Sudden Illness

deeds24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
I was at the hospital yesterday morning and I suddenly took ill. I was actually taking my husband in for an operation and I was mortified whilst speaking to the nurse I came out in a cold sweat, started shaking and went deathly pale. I explained I hadn't taken my meds yet as I don't like to drive for at least a couple of hours after taking them. Anyway to cut a long story short the nurse checked my bg and it was 12.5 fasting, my blood pressure was high and pulse fast a doctor came to check me over and he advised me to make an appointment to see my GP. The nurse took my name and date of birth, will she send this info to my GP or worse to the DVLA? She didn't say she would and it's only now I've thought about it I'm concerned. I didn't drive home by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How awful for you, I wonder if the stress of the day had an impact on your bg, bp and pulse, however it seems sensible to get checked over by your gp just to be safe and hopefully put your mind at rest.

As far as I'm aware the DVLA are not notified, the only way that they would know is if you declare it or they happen to write to your gp surgery should you needed to renew your licence or declare a new medical condition to them.

deeds24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Noblehead,
I'm actually type 2 and on 1500mgs of metformin daily so don't need to inform DVLA yet. Yes I agree with you about it being the stress of my hubby going in for an op that got to me. Hope it doesn't happen again, I don't do stress. Lol

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I imagine the nurse asked for your name and date of birth because she needed to record that she and the doctor had checked you over.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Noblehead,
I'm actually type 2 and on 1500mgs of metformin daily so don't need to inform DVLA yet. Yes I agree with you about it being the stress of my hubby going in for an op that got to me. Hope it doesn't happen again, I don't do stress. Lol

Yes I did see on your profile that you are a type 2 before I replied @deeds24.

With all these things it's best to get checked out, also hope your husband makes a full recovery. Best wishes.