sugar levels

jas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi all,

I have been diagonosed T2 4 years ago. I have been on matformin twice daily for 2 years. I have been told my diabetes is under control. I check my sugar levels 2 hours after meal it normally ragnges between 5.9 to 7.9. My morning blood check coming same. I have been on strong antibiaotics for last few days. Do antibiaotics raise blood sugar as well. I have read somewhere that Grapefruit is helpfull for diabetics. I have tried this week but it raised my blood sugar to 9 as soon as I ate.

JasiJ

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you have an infection that requires antibiotics then the infection will raise your blood sugars. If you take statins at all please check with your doctor before eating grapefruit as statins and grapefruit do not go well together!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sue's right of Course!
In addition, Grapefruit also contains sugar, even if it doesn't always taste as if it does. Canned grapefruit contains quite a lot
Hana

jas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your replies. I am only on Matformin not any other medication like statins. Trying to keep my sugar levels in control with metformin and long walk after evening meals.

MING

My husband's been on 40mg simvastatin for around 10 years, and nobody ever told him about grapefruit !! :shock: They don't seem to tell us much around here..

Sweet3x

as a T1, I have always been told fresh grapefruit is 'free' ie, can eat one without counting it. I've never taken it into account when I've calculated my breakfast insulin, and have never seemed to suffer. Maybe it's different for T2's though.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi sweet3x.

As a T1 you are able to eat your carbs and cover it with Insulin. It is certainly not 'free.'

It is low on the Glycaemic index and a half a fresh Grapefruit contains 7.8g carbs (Collins Gem GI). So you should be counting it alongside other foods. It is no different whatever type of Diabetic you are.

Sweet3x

ah well, I'm just going by what I was told 25 years ago :) I used to eat grapefruit like oranges, even in the hospital when I was a kid. I still do eat them, sometimes, when it's really hot and I feel like something refreshing (although with a spoon in the traditional grapefruit fashion, rather than peeled like oranges). I've never taken insulin when I've eaten them, and I've never noticed a rise in bs. But I'm not going to argue :)
I guess we all have our own way of dealing with stuff :)

wallycorker

MING said:
My husband's been on 40mg simvastatin for around 10 years, and nobody ever told him about grapefruit !! :shock: They don't seem to tell us much around here..
Tell him to look on the label on his tablets - mine have a warning on that. Also, to read the literature that comes with the tablets. It is a well known situation.