Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
Hi ,
Im T1 for nearly 2 years and well controlled,hba1c about 6,
I find that I can smell anything sweet from nearly 100 yards away and the sweet smell causes me to crave for food, until the food hunger becomes all consuming,
I cant go to the regular cinema any longer as the smell of sweet toffee from popcron is so bad that within 10 mins i have to leave, ( or eat the person next to me and their popcorn :roll: )
If one of my family walk in the room with an icecream, all i can smell in the room is Icing sugar,
My qustion is , am i alone, or is this a comon problem,
If so how do you overcome it, so far it seems to be getting worse,
Now i can feel ravenous one hour after eatng, although i can still feel full up at the same time,
Thanks,
Paul

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Paul J said:
Hi ,
Im T1 for nearly 2 years and well controlled,hba1c about 6,
I find that I can smell anything sweet from nearly 100 yards away and the sweet smell causes me to crave for food, until the food hunger becomes all consuming,
I cant go to the regular cinema any longer as the smell of sweet toffee from popcron is so bad that within 10 mins i have to leave, ( or eat the person next to me and their popcorn :roll: )
If one of my family walk in the room with an icecream, all i can smell in the room is Icing sugar,
My qustion is , am i alone, or is this a comon problem,
If so how do you overcome it, so far it seems to be getting worse,
Now i can feel ravenous one hour after eatng, although i can still feel full up at the same time,
Thanks,
Paul

Paul ... I made a note to self when I read your post - NB Do not go to cinema when Paul is there. :lol:

But seriously, I'm T2 but I think I know what you mean about the sense of smell and the hunger yet the full upness - all going on at the same time. I've always experienced two types of hunger - the one that comes from an empty tummy which I actually feel in my tummy and the other one is what I call 'mouth/brain' hunger and that's the one I can experience even when my tum is full to bursting, but my tongue feels weird and my brain is feeling gozzy and telling me I need food and the sense of smell also comes into that. It's like a false hypo and the brain is signalling to eat sugar, yet the tummy is saying it doesn't need it. At times like that I go for the peanut butter and it usually satisfies the craving. I wish they'd sell peanut butter in little sachets for when I'm out and about. :D