Type 2 Sugar meter accuracy

Micheljb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People nagging about their health condition and who do not see others'
Since I was confirmed with type II in 1994. General practitioners prescribed me common models of sugar meters. Two years ago I had a two month's trip when my endocrinologist prescribed a new model of meter(Accu Check Mobile - Roche). I was thrilled to use a "two in one" model.A year ago, after few random readings I noted that some were absolutely unusual hitting abnormal levels(15 mmol) and one minute later reading 8 mmol the logical explanation was the hardware could be faulty. I called the manufacturer and got walked through a process where they (Tech support) made all possible to convince me I was testing in a wrong manner. they even replaced the component, sent me a different model and walked me through the testing process as if I was somehow careless in using their product. Not willing to fight a lost battle with a pharmaceutical firm I changed manufacturer.
Yet got back to the Accu-Check mobile device for its conveniency. I was wondering if such hardware behaviour did ever occur to anyone using a sugar meter: I mean the irrational readings within a minute of two of testing.
I feel enough concerned asit is a critical component in my life as a diabetic: how far could I trust such hardware ?

Micheljb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Is there a test sample to help calibrate or check accuracy
Yes of course, I got from the manufacturer the two tests to calibrate, went through the entire process twice (just to make sure) yet the tech support left me with the impression I was doing something wrong... finally it endend with a recommendation to use a different model or sugar reader (classic model) I really felt turning in circle with no tangible answer.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Could it be that the test strips were faulty rather than the meter?

Micheljb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Could it be that the test strips were faulty rather than the meter?
Hello,
Every possible step was done (Strips, batteries, change of device, calibration tests) After reading an article on this forum about low (cold) temperatures and the direct effect on reading I do understand better that the very cold temperatures may have been the direct cause of such erratic readings.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, much appreciated

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had that happen as well. If it seems ‘off’ from what I’m expecting I take it again. For me, as a T1 insulin user it can make a huge difference in the amount of insulin I take.

Reactions: EllieM

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Fellow Canadian. Search "Canada free glucose meter" and get a new one. Some pharmacies will also give you one if you ask.

Micheljb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fellow Canadian. Search "Canada free glucose meter" and get a new one. Some pharmacies will also give you one if you ask.
Yes I know we can get free meters according to manufacturers promotions. My interest was and remains to the Accu Check mobile for its convenient properties especially when out on travel or during meetings

If I may share such thought: other than changing meter, what would you consider reliable if you had such issue with your meter ? (Just asking to learn from the your expert's point of view)

Last edited:

Micheljb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi. All meters have to meet a standard of +/- 15% accuracy.
Thank you for your contribution, so much appreciated.

Then allow my mind to understand where should I stand when at 5:45 my meter reads 12.6 mmol and at 5:46 it reads8.9 mmol (SIncerely and seriosuly) I am not sure which resut to trust. In one year I have changed 3 timesmeters with the samefirm. My point is are these meters faulty or not ?
If some members feel annoyed that thread, please indulge me and allow me to better understand how people are keen on sharing their knowledge. I live with type since 1994 (24 years) and yet I cansee there is so much critical information I may learn and understand.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Have you tested the meter with a control solution? That's the only other option I can think of. Someone else may have another suggestion.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
First Morning Readings.
I have just started using a glucose metre after my doctor refuses to give me strips.
My reading yesterday morning was 10.8 but this morning 7 seems to have gone down I am aiming to get to 4 or 5 if I can.I know stews make my readings very hog but am now making sure they have no sugar and very little potato in although they are still 13.2 two hours after.
Is there anything else I should be doing please.?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First Morning Readings.
I have just started using a glucose metre after my doctor refuses to give me strips.
My reading yesterday morning was 10.8 but this morning 7 seems to have gone down I am aiming to get to 4 or 5 if I can.I know stews make my readings very hog but am now making sure they have no sugar and very little potato in although they are still 13.2 two hours after.
Is there anything else I should be doing please.?

If you spike more than 2mmol/l from before eating to the 2 hour mark, there are too many carbs in that meal. What else is in your stews? Do you thicken them with anything, such as Bisto or other high carb stock cubes or flour? What veggies are in them? Every single ingredient needs looking at and analysing for carb content. It should also be remembered that any carbs cooked for a long time, such as is required in a stew, is likely be more potent than the raw equivalent.

Reactions: dbr10

dipsydo

I did have some trouble with strips when those is in a open tub got more inaccurate the longer the tub had been open ( this occurred with two tubs of same Batch and not others ) I complained to Roche and got a similar reaction to you that I was my fault and the way I was testing . I was not impressed and got a Tee2 as an alternative because if going to be inaccurate might as well pay less for the strips nevertheless I do think a meter is useful if one accepts that it is not totally accurate .

I therefore use the meter as a guide and if I keeping reasonably steady at acceptable BS 5's with the odd 6 or 4 and if I spike with a new food ( I will test on another day with same food if I think I would not expect a spike). Obviously my take on meter accuracy not a view which a person who takes insulin may take.