Type 2 Suddenly becoming more sensitive to Hypers.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
Hi there,

I'm type 2 and got diagnosed about 9 months ago. Over the last few weeks I seem to have become much more sensitive to high glucose levels. In the past I have not had any of the symptoms of Hypers, but now I am really suffering when my sugar is high. I was wondering if this is normal progression with the condition or if something is wrong with my medication. I'm due to see my doctor this week but he isn't the easiest to talk to about things.

any help would be great.

Reactions: Freema

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
How high are your sugars @simonr1 ? What symptoms are you getting?
high level lately is between 7 and 8. All the symptoms of hypers. needing to pee, blurred vision, thirsty, extreme tiredness. before this last few weeks I wasn't having any symptoms even when my sugar was higher, around 9.0. I am having trouble with keeping my sugar lower because of stress at work and the hours I'm keeping. Can you help with an idea?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that it is actually a good sign - your body has returned to normal and doesn't want to put up with high BG any longer.
The problem is to increase control of glucose levels.
What medication are you on?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
high level lately is between 7 and 8. All the symptoms of hypers. needing to pee, blurred vision, thirsty, extreme tiredness. before this last few weeks I wasn't having any symptoms even when my sugar was higher, around 9.0. I am having trouble with keeping my sugar lower because of stress at work and the hours I'm keeping. Can you help with an idea?

I usually get symptoms at approx 8 or 9, so yes, your symptoms are appearing at a slightly lower level. It may be worth doing a few extra tests to check you're not missing any highs - eg when you test and get 7 was it 10 earlier, which might cause the symptoms you're getting?

If you can tell us a little about your meds and what you're eating, then that would help :)

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I usually get symptoms at approx 8 or 9, so yes, your symptoms are appearing at a slightly lower level. It may be worth doing a few extra tests to check you're not missing any highs - eg when you test and get 7 was it 10 earlier, which might cause the symptoms you're getting?

If you can tell us a little about your meds and what you're eating, then that would help :)

I'm on 2000mg (1000 in morning 1000 evening) each day and exenatide subcutaneously once a week. also on satins not sure if they affect glucose levels.
Eating is a real problem, I'm a teacher so I have to grab a bite between lessons some days. and it's not that easy to eat properly. I do try and limit my carb intake, I have hardly any refined sugar, and that has been something I've been doing for years. When I was first diagnosed I started on a very high protein diet (and things were really good.), but with work sometimes when I get home I don't have the will or even the time to cook anything.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Teaching is definitely tiring! Perhaps try a bit of bulk cooking so you can freeze meals in portions so you have some easy meals on busy days?

I'm a Type 1 on insulin, but to save mental effort, I often stick to tried and tested breakfasts and lunches which I know work for me.

If you're finding meal planning hard - and diabetes does make it more difficult - you could look around the Food section here, or even start your own thread asking for suggestions.

Controlling carbs is a good first step for most people.

Snaptoit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi simonr1 ,
You say in your post that you're due to see your doctor this week but he isn't the easiest to talk to about things.

Are there any other doctors available in your area? Maybe get a 2nd or more opinions. Communication can be very important I've found with a doctor.

Maybe you can also ask fellow colleagues at work or friends if they know of a good doctor, and give them a try. Maybe also Google for an endocrinologist near your area, and see them. Only ideas.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi simonr1 ,
You say in your post that you're due to see your doctor this week but he isn't the easiest to talk to about things.

Are there any other doctors available in your area? Maybe get a 2nd or more opinions. Communication can be very important I've found with a doctor.

Maybe you can also ask fellow colleagues at work or friends if they know of a good doctor, and give them a try. Maybe also Google for an endocrinologist near your area, and see them. Only ideas.

I'm living in the middle east so the doctors you can see are limited to where your insurance can be used. I work with a few other diabetics but they don't really want to talking about it. In fact I went into a hypo in front of them and they didn't even realise until I needed medical attention. Strange but true. I'm moving jobs soon anyway so I'll have a new doctor then. Thanks for the advice.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Teaching is definitely tiring! Perhaps try a bit of bulk cooking so you can freeze meals in portions so you have some easy meals on busy days?

I'm a Type 1 on insulin, but to save mental effort, I often stick to tried and tested breakfasts and lunches which I know work for me.

If you're finding meal planning hard - and diabetes does make it more difficult - you could look around the Food section here, or even start your own thread asking for suggestions.

Controlling carbs is a good first step for most people.

I have real trouble cooking to be honest, unless it can be put on the old George Foreman grill I'm not a great fan of it. I can happily live on meat alone. Thanks for you help.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have real trouble cooking to be honest, unless it can be put on the old George Foreman grill I'm not a great fan of it. I can happily live on meat alone. Thanks for you help.

Then clever choices amongst pre-prepared foods is a good option, if you can afford it. There are some good options if you look carefully - both ready to eat, and ones that are all prepared for you so you quite literally just stick them in the oven,

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm type 2 on insulin since September although I've been diabetic for about 30 years.used to take 2000mg metformin a day. Even with diet control I can't seem to keep my bg levels below 8.0 mmols for any length of time. MyDN told me she's happy enough if my sugar levels stay round 8, but I'm not sure.

My doc is the same to be honest, but I'm trying to get my sugar to be more regular. it's also yo-yoing at times.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Then clever choices amongst pre-prepared foods is a good option, if you can afford it. There are some good options if you look carefully - both ready to eat, and ones that are all prepared for you so you quite literally just stick them in the oven,
I know there are, but I'm in the middle east and frozen foods from the UK are really expensive and have often been refrozen after they are defrosted. That's one reason why I don't use them. Most food out here is fresh and cheaper than frozen. I'm hoping things will be better soon work wise and I can get back to the gym and eat better.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry @simonr1 I didnt realise that.

That must make it more difficult for you. As I don't know exactly what's available, my only suggestion is to keep it very simple and repeat meals so that you don't have to think too much.

Good luck :)

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry @simonr1 I didnt realise that.

That must make it more difficult for you. As I don't know exactly what's available, my only suggestion is to keep it very simple and repeat meals so that you don't have to think too much.

Good luck :)
cheers for the advice and help. I'll keep on trying to sort things out.

Reactions: azure