Sugar level spikes and change in symptoms

char87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have been quite ill over the last few months (Sepsis and then recurrent infections since) Since I came out of hospital I have noticed that my warning signs when I am high (eg 15+) are not the same- I used to need the toilet a lot and feel very thirsty but now I seem to get a headache but not the usual thirst/ toilet visits. Is there any reason for this? have had diabetes for 20 years and always use to have the signs when I was high. I also seem to be recently getting high spikes quite suddenly. I can shoot up to 20+ very quickly with food that would usually not bring me up that much. Am aware I need to retest my background needs but just wondered if ongoing illnesses can cause anything like this?

Thanks
Charlotte

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on any medication for your illness? There are a few meds (particularly steroids) that shoot my levels up. (I'm sure that even inhaler steroids affect my levels... Illness can do it too (I always run really high with colds). Not sure about the change in symptoms for highs, although I know changing insulin can affect low symptoms.

Sorry that's not more help!

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Do you feel like your insulin isn't working ?
I have had this feeling before and it may be caused by a lack of activity - I have found that even a walk downstairs for a cup of tea may be enough to stimulate the insulin. I find that unless you move around your insulin alone won't keep your blood sugars in check.
Also stress causes high blood sugar as it stimulates the fight/flight mechanism which causes a release of sugar into the blood from the glycogen stored in the Liver.

Even a small amount of activity will help also relaxation and foods which are good for slow release of sugar like rice, pulses like peas and beans with meals.
I hope this helps a bit.