Stuffing-any substitutes?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I made some home made pork burgers the other day and was very pleased with the results, they really were scrummy. plus the fact that pork mince (if you can eat pork) is leaner and cooks quicker than beef or lamb and is also much cheaper.

Apart from a load of seasonings, I also added some sage and onion stuffing mix (I do this with beef too) as it helps to bind them together and add flavour. Now I wouldn't have thought about a large heaped tablespoonful spread in with 2lbs of mince would have that much carb but if I wanted to replace the stuffing with something else, what could I use?

ta muchly

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well, the pre grated stuff DOES taste like sawdust (or doesn't!) :lol: :lol:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I add an egg and some mashed cauliflower. Makes a nice light texture.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Come on whitbyjet your expertise is needed here
CAROL

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well, I generally formulate my stuffings from meat(minced) chopped/ground nuts and herbs & spices, bound with eggs, sometimes flavoured with berries.
Sorry if it feels so vague, but once I got the core , I keep experimenting. :lol: :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Use egg as a binder and chill before cooking, the chilling will help to keep the burgers shape :thumbup:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Lots of ideas and advice as usual, cheers folks. I had one of these leftover so had it for brekkie the next day with a scrambled egg - it was really nice, savoury but not fatty.

I just can't handle fat in/on meat. :sick:

owain2

FergusCrawford said:
Well, the pre grated stuff DOES taste like sawdust (or doesn't!) :lol: :lol:

You don't actually taste the cheese but being so dry, it does a nice job in binding it all together. It's used in some Loukaniko recipes (Greek Village Sausages).

Owain

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use one egg in my mince together with onion, seasoning and one slice of grated toasted Burgen bread, the mixture (I made this on Monday night :) ) makes around 8 decent size burgers so roughly 1.5g of carbs in each burger from the breadcrumbs.