Sudden head rush

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought i would mention a weird experience i had this morning - been having a few issues with the DP for a while and fairly high readings 2 hours post meal (especially after lunch) for a while - but readings about 4-5 hours after luch do come down to within exeptable levels - any later they start to rise again - ie i can see them creaping up at around the 5-6 hour mark if i havn't eaten. I have (touch wood) think i have sorted the early morning rise by means of micro management of my condition and compensating for the rise by injecting an aditional unit of insulin with my breakfast at about 5:30am. I went to bed last night at 10:30pm at 5.8mmol and just to be safe i had 4 g of carb incase i went low in the night - My alarm went off this morning at 5am and when i got out of bed .... whoosh..... sudden head rush and a dizzy type feeling and automatically thought i was having a significant hypo!!! on checking my blood glucose levels i was suprised to find that my readings were 5.8 mmol!! This has never happened before and was wondering if anyone could throw a bit of light on this. Whilst i am over the moon that my BG levels were spot on..... i am a bit concern re the head rush and hypo feeling..... is this normal ????

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Morning @Postleneo From experience I wouldn't say this is linked to your type 1, it could simply of been a blood pressure issue, but with anything that is of a concern, get checked out by your doctor if this is worrying you ;)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
agree with @Juicyj on this. get to your GP for advice
I have had that sort of experience myself a few times in the past and for me it was related to hydration ( dehydrated)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was your body celebrating the fact you woke up at the exact same level as you went to bed - an occurrence so infrequent for T1Ds that the body just has a momentary lapse of self being! :D

Seriously a one off probably, but if it continually happens or you're worried about it see your GP.

You mention a steady rise during the day 5-6 hrs after eating which would indicate your basal isn't quite right, when do you do your basal injection(s)?

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was your body celebrating the fact you woke up at the exact same level as you went to bed - an occurrence so infrequent for T1Ds that the body just has a momentary lapse of self being! :D

Seriously a one off probably, but if it continually happens or you're worried about it see your GP.

You mention a steady rise during the day 5-6 hrs after eating which would indicate your basal isn't quite right, when do you do your basal injection(s)?

I usually basal (5 units of Lantus) at 6pm in the evening - due to be seeing my DSN next week and want to discuss some basal fasting using a CGM if this would be an option. I did used to basal at 10pm but seemed wake in the night with a hypo at times dont know if that was related to the basal times or due to honeymooning?? no idea.