to take time off, or develop serious complications if you don't take care of yourself.......will your clients worry about you, compensate your time off or even be bothered? No one is indispensable but you only have one life and you are responsible for looking after yourself so you can live it.
Take some time off sick with stress and let your bosses realise just how much work you do and how useless your co-workers are....they may make suitable re-adjustments then when you return. By covering everyone elses backs and taking everything on yourself you are playing right into the bosses hands as they know the work will get done and they haven't got to worry about recruiting anyone else or moving folks around.

Take care of yourself.
Angie