Sudden high sugars

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have been through the wringer a bit. I'm just wondering whether it would be worthwhile trialling a CGM to see what your levels are doing- combine it with a food diary (and maybe sleep/stress if they are different than normal) and see if there is anything that it shows.
I really hope that you get the appointment- you are so young so the quicker you can get this resolved the better.

And also to say- impressed with getting back on the wagon after one day off- many find that tricky.

Good luck and let us know how it goes at the hospital.

Reactions: EllieM

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've finally had some blood tests booked, including a c-peptide test, but I am a bit confused as they've gone from telling me it's a fasting test to saying I need to eat a meal beforehand, but when I search it online it says it's a fasting test (and also don't take my medication on that day?) I will check again with the clinic but was wondering if anyone knew more.

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bloods are back to being between 7-10, even with fasting until very late evening. It curiously seems to be in the two weeks leading up to my time of the month and fell last time when it arrived, but I've never experienced such a large disturbance because of that and haven't heard of it happening to anyone else, either. But it's interesting how my blood sugars go down so much for the other two weeks of the month with no lifestyle or diet change. Frustrated as my appetite has gone up so it's hard to just eat one meal a day to avoid the mid-day 10 reading. I have the C-peptide test coming up this Friday.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m pretty useless so can’t contribute or be any help, but just to say, I had a Cpep that required eating my biggest meal of the day two hours before the test, also you may need to test sugars at time of test, the people at doctors seemed pretty clueless so make sure you have recorded it or test won’t mean anything (apparently) good luck.

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’m pretty useless so can’t contribute or be any help, but just to say, I had a Cpep that required eating my biggest meal of the day two hours before the test, also you may need to test sugars at time of test, the people at doctors seemed pretty clueless so make sure you have recorded it or test won’t mean anything (apparently) good luck.

Thanks for the tips! I know they've also booked other blood tests with it that are fasting but didn't reschedule those, so I wonder if they'll be voided. Did you just note down your sugars at the time for the consultant later or give it to them?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tips! I know they've also booked other blood tests with it that are fasting but didn't reschedule those, so I wonder if they'll be voided. Did you just note down your sugars at the time for the consultant later or give it to them?
They didn’t ask for my numbers when they took the test but the consultant asked and luckily I had googled the test so had it recorded.

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They didn’t ask for my numbers when they took the test but the consultant asked and luckily I had googled the test so had it recorded.

Thanks, I'll make sure to do the same. Sorry to ask another question, but did you take your diabetes medications prior to the test? I'm trying to get hold of my DN to find out if I should but because I take Gliclazide I assume that could impact it.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I took my normal meds and injected insulin for the meal (McDonald’s lol), my bg was 8.8 and cpep result was 0.05 I believe the point of cpep test is to see how much natural insulin we produce, cpep is not itself insulin but is produced alongside natural insulin so it’s a good indicator (or something like that)

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my latest hbA1c result, it's 58. It was 77 in December and 101 the last time it was recorded in 2019, so probably even worse when I started this journey in November. I'd expect it to be lower if I weren't having these sudden increases in sugar for weeks at a time with no diet change, but at least it is falling.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing really well! It can be a longish journey, and progress isn't usually linear, but you are well on your way.

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly bloods have been in the 7-10 range for most of February... I found in the last few days eating one evening meal a day got my sugars down and keeps them stable but if I even have so much as one plain egg during the day they rise back up and stay there. Not ideal as my vertigo doesn't love the fasting and I like to have another small meal. Hopefully my appointment doesn't get cancelled again as I'm under 20g of carbs daily now and wouldn't know what else to do. :(

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Endocrinologist cancelled yet again... this time I didn't find out until I arrived for the appointment o_O

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly my hospital appointment has now been changed to a telephone one, but I am pleased to update that my bloods have been in range for a month thanks to sticking to OMAD. Turns out even a tiny snack like an egg spikes my sugars a lot during the day, but only eating dinner late on the evening keeps my bloods staying between 4-7 mostly, with the odd 8 and 9 reading, which is from the exact same meals so I'm hoping it's just something that might improve over time. Do wish I was having better results with weight loss considering all I'm doing but it's something I'll bring up hopefully.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Sadly my hospital appointment has now been changed to a telephone one

Maybe they'll be less likely to cancel if it's a phone one? Did you get your cpeptide results etc.?

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe they'll be less likely to cancel if it's a phone one? Did you get your cpeptide results etc.?

Sadly they came back as "lab error", but my diabetic nurse is now saying they can do them at the GP this time. They were booked in for Friday but sadly my mother who I care for tested positive for covid 5 days ago, so I don't want to risk spreading it so will rearrange when she calls me.

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Long time no update. I finally received my test results that I do not have MODY. I am a young type 2 (diagnosed at 14/15). I also finally had a telephone appointment with a member of the endocrinologist's team this week who agreed the signs seem to point to lipodystrophy given I developed NAFLD under the age of 10 and have familial high cholesterol.

Changing my diet to OMAD and eating 20 carbs daily has settled my blood sugars nicely and if I stick to that I can go medication free, but it does have it's "mood swings" of sorts where despite changing nothing (I am getting frustrated with having the same meals all the time but I can try and find some new ideas) my sugars rise, and then I will take one tablet. I was very slowly losing weight (2-3lbs a month) eating 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day but that has halted which is frustrating as I am often hungry - but the doctor took that on board and said we can look into it, which is better than my GP brushing it off.

Other tests have to be done to rule out other conditions that might stop me storing fat on my limbs first but hopefully I will actually be seen face to face at the hospital in December. I do feel a bit isolated as a young type 2 (doctors always assume I'm type 1!) and with the potential lipodystrophy as it is rare and wonder if there's ways to connect with other young type 2s. But I am glad that my blood sugars are finally more stable, and I have been eating keto for a year in November. I am also lucky that the hospital were happy with my liver and cholesterol results and are happy for me to keep eating the "high fat" diet, even though I do wish I was getting the weight loss results others seem to achieve.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Changing my diet to OMAD and eating 20 carbs daily has settled my blood sugars nicely
That's really good, am so pleased you've found something , and have stuck to it

eating 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day but that has halted which is frustrating as I am often hungry
It sounds like you are eating too little. Perhaps try staying OMAD but increase proteins and fats until you stop being hungry. At only 1200 calories a day your body will have gone into starvation mode and will be clinging on to everything you put into it

With your unusual history you might want to start reading up on the gut microbiome
2 American doctors in particular William Davis
And Emeran Mayer
They both are on YouTube, podcasts and have books..

I'm no doctor and feel free to ignore me but something tells me you had an autoimmune event back in your teens that knocked your metabolism off course. These 2 and other doctors think you can get it back on track again. Keto and blood sugars was the first step, so hopefully from here on its just tweaks to your food.