Stuck! Need ideas and advice!

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I've been T1 for 5 years, and went on an insulin pump in May. Since then my weight has yo-yoed between 69kg - 75kg (this time last year I was 60kg). I desperately need to lose weight as none of my clothes fit me and I start college in a month!

I've tried low carb high fat, and I did lose some weight but I found that I couldn't sustain it for a long period of time and as soon as I went back to normal eating I put the weight plus more back on. I have quite a good diet anyway - I'm vegetarian so I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables etc. I'm getting more and more disheartened every week as I\ve recently started doing A LOT of exercise, yet I'm still gaining weight.

I have a friend who is vegan, (not diabetic) who is doing the "Raw until 4" diet. She posted on a FB group for the diet asking if anyone had any ideas/credible links for me but I'm just not sure. Theres this one guy, "The mindful diabetic" on youtube who does a fruit based diet, and has great BG levels, but it seems to go against everything that's natural! 280g of carb in one meal? WHAT?!!!!!
does anyone have any experience with anything similar? Please no suggesting juices/raspberry ketones and stuff though!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

What amount of carbs are you having in a day.........?

Do you have hypos? If so how many......?

I don't have any diet tips unfortunately but just trying to identify if there is any other angle you could take.........

reducing insulin intake is a good idea.......have you done a basal test recently......

I suppose doing cardiovascular exercise too would be the best type of activity to do, as you don't want to build muscle......

what weight are you meant to be for your height.......?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just because someone has a Fruit diet and has low BS doesn't mean it's a good general diet for diabetics; it isn't. Some diabetics on this forum have only marginal blood sugar control problems whilst others have serious problems. Exercise is always helpful but diet has the most effect. You say you went lchf and then went back to normal eating. I'm afraid lchf isn't a temporary 'diet' it's a permanent life-style change for life; sorry. You have to find low-carb things that you enjoy and make up with fats, proteins and veg. Yes, being a vegetarian makes things more difficult but I'm sure you can find a way thru it

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, whatever diet you choose, you need one you can live with for the rest of your life. For diabetics, I think it all revolves around carbs and worst case being a vegi may not be the healthiest for a diabetic

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
280g of carbs for one meal would take industrial amounts of insulin to bring your bg down. Why not just reduce your carbs and eat them in moderation rather than trying to follow a strict diet that you find difficult to stick to.

As part of your annual diabetes checks you are entitled to see a dietitian through your hospital clinic, they will look at your diet and see where you can reduce your calorie intake, if you burn more calories than you consume the weight will eventually fall off.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can't sustain LCHF then try a reduced carb diet - say 150-180g per day and see if that helps.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The biggest thing with whatever type of diet you choose comes back to the fundemental fact that you need to expend more calories than you take in...

Using an app like Myfitnesspal allows you to see what you are putting in... and if you set it up properly will take into account any goals you may want to set up.

I'm set up to lose a half pound a week and eat accordingly. As someone who loves carbs I've used it to keep my carb average down and aim to eat less calories than the app asks me to... and if I want to eat more then I take more exercise. My exercise is rarely anything more than golf, gardening or walking and I'm managing to meet my goal without working dreadfully hard and keep good blood control as well.

I was diagnosed as type one earlier this year and do ok on novorapid & a single dose of lantus before bed. I've continued to lose weight since starting insulin, having lost about 8 kilos.

Reactions: 3 people