Sugar Levels Increasing but I feel fine

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nuts, cheese, tea and coffee
Back in September I got my HBa1c down to 39, since then I have fallen off the wagon big style. Generally eating what I want, my sugar levels have slowly started increasing anything upto 16!!!!! So I realise that my levels will have risen but it doesn't seem to matter what I eat now my levels remain high. I drink plenty of water and exercise and I'm not overweight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated it. I've just had a blood test and waiting on the result. So I may be panicking for nothing but it does seem very strange. I'm currently on 1000mg x 2 daily Metformin SR.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to continue with a low-carb diet anyway and keep using the meter. As you are slim it is always possible that you may be a late onset T1 (LADA) and not T2. If your BS continues to go up despite low-carbing do ask the GP for the two tests for LADA (GAD and c-peptide)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Unfortunately you can become acclimatised to high blood glucose levels so would be perfectly normal to feel fine. It's vital you get to the bottom of this though as keeping your glucose levels down to a manageable level is vital for your long term health and your high levels could mean you have been misdiagnosed and need to change your medication. Let us know what your results say ?

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. You need to continue with a low-carb diet anyway and keep using the meter. As you are slim it is always possible that you may be a late onset T1 (LADA) and not T2. If your BS continues to go up despite low-carbing do ask the GP for the two tests for LADA (GAD and c-peptide)
Thank you for you advice, I will ask to see if these tests are possible.

Reactions: porl69

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unfortunately you can become acclimatised to high blood glucose levels so would be perfectly normal to feel fine. It's vital you get to the bottom of this though as keeping your glucose levels down to a manageable level is vital for your long term health and your high levels could mean you have been misdiagnosed and need to change your medication. Let us know what your results say ?
Thank you for your advice, will let you know

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for your advice, will let you know
Juicyj thought you'd like to know that you were right, I had obviously become accustomed to high sugar levels. My Hba1c was back up to 80, so I need to knuckle down and get it down. It's a reality check for me, as I was sticking my neck in the sand and ignoring my daily figures. I have an appointment with my diabetes nurse next week so will talk things through with her. I've just had a stressful few months which haven't helped but it's an excuse. Thanks again for your comment, much appreciated