Study showing Vitamin D3 gives protection from early COVID-19 strains

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr John Campbell (nurse teacher) describes a study paper considering Vitamin D3:

Like John, I also take 4000 iu Vitamin D3 daily and 100 micrograms K2 daily. (I gather K2 makes any calcium liberated into blood by D3 go into your bones rather than hardening the arteries. Also, Vitamin D3 needs to be taken preventatively, before someone gets an infection.)

He quotes the paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-24053-4 which looked at pre-Delta strains (paper says Delta was more transmissible and more deadly):

(Bold highlighting mine)

Paper Abstract

Vitamin D deficiency has long been associated with reduced immune function that can lead to viral infection. Several studies have shown that Vitamin D deficiency is associated with increases the risk of infection with COVID-19. However, it is unknown if treatment with Vitamin D can reduce the associated risk of COVID-19 infection, which is the focus of this study. In the population of US veterans, we show that Vitamin D2 and D3 fills were associated with reductions in COVID-19 infection of 28% and 20%, respectively [(D3 Hazard Ratio (HR) = 0.80, [95% CI 0.77, 0.83]), D2 HR = 0.72, [95% CI 0.65, 0.79]]. Mortality within 30-days of COVID-19 infection was similarly 33% lower with Vitamin D3 and 25% lower with D2 (D3 HR = 0.67, [95% CI 0.59, 0.75]; D2 HR = 0.75, [95% CI 0.55, 1.04]). We also find that after controlling for vitamin D blood levels, veterans receiving higher dosages of Vitamin D obtained greater benefits from supplementation than veterans receiving lower dosages. Veterans with Vitamin D blood levels between 0 and 19 ng/ml exhibited the largest decrease in COVID-19 infection following supplementation. Black veterans received greater associated COVID-19 risk reductions with supplementation than White veterans. As a safe, widely available, and affordable treatment, Vitamin D may help to reduce the severity of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Notice Vitamin D3: Mortality within 30-days of COVID-19 infection was ... 33% lower

(Edited to clarify) The Dr Malhotra paper I linked to earlier reported from official UK Health Security Agency figures (Public Health England has been replaced by the UK Health Security Agency) that during the Delta wave, in the 80+ age range, 230 people were vaccinated to prevent one death. So, 230 x 3 = 690 people vaccinated to prevent three deaths, whereas (if comparable) Vitamin D3 would prevent one death rather than three.

The vaccine was most effective in the 80+ age range. Many more were vaccinated to prevent one death in younger age ranges:
Table2.png

Last edited: