Sudden change

Gentle Ben

Firstly - hello. I've been viewing these forums for quite a while and have found them invaluable.
I've recently noticed that my blood readings have increased significantly and I've a whole host of symptoms. I have T2 (controlled by diet) and it's not really caused me any bother other than having to watch my diet (which I do well).
Recently my blood sugar readings have gone crazy, regularly into the mid 20's with a waking Reading of around 18. I'm feeling pretty weird at the moment too.
Anything I can do in the short term until I can get a doctor's appointment?
Any suggestions gratefully received....

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum, Ben. Has anything changed in your life recently? Different medication, even unrelated to diabetes ? More stress? Change of diet ?

wallycorker

Hi Ben,

Cutting back dramatically on the starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc - usually leads to a big and quick improvement in blood glucose levels. I suppose that you are already aware of that?

Best wishes - John

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Gentle Ben said:
Firstly - hello. I've been viewing these forums for quite a while and have found them invaluable.
I've recently noticed that my blood readings have increased significantly and I've a whole host of symptoms. I have T2 (controlled by diet) and it's not really caused me any bother other than having to watch my diet (which I do well).
Recently my blood sugar readings have gone crazy, regularly into the mid 20's with a waking Reading of around 18. I'm feeling pretty weird at the moment too.
Anything I can do in the short term until I can get a doctor's appointment?
Any suggestions gratefully received....

Hi Ben, Welcome to the forum.
As Sue has stated we need to know more about your circumstances, diet, medications, perhaps other conditions etc so that we could give you better and more targeted advice.

I mean, we have no idea if you low carb, high carb, low GI/GL. So something about your present diet would be very helpful. Only then can we advise you correctly. We don't want to give you the wrong information for your circumstances. You may be on a reduced carb diet already for all we know.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ben
As the others have written, we need more information and a DRASTIC reduction in carbs in your diet WILL help. Even more so since you are diet controlled, or not as it seems at the moment. Numbers in double figures are DANGEROUS. No wonder you feel ill
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
hanadr said:
Ben
As the others have written, we need more information and a DRASTIC reduction in carbs in your diet WILL help. Even more so since you are diet controlled, or not as it seems at the moment. Numbers in double figures are DANGEROUS. No wonder you feel ill
Hana

So....if our friend Ben is already on a diet of say 40g carbs per day is that the same advice you would give to him, reduce your carbs drastically.

As we have stated before we cannot advise anything specific until we hear more from Ben. He may be on a Steroid or a Cytotoxic drug, both of which play havoc with Bg levels. Therefore can we please wait till we have the facts before advising somebody to do something specific !

Lizzie7

Hi Ben,

Your GP is your best bet but you may wish to call NHS 24 or your diabetic nurse, particularly if you feel unwell. I was told to do this if my sugars went over 16 at anytime. I think this is because they are watching for slow developing type 1 in my case.

Other factors might be:

- Do you have any infections at the moment? A bad tooth (which may not hurt yet) can cause huge, increases in blood sugar. Also check for any infected cuts, sores, abscesses etc anywhere on your body.
- Check your meter is functioning properly, particularly if it's been exposed to this freezing weather.
- Check you're not eating or drinking the sugary version of a something you intend to be sugar free (sounds strange but I bought Fanta instead of Fanta zero one week and didn't notice as the packaging is similar!)
- Take a close look at your diet and keep a detailed note of food intake and bg levels. This will help your GP.

xx