Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Hello

I am newly diagnosed and I am following the keto diet because nothing else was working. I take 500mg of metformin twice a day.

My blood sugar first thing this morning was 6.3. I had my breakfast and 2 hours after first bite it was 12.1 !!!

Heres what I ate

half a bowl of canned chopped tomatoes, half a bowl of greek full fat natural yoghurt with a pinch of cinnamon, a teaspoon of sweetner and a dessert spoon of flaxeed. One cup of black peppermint tea.

Why has my blood sugar gone up so dramatically??

Ive had yoghurt before and all was ok....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m guessing the tomatoes may be the culprit as @Antje77 I think is wondering too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It says 3g of carbs per 100g and I had about 100g

Did you measure how much you had? 100g isn't much.

Did you wash your hands and dry them thoroughly before you tested? Did you do a second test to see if the first was a rogue reading? (we all get these from time to time)

Reactions: kitedoc

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a massive spike after a 'low carb' cooked breakfast the other week. The tinned tomatoes were the culprit. I grill a fresh tomato now instead.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It says 3g of carbs per 100g and I had about 100g
In that case I'd go with @Bluetit1802 and @SueJB . Dirty finger, liver dump, unexplainable rogue reading, unexplainable mysterious rise in bg (diabetes sometimes does that), a cold coming on, a bad dream or the color of your socks.

I'd see if it happens again before making conclusions.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The canned tomatoes might have added sugar?
As well as the yoghurt @Jillyfl some can have upwards of 25grams of sugar add that to the canned tomatoes with about 15grams per can and on top of all that added sugar you have artificial sweeter thrown in the mix which the body can mistake for sugar. :banghead:

There is always the possibility that it was a rogue reading meters do that from time to time.

2 things to try look at the back of the tomatoes and yoghurt and see how much added sugar there is (always remember to do the math for the whole can, it's to easy to read 2.5 grams and think its ok and then relise it's a 500g jar so it realy 12.5grams) if it's bad see if you can get ones with less sugar next time.

Also I use honey instead of artificial sweetener in yoghurt's a swirl is about half a Tspoon. ;)
:bag:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
2 things to try look at the back of the tomatoes and yoghurt and see how much added sugar there is

@Jillyfl the added sugars will be included in the total carb count, so look at that, but always do your calculations as to how much is contained in the packet and how much of it you are going to eat. I'm another that reacts much worse to canned tomatoes than I do to fresh ones. It is something to do with the fact they are squashed about.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Canned chopped tomatoes in yogurt? :hungover:

Get some strawberries! blackberries! you won't need the sweetener

Those numbers sound like my numbers every time I eat, this should not be a consellation as I am not a person whose numbers should be aspired to hehe

Craig1980

Hello

I am newly diagnosed and I am following the keto diet because nothing else was working. I take 500mg of metformin twice a day.

My blood sugar first thing this morning was 6.3. I had my breakfast and 2 hours after first bite it was 12.1 !!!

Heres what I ate

half a bowl of canned chopped tomatoes, half a bowl of greek full fat natural yoghurt with a pinch of cinnamon, a teaspoon of sweetner and a dessert spoon of flaxeed. One cup of black peppermint tea.

Those numbers sound like my numbers every time I eat, this should not be a consellation as I am not a person whose numbers should be aspired to hehe

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Also it might be wirtw speaking to you GP as you may need to up your metformin to 1000mg

On the strength of one test? Better to test a coupla more times, don't you think?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Also it might be wirtw speaking to you GP as you may need to up your metformin to 1000mg

Metformin only helps to a limited extent, and does not help with any post meal spikes. It works on the liver, not the pancreas, so is more useful for people that have a big rise in the morning before eating (dawn phenomenon). It will not stop or reduce post meal rises.

Reactions: Kikeena_

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hello

Heres what I ate

Nah Greek yoghert with several heaped spoonfuls of ground nuts.
Did them myself. Peanuts, almonds, chestnuts all crunched up. I had to make more as the rest of the family nicked it.

I have noticed some of the Greek yougherts are a bit tasty carb wise.

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming

I had the tomatoes first and then the yoghurt separately ha ha. I can’t eat strawberries or blackberries or any fruit whatsoever unfortunately they send me over the edge

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Hmmmm it seems it was the yoghurt. I has only yoghurt with flaxseed and a teaspoon of sweetener this morning..... 11.5. My body has decided I can’t eat yoghurt now