Struggling With Fasting.

frankbegbie

Been fasting for almost 4 days.
Just liquids, Tea, coffee, water.
I was doing ok for the first 2 days (even managed my usual swim), but now my energy levels are very low.
Takes me all my time to take the dog for a slow walk.
Just got in after taking said dog for a walk and I just had to eat something. (couple of spoonfulls of cream cheese).
Feel a bit better but still not back to normal.
I don't really want to break my fast yet, but I don't think I can go on much longer like this.

My BG was 7.3 yesterday and 6.3 today.
I've been fasting from about 7pm till 1pm/2pm the next day for the last 6 months.
But was getting nowhere as fas as weight loss was concerned so decided to do this longer fast.
I was only diagnosed with Type2 twelve months ago, but I think I've probably had it for at leaste 20 years.

Feel like I may as well pack it all in at the moment; everything I try fails.

Reactions: Freema

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Please be aware that extended fasting can be detrimental to the immune system.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t pack in trying to improve your health - you need to find something that works for you and you can stick with.
Are you having any salt with your drinks? I’ve only ever done one meal a day fasting and 18/6 and so not an expert faster but felt much better when added salt to water/ coffee. I just had a small amount of pink Himalayan salt. Others have salty broth but you do need something. Or switch methods again to something like one meal a day. Key is to keep carbs low - I needed to keep below 20g to make a difference.
Also you don’t say what your bgs were when you started out just that you’re not losing weight. Maybe focus on the bgs as they go lower the weight should follow. Some people like me neededto go into keto fat burn8ng mode and then not over eat dietary fat - just enough to make me full so that I used my body fat for fuel. Hope this helps do keep going you will get there.
@bulkbiker any expert faster comments please ?

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was doing ok for the first 2 days (even managed my usual swim), but now my energy levels are very low.
Just got in after taking said dog for a walk and I just had to eat something. (couple of spoonfulls of cream cheese).
I don't really want to break my fast yet, but I don't think I can go on much longer like this.

I've been fasting from about 7pm till 1pm/2pm the next day for the last 6 months.
But was getting nowhere as fas as weight loss was concerned so decided to do this longer fast.
I was only diagnosed with Type2 twelve months ago, but I think I've probably had it for at leaste 20 years.

Then repeat it after some more experience with the very High fat diet and almost no carbs after some adapting it Will probably become easier for you when your body is used to live from fats

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @frankbegbie what eating regime are you on? I'm on Low Carb High Fat (LCHF). I fast 18/6 every day no food after 20.00 till 14.00 next day, only drink black tea, coffee and water during fast. I'm also now on very low carbs, 5% or less per day. One problem I found when starting LCHF was leg cramps due to low salt, this I remedied with a glass of salt water for a while. Hope you get sorted soon I'm sure we can help you get through this blip. :)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked for LADA? Or your fasting insulin level?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Perhaps your metabolism has gone into starvation mode and is trying to preserve what energy you have left.