Strip free glucose meter.

Feew27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have had type 2 diabetes for over ten years. For about five yeas now I have been diagnosed with essential tremor which causes my head, hands and often my body to shake.
So far I have been using a second hand Açcu chek glucose meter bought by myself this does not require strip insertion in to the meter but has a cassette that turns round in the machine to reveal a clean place to add blood.
This is great for me as I find inserting a strip into the slot almost impossible because of shaky fingers.
My meter is on it's way out and my Doctor does not offer these meters on NHS prescription.
I am wondering if there is anyone out there in the UK who knows of any strip free meters provided by the NHS or any that are reasonable to buy in the UK.
Takes weeks to get to speak to a diabetic nurse let alone a Doctor, so I thought it would be quicker asking here.
I am disabled and retired so do not have a huge amount of money to throw round.
I tried looking online but could find nothing. But then I am a computer numpty and probably using the wrong search words.
The stuff that comes up is advertising and just keeps trying to sell me strip based glucose meters, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had a quick look on Mr Google and it looks as if they were discontinued in 2022, although you can still get the cartridges. Maybe ebay might be your best bet

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Feew27 and welcome to the forums.
I'm wondering if you could use your tremor as a reason for your medical team to give you a continuous glucose monitor, libre or dexcom?

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good point @EllieM but if they’re anything like my GP practice they tell me I shouldn’t be testing and I should rely on my 3 monthly hba1c. And I’m definitely ignoring that bad advice!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good point @EllieM but if they’re anything like my GP practice they tell me I shouldn’t be testing and I should rely on my 3 monthly hba1c. And I’m definitely ignoring that bad advice!
But you're not on insulin and @Feew27 is. On insulin the consensus is to test, and if you drive you must test or you can't drive.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm wondering if you could use your tremor as a reason for your medical team to give you a continuous glucose monitor, libre or dexcom?
But finger pricks are still needed occasionally to check "weird" CGM readings

Feew27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a quick look on Mr Google and it looks as if they were discontinued in 2022, although you can still get the cartridges. Maybe ebay might be your best bet
Thanks for the info. They do still supply the cartridges. I will have to try find some alternative.

Feew27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am speaking, telephone to my diabetic nurse today as we are trying to find something that suits as they had to take me off Trulicity due to supply problems. Been on a couple of others since that made me ill. I will ask her, see what she says. Thanks for the suggestion.

Feew27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Goodness that is not good advice they gave for you not to test but rely on the three monthly reports. My GP practice told me I should be testing at least three times a day. Glad you are ignoring their advice.

Feew27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
But you're not on insulin and @Feew27 is. On insulin the consensus is to test, and if you drive you must test or you can't drive.
Hey, I am learning something new here. I should have joined this forum ages ago. My diabetic care team try their best but struggling. I usually have to resort to Google search to try and find out stuff for myself.

wheelspinner

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather
Hey, I am learning something new here. I should have joined this forum ages ago. My diabetic care team try their best but struggling. I usually have to resort to Google search to try and find out stuff for myself.
Have you ever been offered a place on an Expert Patient Programme for diabetes? I sat on one many years ago and it was very informative, and usually run by a few NHS diabetic nurses who are great at answering all your questions, and putting your mind at ease. The courses are over five or six half days, and within a few miles of where you live. Just ask your diabetic nurse next time you contact them.:)