Struggling

lindor1306

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’ve been diabetic nearly 18 years but my control has always been a bit poor. I was very rebellious in teen years and have never really got a handle on blood testing and diet management. I’ve had CBT and got a little better. My mum died from complications from diabetes and I’ve spent the five years since either terrified it will happen to me or resigned to it happening to me.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do to help myself here?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Many many T1s have or have had phases of not such good control. Long term, this leads to much higher risk of complications but many complications can be reversed or at least ameliorated by improving your control. I don't know how long your mother had diabetes but if she was T1 then she probably had it during times when blood testing wasn't available and everyone had much poorer control.

Make sure you have regular eye checks because they can treat diabetic eye issues so that you keep your eyesight.

As regards poor control, what sort of HbA1Cs are you talking about? Do you do regular blood tests? Do you feel confident to change your own insulin as a result of those tests? I always find my control improves significantly when I test my blood sugar more often. You could trial something like the freestyle libre to give you a continuous record of your readings....

But in any case, however "bad" your blood sugars are now, you can always improve them. Your diabetic clinic should help you do this if you reach out for help, and there's plenty of encouragement and suggestions to be had on these forums.

Good luck.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Hi

I’ve been diabetic nearly 18 years but my control has always been a bit poor. I was very rebellious in teen years and have never really got a handle on blood testing and diet management. I’ve had CBT and got a little better. My mum died from complications from diabetes and I’ve spent the five years since either terrified it will happen to me or resigned to it happening to me.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do to help myself here?

You have already taken the first step, by joining this forum and the second by asking for help. Well done, I'm not the best person to help or guide you through the mindfield of diabetes management because I'm as nutty as a fruit cake ( high in fats and sugars ) but and this is only an idea if you take your blood sugar readings in the mornings and post the results good or bad on this forum, perhaps one of the moderators could suggest where or follow your nose on the forum groups, then see how that helps you. I have a host of other medical and serious other problems, but anything below a reading of 10 for me is regarded as ok, but please please check with your diabetic DOCTOR for your levels to aim for. Then look to see how you can achieve them.

Reactions: EllieM