Stuck in a bad web

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right Mrs!
Time to get tough or you're going to end up in a coma.
Take your background insulin. Just do it, think of all the parents on here who've got kids, with type 1, babies, toddlers, grumpy or self conscious teenagers, those kids can do it and so can you ok?

My suggestion to you on your thread along the same lines last week was the 3 meals, remember?
Pick 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 3 dinners, carb count them precisely and stick to a rota of these meals?

Well I'll start you off with a breakfast one. One slice of toast has (on average before anyone shouts at me :)) 20g of carb.
A 200g bowl of Yeo valley full fat Greek yogurt with around 5 strawberries chopped up has 15g of carb. I live off this stuff ! It's delicious. So take your background and tomorrow eat breakfast and inject for it.

What's your insulin to carb ratio? Do you know?
How high is your BG right now? While you're giving yourself your background insulin, you may as well try and get your BG down while you're at it right???? Yes??? 10 seconds of your time. Quicker than getting yourself a glass of Coke. :banghead:

Other than that my final piece of advice is phone the Samaritans. Tel: 116 123

1.10 carb ratio
1.3 correction
Thank you

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Take a trip to a cancer hospice and then you`ll thank god you`ve only got diabetes

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you this morning @nessa1970
What's your BG?
Had any breakfast? More importantly have you had any insulin?
(Oops! You're in NZ? what time is it, maybe breakfast is not relevant, are you from NZ but now in the U.K.?)

Reactions: nessa1970

lunuka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Look, no one enjoys injecting and everyone gets sick to death of it but if you're not willing to inject multiple times per day (which will give you more control, better quality of life and allow you treats and as close to a "normal" life as possible) then speak to your diabetes team about taking mixed preps so you only have to inject 2x per day. Your control won't be as good as what it could be, but if you're reading "HI" you're going to make yourself very ill. Maybe not at the moment, but that won't last forever. My pump malfunctioned and I had one night without insulin and I ended up in acidosis so you're playing a very dangerous game.

As for coke and fizzy pop, there are diet alternatives and I know some people disagree that they taste the same etc but adding that sugar into your system isn't going to help at all. I'd advise for you to drink water where you can as a flushing agent too as it's less complex. If my sugars are high I always try to stick to water as other liquids just don't quench the same or make you feel better.

Like everyone else here, I know diabetes is rubbish; I've been battling with it for 15 years now, but unless you take care of yourself you're going to end up with some truly nasty problems (loss of eyesight, nerve damage/pain, organ damage). You can still live a normal life, you just need to adjust for it, and it will always be there but you develop ways of coping and means of controlling it to the best of your abilities and once it's part of your life it seems like far less of a problem. There are plenty of members of this forum who will support you with issues and when you feel fed up and who will empathise and who do actually know what you're going through, so it's a good place to vent. But trust me, a couple of injections per day and some tiny blood tests aren't worth dying over.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you this morning @nessa1970
What's your BG?
Had any breakfast? More importantly have you had any insulin?
(Oops! You're in NZ? what time is it, maybe breakfast is not relevant, are you from NZ but now in the U.K.?)
Yes I'm a kiwi an still here in ole nz
I did have a peice toast with Vegemite
Drinking water too
X

Pinkbunnyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I stopped taking insulin for three weeks an started taking some again
Mostly basal 8 morn sometimes at night use to be 12 an 12
I may correct a HI once every second evening
I am very weak tired cold hands feet legs bit heavy dry mouth thirsty I must drink eight litres a day at lest five are coke an or juice
I'm bloated in tummy I think if I don't no water
Anyway I am finding I'm on a journey I don't know how to stop
My fizzy is like herion
But I'm high sugars without coke so I no juice an coke isn't helping
But of course the sandpaper mouth makes me drink it
My ketones are fine
So I'm not dieing or in danger
So any advice cool
Thanks
Hello Nessa,
I'm new here, I'm type . I felt I had to reply to you. Please please look after yourself.
I ended up in DKA last January, my partner found me in a comma one morning and I spent 2 weeks in intensive care fighting for my life.
But I was lucky, after spending 8 weeks in hospital due to my multi organ failure, I have been left with severe neuropathy in both feet. The pain I've suffered over the last 15 months trying to recover has been excruciating. I'm only 40 and my life is now changed forever, I've lost my job and everything because if it.
Please don't do this to yourself, you have the power to control this. Don't let it beat you and don't let it ruin your life anymore than it has to.
Please Nessa x

Reactions: Kyambala

Nomi

@nessa1970

I just want to give you a really big hug! We all have bad times with this, you just need to focus on the small steps to take you in the right direction.

I started skipping injections a few years ago. I still took the insulin but I just took more as one injection so I didn't have to do it all the time.
I switched to an insulin pump a couple of years ago, yes you have to insert a cannula but it's only one every few days and it ticks over in the background and does it's thing.

Maybe this is something you can talk to your DSN about?

I hope things improve for you Hun

X

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Nessa, your friends on this Forum are very concerned for you and have been giving you very good advice.

RIGHT NOW, before you do anything else, go to A&E and tell them your problem - they will stabilise you and tomorrow go and see your DOCTOR.

I am serious. You are walking a very dangerous path.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Nessa, when you see your DOCTOR tomorrow ask if it would be possible for him to prescribe a "FREESTYLE LIBRE" for you on the NHS. The LIBRE can give you BG readings every 30 seconds if you wish WITHOUT you having to prick your fingers.

That way you KNOW what is causing the HIGH readings on your BG.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Last edited:

Blythe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know how you are feeling. I've been there. But if you do not take your insulin you could end up being blind like I am in one eye. Also you can get nerve damage.
No one likes injecting themselves every day or doing the finger testing. But diabetics have to it becomes a way of life.
Believe me I learnt the hard way and regret nor taking my diabetes seriously when I was younger. So sorry you have to take control and not the other way round

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'm a kiwi an still here in ole nz
I did have a peice toast with Vegemite
Drinking water too
X

Sorry Nessa I didn't realise that you were in New Zealand - I thought that you were in the UK.

You can buy the Libre on the Internet but it costs about £150 at first and then £100 a month after that. In your case I would recommend it until you are stabilised.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Nessa I didn't realise that you were in New Zealand - I thought that you were in the UK.

You can buy the Libre on the Internet but it costs about £150 at first and then £100 a month after that. In your case I would recommend it until you are stabilised.

Yes I really would love one of those as the finger pricking is what is hard my fingers hurt all the time it's awful
Is that the one you put in your arm an it's lasts two weeks an you swipe pass it an it shows the reading?

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I really would love one of those as the finger pricking is what is hard my fingers hurt all the time it's awful
Is that the one you put in your arm an it's lasts two weeks an you swipe pass it an it shows the reading?

Hello again Nessa. Yes you have the right description of the Free Style Libre. The £150 is for one months supply of the "thing you put on your arm" plus a "reader" which is a bit like a mobile phone. You can even "swipe" it through your clothes, so it is completely private.

After your first month you purchase 2 more little "things that you put on your arm" - each one lasts for 2 weeks and costs about £50 = £100 per month. Everyone on this Forum who has one says that they are GREAT.

Also check that your Lancet is not set too high. I usually prick with it set on number 2 because I am 75 and there is not as much fat/meat on my finger tips any more. When my DN does it she sets it on 4 and it hurts quite a bit. Being retired my fingers are also softer now.

Let us know how you get on.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again Nessa. Yes you have the right description of the Free Style Libre. The £150 is for one months supply of the "thing you put on your arm" plus a "reader" which is a bit like a mobile phone. You can even "swipe" it through your clothes, so it is completely private.

After your first month you purchase 2 more little "things that you put on your arm" - each one lasts for 2 weeks and costs about £50 = £100 per month. Everyone on this Forum who has one says that they are GREAT.

Also check that your Lancet is not set too high. I usually prick with it set on number 2 because I am 75 and there is not as much fat/meat on my finger tips any more. When my DN does it she sets it on 4 and it hurts quite a bit. Being retired my fingers are also softer now.

Let us know how you get on.

Okay I'll ask my dsn about how to go about getting this
I would be a lot of pressure off
Thank you very much

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay I'll ask my dsn about how to go about getting this
I would be a lot of pressure off
Thank you very much

WELL DONE THAT LADY. You may have to go on the Internet and buy one. I don't know how your health service works in New Zealand but in the UK, if you have a sympathetic Doctor, you may get one free on the NHS.

We are still hoping everything will work out well for you.

Keep us posted.