Sugar Spike

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They tested me for type 1 in the first place. My hba1c was 8.2. I have had my blood sugar numbers in the 5,6 and sevens. but recently seems to be harder to keep down even with the keto diet. I have the mysugr app to help me too. I have had half a glass no maybe less than that of red wine a few times with dinner. Maybe that's the reason...

I'm trying so hard to keep my readings in "the green" on my app. The app estimates my hba1c to be 6.2 at the moment. Maybe I'm being to anal about all this. I will continue eating keto recipes because frankly they are delicious and I don't get hungry between meals. I love to cook and follow recipes. I made the keto salmon pie which was lovely. I feel a lot better. I don't get the thirst but I was needing to urinate more (not now though). I was getting thrush a lot too.

You sound like me apart from the symptoms. I am struggling at the moment and been in the red (7s and 8s) on mySugr. It is really annoying. I’m sticking at under 20g carbs a day and showing traces of ketones, but still readings are high. I drink but have done in the past with much lower readings over a long period of time and always been fine before :(

Last edited:

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
You sound like me apart from the symptoms. I am struggling at the moment and been in the red (7s and 8s) on mySugr. It is really annoying. I’m sticking at under 20g carbs a day and showing traces of ketones, but still readings are high. I drink but have done in the past with much lower readings over a long period of time and always been fine before :(
I’m not sure what to say because I’m a newby in all this. Maybe try giving up alcohol for a while to see if it makes any difference. I love the keto coconut porridge but have to be careful because it does push up my sugar levels. I can’t have any fruit on it at all. 7s and 8s are not so bad. I usually go into 7s and 8s after meals. Stick at it I’m sure you will be rewarded

Reactions: Flora123

Edwinsmum

Hello

I am newly diagnosed and I am following the keto diet because nothing else was working. I take 500mg of metformin twice a day.

My blood sugar first thing this morning was 6.3. I had my breakfast and 2 hours after first bite it was 12.1 !!!

Heres what I ate

half a bowl of canned chopped tomatoes, half a bowl of greek full fat natural yoghurt with a pinch of cinnamon, a teaspoon of sweetner and a dessert spoon of flaxeed. One cup of black peppermint tea.

Why has my blood sugar gone up so dramatically??

Ive had yoghurt before and all was ok....

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not sure what to say because I’m a newby in all this. Maybe try giving up alcohol for a while to see if it makes any difference. I love the keto coconut porridge but have to be careful because it does push up my sugar levels. I can’t have any fruit on it at all. 7s and 8s are not so bad. I usually go into 7s and 8s after meals. Stick at it I’m sure you will be rewarded

I can’t eat any fruit. It is so frustrating that my diet/activity is exactly the same as it was 2-3 months ago but my reading as so much higher. I sometimes feel like just eating some chocolate but since diagnosis in late June I haven’t deviated very low carb. Hope it all works out for you too.

Edwinsmum

Hi
I am newly diagnosed T2 also, and all food has suddenly turned into a minefield of "can I eat that?" "What will happen if I do? And about a 1000 other questions related... I know you dig!

Anyway in relation to your question, I would suggest it's the tomatoes that have you spiking, tomatoes being a fruit and fruit being known for being high in sugar Albeit natural sugar but sugar all the same. My doctor recommended that I steer clear of fruit almost entirely except berries (strawberries, blueberries that type of thing) which I hate anyway lol.

Try something more protein based or I have a small bowl of porrigde with a small amount of Stevia or some wholemeal toast with peanut butter, I haven't had any problems so far and I am in no way an expert so what works for me might not be good for you so I am in no way offering a medical opinion but hope you find a tasty/healthy way to still enjoy brekki

X All the best

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Hi
I am newly diagnosed T2 also, and all food has suddenly turned into a minefield of "can I eat that?" "What will happen if I do? And about a 1000 other questions related... I know you dig!

Anyway in relation to your question, I would suggest it's the tomatoes that have you spiking, tomatoes being a fruit and fruit being known for being high in sugar Albeit natural sugar but sugar all the same. My doctor recommended that I steer clear of fruit almost entirely except berries (strawberries, blueberries that type of thing) which I hate anyway lol.

Try something more protein based or I have a small bowl of porrigde with a small amount of Stevia or some wholemeal toast with peanut butter, I haven't had any problems so far and I am in no way an expert so what works for me might not be good for you so I am in no way offering a medical opinion but hope you find a tasty/healthy way to still enjoy brekki

X All the best
Hi, I can't eat normal porridge and I cant eat any bread even wholemeal. I have to be very strict for this to work. Glad you can tolerate more food. It's trial and error, testing after you eat and you know what you can eat. I cant even eat berries. Best of luck I'm sure you can beat this!!