Stupid question of the day

Yai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello All, well my husband and Grandson are eating chicken goujons and Minion tinned spaghetti shapes for tea (I have had a full half term of trying to get sensible food down a youngster on its way to the rubbish bin). Just wanted to ask what most of you eat to accompany various nut butters? I usually select a small apple but recognise this is not a good choice. Wheat crackers are out of the window too. Any suggestions please?

( I had cheese omelette and walnuts for lunch and don’t want another cooked meal).

Thanking you in anticipation of some sensible answers.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All, well my husband and Grandson are eating chicken goujons and Minion tinned spaghetti shapes for tea (I have had a full half term of trying to get sensible food down a youngster on its way to the rubbish bin). Just wanted to ask what most of you eat to accompany various nut butters? I usually select a small apple but recognise this is not a good choice. Wheat crackers are out of the window too. Any suggestions please?

( I had cheese omelette and walnuts for lunch and don’t want another cooked meal).

Mix the nut butter with double cream. Beware it’s very addictive.

Reactions: Yai
D

Deleted Account

Celery.
The groove is perfectly shaped to fill with nut butter or cream cheese.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I spread it on a nice aged cheddar. But I also spread marmite on cheese so I might be weird.
I dont think thats weird - Marmite and cheese are nice together. Mind you I might be weird too - I also love a strong cheese with either lashings of black pepper or a good dollop of peanut butter

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have peanut butter on toasted wholemeal bread, it is 15 gms of carbs per slice, but that's ok for me.
Burgen Soya & Linseed bread would be a bit lower.

Reactions: maureen5752

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think a few slices of apple are wrong but I just eat it out of the jar or with some yoghurt.
Make my own (bake with salt for 10 minutes then blitz and am experimenting with cacao and desiccated coconut options....
Btw has anyone else gotten into chilled coconut (slice a bit off the block like cheese but hugely moreish)?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Another vote for celery, here. It's quick, it's tasty and the chew factor is good too. I used to spread peanut butter or a little Boursin on mine when I was snacking but tbh just a sprinkling of salt on wet celery is nice as well.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Not the question you asked, but I don't think chicken goujons and tinned spaghetti are that bad for growing (or long past growing) kids.
I was always grateful if we found something the kids would eat.
Usually tastes broaden as they get older.

Reactions: Yai

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Not the question you asked, but I don't think chicken goujons and tinned spaghetti are that bad for growing (or long past growing) kids.
I was always grateful if we found something the kids would eat.
Usually tastes broaden as they get older.
Yes, I know how you feel. My children went through a stage of only eating food that was golden coloured. I was worried if there wasn’t a bit of green on the plate. They got much better as they got older

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait, do we get a stupid question each or one per day for everyone because I think we should get to vote on the stupid question if its one for everyone, I probably have a way stupider question than this, this post is in fact proving my point and also answering my question so I guess its all good, nevermind, carry on.

:)

Reactions: Guzzler

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd tend to agree with @bulkbiker 's suggestion of a teaspoon, mainly because I find it difficult to get a larger spoon into the small Meridian jars!:banghead::banghead: So I generally eat my nut butters neat, but I've also sometimes added some to my muffin mix, used it as a topping for muffins or low carb ice cream (especially my modified to chocolate flavour crunchy hazelnut version), mixed the hazelnut butter with hazelnut flour , sweetener , cocoa and hazelnut oil to make a sort of porridge, and I have a yet untried recipe which uses Meridian crunchy almond butter as a topping on baked fish ... and of course peanut butter and celery is definitely a classic!:D I have some walnut butter which I'm not too fond of but I sometimes use that as a butter replacement on low carb bread and cheese. So very versatile stuff!

@Boo1979 I like the sound of the almond butter bread, and will maybe also try making it with my walnut butter.

Robbity

Reactions: Goonergal

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
A very stupid question here: what is nut butter?