sugar intake recommendation needs lowering. News today.

honey badger

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting to hear a government bod banging on about sugar on news today..
Still ok to eat carbs like nobodys business,Jeremy Vine put it to her that a banana was the devils mars bar.
She replied, no thats wrong, two a day would not be a problem.
Still spouting rubbish when trying to convice people to give up suger, but still eat it..

Reactions: 6 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still ok to eat carbs like nobodys business,Jeremy Vine put it to her that a banana was the devils mars bar.
Still spouting rubbish when trying to convice people to give up suger, but still eat it..
Agree....they have no clue.....they should get a few of us on there to tell them the truth about what is in food and what effect it has. Tired of listening to so called experts who don't know what they are talking about . Unless they look at the whole picture they will only ever get half the answers

Reactions: 2 people

Cashmere

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think she is just referring to added sugar stuffed into foodstuffs:confused:

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Listen to the Jeremy Vine discussion, JV said he gets pop-up adverts on his computer saying that banana's are the devils Mars Bar , they were discussing at the time if the sugar in fruit were the same as those in the likes of fruit juice and smoothies which his guest addressed, this discussion comes on the back of the campaign for the government to make food producers reduce the sugar content of their foods.

btw, I eat one, sometimes two (if bg levels need topped up during exercise) every day, there's no way you could compare them to a Mars Bar as nutritionally they are miles apart :)

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Noblehead wrote, "There's no way you could compare them (bananas) to a Mars Bar". Being of a curious disposition, and, most unusually, in possession of a banana, I decided to test this hypothesis.
A quick internet search indicated that a typical banana (yes, I weighed mine, sad, isn't it) would contain 23g of carb, compared with the Mars Bar's 40g. While there is not much else of interest in the Mars Bar, the banana contains 20% of daily requirements of Vit B-6, 14% of VitC, 10% of potassium and traces of iron and Vit A. While all these bits and bobs are useful, for anyone controlling diabetes by keeping carbs low rather than through medication, I would suggest finding these nutrients elsewhere and continuing to picture the said plantain in a brown confectionery wrapper.
Sally

Reactions: 6 people

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
They need to go back to the drawing board!!!!
Nearly everything has hidden sugar in some form. They're hell bent on portraying sweets and pop as the only food that has sugar in it.
Makes my glucose boil !!!

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Noblehead wrote, "There's no way you could compare them (bananas) to a Mars Bar". Being of a curious disposition, and, most unusually, in possession of a banana, I decided to test this hypothesis.
A quick internet search indicated that a typical banana (yes, I weighed mine, sad, isn't it) would contain 23g of carb, compared with the Mars Bar's 40g. While there is not much else of interest in the Mars Bar, the banana contains 20% of daily requirements of Vit B-6, 14% of VitC, 10% of potassium and traces of iron and Vit A. While all these bits and bobs are useful, for anyone controlling diabetes by keeping carbs low rather than through medication, I would suggest finding these nutrients elsewhere and continuing to picture the said plantain in a brown confectionery wrapper.
Sally
Indeed.

Perhaps bananas would be better described as half a Devil's Mars Bar.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sally

Thanks for doing the search @sally and james, as said nutritionally they are miles apart :)

Yes if your keeping your carbs low then banana's may not be a suitable option.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To me the scary part is they are only talking about sugar. All of us here know that it isn't sugar alone causing obesity and diabetes....it is carbohydrates too. The powers that be getting hysterical over sugar is not enough...the culprit is not that alone as we know all to well. They seem oblivious to the fact that carbs turn to glucose and cause the huge increases in weight that lead to obesity. Maybe when they grasp that then they may get to the root cause of obesity by explaining it to people that have no idea. It is easy to misunderstand what is and isn't healthy when manufacturing labeling leads many to believe that the ''low fat'' ''reduced sugar'' options are the right way to go. Confusion reigns and educations is needed

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not really one for listening to "experts" as they don't really seem to know a great deal. They are trying to introduce a sugar tax over here but it's only half the problem. Most kids will go to the dairy and get a pie and a can of fizzy and the pie usually has 50g carbs in it.