kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @@Jillyfl,
Perhaps see if there is a yoghurt on the shelves with lower total carb content? The full fat varieties are better than the low fat ones I find. Also you could try reducing the quantity of yoghurt you eat to see if your BSL does not rise as high?

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Hi @@Jillyfl,
Perhaps see if there is a yoghurt on the shelves with lower total carb content? The full fat varieties are better than the low fat ones I find. Also you could try reducing the quantity of yoghurt you eat to see if your BSL does not rise as high?
Thank you. I particularly love alpro plain with coconut. My sugars were 4.9 this morning so I allowed myself a little bit of yogurt after my bacon egg and sausage ( only a little though)

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I have rebel kitchen coconut yogurt from ocado (posh, I know) and its only 0.6 g carbs per 100g - which I have as a serving.

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
I have rebel kitchen coconut yogurt from ocado (posh, I know) and its only 0.6 g carbs per 100g - which I have as a serving.
Oh that’s wonderful because I sooo love coconut yoghurt and I can’t eat Alpro (too many carbs for me). Thank you I’m gonna get some !!

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
For a treat try Coyo, but only if you have 4g carbs to spare. It is beyond delicious!!

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Oh noooo I’ve had a breakfast of coconut porridge from diet doctor and just taken a reading 2 hours after first bite and my reading is 11.5 !! . I did have double quantities because one serving isn’t filling and I’m so skinny ! This will be the reason won’t it??

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
@Jillyfl the added sugars will be included in the total carb count, so look at that, but always do your calculations as to how much is contained in the packet and how much of it you are going to eat. I'm another that reacts much worse to canned tomatoes than I do to fresh ones. It is something to do with the fact they are squashed about.
I have noticed you were diagnosed in Jan 2014 with a hba1c of 53 . Is that right or is it 5.3? Mine was 8.2 on diagnosis

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed you were diagnosed in Jan 2014 with a hba1c of 53 . Is that right or is it 5.3? Mine was 8.2 on diagnosis

It was 53 in current units. (This converts to 7% in old units). Your 8.2% is in old units. There is a converter available on this website but I can't link to it as I am away from home using an ancient tablet. Someone may come along and point you in the right direction.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh noooo I’ve had a breakfast of coconut porridge from diet doctor and just taken a reading 2 hours after first bite and my reading is 11.5 !! . I did have double quantities because one serving isn’t filling and I’m so skinny ! This will be the reason won’t it??

What was your reading before?

It’s supposed to be 8g carbs for a double serve. I’d be double checking my ingredients

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
What was your reading before?

It’s supposed to be 8g carbs for a double serve. I’d be double checking my ingredients
My reading before breakfast was 6.8

I’ve had a bad day today too but I’ve stuck rigidly to all keto recipes. It’s as if my body is becoming immune to my new keto diet and the sugars are raising their ugly heads again. I had the keto shepherds pie for tea with the cauliflower mash topping from diet doctor . It made 4 servings and I only had a quarter with about 6 sprouts alongside. My reading 2 hours later was 9.0. I really don’t know what to do!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My reading before breakfast was 6.8

I’ve had a bad day today too but I’ve stuck rigidly to all keto recipes. It’s as if my body is becoming immune to my new keto diet and the sugars are raising their ugly heads again. I had the keto shepherds pie for tea with the cauliflower mash topping from diet doctor . It made 4 servings and I only had a quarter with about 6 sprouts alongside. My reading 2 hours later was 9.0. I really don’t know what to do!
I'm afraid that the low carb foods will take a little while to take effect - you seem to expect an instantaneous correction.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the op eats low carb meals then she should get a smaller rise than a high carb meal even on day one. Obviously that response will improve as she regains some health and regains some insulin sensitivity. A continued bigger rise could mean there is something in that meal with carbs that is particularly unsuitable for that person.

It will help make sense of meal readings if we know the before and 2hr after figures. Just one doesn’t help hugely.

Just wondering here. The above assumes type 2. You say you are thin. Have you lost weight fairly recently and quickly? Do you have any of the typical diabetic symptoms? Peeing a lot, thirsty, recurrent infections such as thrush? When diagnosed did they consider type 1 or LADA? If you truly don’t respond to low carb then this should be considered.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondering here. The above assumes type 2. You say you are thin. Have you lost weight fairly recently and quickly? Do you have any of the typical diabetic symptoms? Peeing a lot, thirsty, recurrent infections such as thrush? When diagnosed did they consider type 1 or LADA? If you truly don’t respond to low carb then this should be considered.

Are these symptoms not the symptoms in T2 and T1 though?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly but It often seems that T1 have more at lower levels than T2. Just my opinion there. And as a thin newly diagnosed person it pays to be sure as assumptions sadly do get made without checking

Reactions: Flora123

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
They tested me for type 1 in the first place. My hba1c was 8.2. I have had my blood sugar numbers in the 5,6 and sevens. but recently seems to be harder to keep down even with the keto diet. I have the mysugr app to help me too. I have had half a glass no maybe less than that of red wine a few times with dinner. Maybe that's the reason...

I'm trying so hard to keep my readings in "the green" on my app. The app estimates my hba1c to be 6.2 at the moment. Maybe I'm being to anal about all this. I will continue eating keto recipes because frankly they are delicious and I don't get hungry between meals. I love to cook and follow recipes. I made the keto salmon pie which was lovely. I feel a lot better. I don't get the thirst but I was needing to urinate more (not now though). I was getting thrush a lot too.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok that’s good. as I said just a thought.

Things get better with time and as you’re happy with the food I’d try and take a deep breath and relax a little. Already the app is showing an improvement and it can only go by what you give it. Let your body adjust and heal a bit. Red wine will normally slow a glucose response not spike it.

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
ok that’s good. as I said just a thought.

Things get better with time and as you’re happy with the food I’d try and take a deep breath and relax a little. Already the app is showing an improvement and it can only go by what you give it. Let your body adjust and heal a bit. Red wine will normally slow a glucose response not spike it.
Ahh thank you so much, I really want to do the right thing and beat this. I have heart failure so I have to look after that. Thank you for your help!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
. I have had half a glass no maybe less than that of red wine a few times with dinner. Maybe that's the reason...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with red wine. Carbs are insignificant. Have a full glass with dinner. If anything, it lowers blood sugars. It won't raise them. Enjoy, and Cheers!

(It is also supposed to be good for the heart - look it up on Google.)

Reactions: Flora123