Stupid question of the day

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A very stupid question here: what is nut butter?
Nectar of the Low Carb Gods maybe? :hungry:
It's a paste made with finely ground nuts that you can spread like butter, Sometimes it can include chopped nuts (crunchy versions), salt, sugar, or be combined with other things like coconut.. You can generally find peanut (probably best known) and coconut butters, but you can also buy almond, hazelnut, cashew, walnut, pistachio, and I believe macadamia nut butters too. Whole Earth and Meridian are well known brands. Or you can make your own.:D

Robbity

Reactions: porl69

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been enjoying celery, carrot and cucumber sticks, even though I hiccup. Not too much carrot right!

I need a grocery shop. Asap
Keep forgetting about my food needs. Kids still won't munch on my always ready veg.

Just peeled 100 button brussel sprouts and cooked forgetting no white vinager left for my sweet and sour sauce made with stevia not sugar. Humf. Low sugar jam dip would have helped but none in either.

I need a shop, just for me.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made some almond butter today and its turned out very nicely
The recipes online all seemed to disagree about whether to use roasted or unroasted nuts and also about oil - whether or not to add it and if so which oil so I winged it
Dry roasted about 2 mugs of almonds at 150 degrees for 15 mins, then when they'd cooled down a bit put them into the jug of my vitamix then added a little salt and some avocado oil, blitzed the lot initially on lowish setting then gradually increasing to highest setting , tamping the mix down a lot, adding some more avocado oil when it seemed to get stuck and hey presto 2 jars of almond butter!
Not sure it would work as well with a less powerful blender but Im going to experiment with brazil nuts and hazelnuts too
Prob 1.5 -2 tbsp avocado oil in the whole lot

Last edited:
Reactions: LooperCat

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I like it spread on rice cakes, on banana, on raspberries and also just off a spoon.
I don’t like celery but I’ve had flavoured almond butter rolled up with lettuce like a mini “wrap” and that wasn’t completely awful either!
It’s also nice melted on porridge, ice cream, or if you have a runny nut butter it’s nice mixed into thick natural yogurt too xx

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Nut butter brought all sorts of REALLY weird thoughts into my slightly strange head :angelic:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like it spread on rice cakes, on banana, on raspberries and also just off a spoon.
I don’t like celery but I’ve had flavoured almond butter rolled up with lettuce like a mini “wrap” and that wasn’t completely awful either!
It’s also nice melted on porridge, ice cream, or if you have a runny nut butter it’s nice mixed into thick natural yogurt too xx

OP is looking for lower carb options :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nut butter brought all sorts of REALLY weird thoughts into my slightly strange head :angelic:
At least I'm not the only one who thought of a testicular version of toe jam. And hey I actually used almond butter in the past year.

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
At least I'm not the only one who thought of a testicular version of toe jam. And hey I actually used almond butter in the past year.
Lol....phew I have found someone with the same mind as me

JeanCL

Peanut butter is the better known, but it's a jar of ground nuts, basically, sometimes with added sugar and salt to be wary of (!), much more moist than it sounds because of the oils - nice and filling!
There are almond and cashew versions etc. from Health Food stores and some supermarkets. Carb levels vary!

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go sit on the naughty step. At least that one sneaked past the mods!
In passing, not nuts but skins...I wondered the effect spud peel fried might have on my beloved bg. So neighbour was up for a bit of experiment bless her. We peeled spuds, soaked in water 15mins. Dried in paper towel then fried in an air frier (or whatever it is. It’s flash but reasonably priced now) for a few mins. Bit of salt (s*d it I have to die of something) tasted pretty good. Very little effect on bg. Result!! Then tried chopped kale, vile stuff but nice fried, butternut squash flesh, sweet potato. So it was an experimental afternoon with pretty good results. Even neighbours hubby, mr I can continue to eat at patisserie Valerie, was quite impressed. Nuff said...DYOR as they say.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek