Sugar Tax

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
By the way, St Jamie Oliver has now started on about breastfeeding. Methinks he should give it a rest now:meh:
most of us gave up breastfeeding by the age of one. As for the sugar tax I think anyway the government makes the food industry pay for the damage they are doing the better. Hopefully they will put it into education (as long as it isnt the eatwell plate)

Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="Love to see someone do this when they are having a hypo!![/QUOTE]

Haha! Exactly, at 3am when my (self funded) continuous glucose monitor is alarming to tell me my blood sugar is low I'm not farting around with powder or dissolving anything - I'm reaching for the quickest, easiest tried and tested method that I know works for me and going back to sleep!

No, the "sugar tax" is unlikely to impose a financial burden on type 1s using lucozade/glucojuice as hypo treatments. But it does seem on principle wrong to punish my aim for lower numbers (with the aim of avoiding costly diabetic complications and remaining a productive, tax paying member of society) which does result in more hypos by making my hypo treatment of choice more expensive.

I understand the public health aims of the measure. I do think it is too crude a tool and initiatives like run a mile a day and more education would be better. But I'm not opposed to the measure in general. I would just like to see an exemption for hypo treatments for insulin dependant diabetics.

I don't want the general public health aims to actually damage my health by making my hypo treatments more difficult to get hold of / less reliable and therefore meaning that either my hypos aren't properly treated or that I run higher to avoid hypos but increase the risk serious long term complications.

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, sorry if I'm missing the obvious here but I'm still failing to see the fuss about Lucozade? Quite happy to be corrected though. I'm not suggesting that T1's shouldn't have Lucozade as their means to deal with a hypo, of course not. But unless a full bottle is needed daily (or more) which isn't the case, then why the big deal? I'm focusing on Lucozade as the thread seems to have taken that turn?
Regarding the tax itself, and how it will affect the general population, well, I dunno. But I do know that the present government (and I'm not saying others would do differently) will push through legislation without caring what people think, or how they will be affected. So I guess only time will tell on this one.

By the way, St Jamie Oliver has now started on about breastfeeding. Methinks he should give it a rest now:meh:

This thread is sponsored by...

image.jpeg

And.

image.jpeg

o_O

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a reason why T1s can't add powdered glucose to a small bottle of water, replace the lid, shake, and leave it on their bedside table or in their bag until needed?

If the flavour is an issue there are plenty of concentrated squashes to use.

Much cheaper than a fancy brand name like lucozade - and with the added bonus that the glucose content can be personally tailored.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a reason why T1s can't add powdered glucose to a small bottle of water, replace the lid, shake, and leave it on their bedside table or in their bag until needed?

Much cheaper than a fancy brand name like lucozade - and with the added bonus that the glucose content can be personally tailored.

For me personally, the issue isn't flavour. I use glucojuice and I think they are gross and expensive. But I am confident they work & work quickly. Frankly, I'm not willing or interested in experimenting with alternatives because I've had severe hypos in the past and I would be too frightened to use something untested.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
For me personally, the issue isn't flavour. I use glucojuice and I think they are gross and expensive. But I am confident they work & work quickly. Frankly, I'm not willing or interested in experimenting with alternatives because I've had severe hypos in the past and I would be too frightened to use something untested.

Yes, you can't play around with your health in what could be an emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I use what is good for me and works, 1st, something quick acting , I use dolly mixtures, then 1 or 2 a biscuits, gluten free and the price of those is expensive and in handy size packets. The thought of powdered glucose hanging about in water for days and days, does not appeal to me.:yuck: Then having to throw it away and remember to make another one and another. tbh, I tend to steer away from squashes because I'm not keen on them, never had.
I honestly don't know what all the fuss is being made about Lucozade anyway :rolleyes: Just use what works for the individual, it may cost a little more, but health and staying alive comes first :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ok, sorry if I'm missing the obvious here but I'm still failing to see the fuss about Lucozade? Quite happy to be corrected though. I'm not suggesting that T1's shouldn't have Lucozade as their means to deal with a hypo, of course not. But unless a full bottle is needed daily (or more) which isn't the case, then why the big deal? I'm focusing on Lucozade as the thread seems to have taken that turn?
Regarding the tax itself, and how it will affect the general population, well, I dunno. But I do know that the present government (and I'm not saying others would do differently) will push through legislation without caring what people think, or how they will be affected. So I guess only time will tell on this one.

I heard on the news this morning, that Jamie Oliver is about to become a father again for the fifth time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Sorry to pick up on your post. But I think you highlighted something more "psychological" regarding hypos for insulin users..?
For me, (40 years a T1.) my "comfort" is milk & buscuit or the good old Mars bar..
Now it's stated the aforementioned is slower working. (Which I don't disagree.) but, I have never passed out.. Ever. Always treated myself from an 8 year old.
Regarding Lucozade & phat Coke? I have also used this stuff "on the fly". I have also used the carb in a pork pie on something like a 4.2..
My point? "Defence mechanism." I've learned to adapt...

I apreciate during a hypoglycaemic episode the last thing is to deviate from what works for you.
I have experimented. & anything with carb in works for me.!

Dried fruit. Especially the banana variety my wife puts in he "nibble box" for work is fantastic.. Much to her dismay. Lol

Back to Lucozade.. The big retail outlets will source & bulk buy the best deal on the stuff passin the "buy one get 1 free" offer onto the consumer putting these wares in the "temptation isle".. You won't notice any change in price.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, i don't know what the fuss is about Lucozade either - or this entire 'sugar tax' nonsense.

Having read this entire thread with bemusement and growing amusement i have come to one single conclusion - some people looking for a reason to feel hard done by. Which is absurd.

Whether i agree with the 'tax' or not (and i don't) it is being brought in so that excessive sugar consumption is curbed in the general population. If it fails, shucks, sugar consumption stays silly-high. If it succeeds, then the health of an entire generation will improve.

In light of this, quibbling about a few pennies on a few millilitres of a drink, seems both petulant and petty.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbonated water.

I have plenty of high glucose energy gels that I use when running, I'd not use them for a hypo though. They are not pleasant and are far too sticky to get into yourself. Also a lot easier to drink a third of a bottle of lucozade which you can get from any corner shop, than try and find the baking department of a big supermarket in a hurry.

But you shouldn't be hunting around for a supermarket and the baking department, because you may not know what you are doing whilst in a hypo situation, far too risky to go shopping !! We should carry something with us at all times, buy 2 or 3, take one out and spares at home.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But you shouldn't be hunting around for a supermarket and the baking department, because you may not know what you are doing whilst in a hypo situation, far too risky to go shopping !! We should carry something with us at all times, buy 2 or 3, take one out and spares at home.

Hey, I thought we were all taught that stuff... I don't claim to be the most perfect D on the "block" but when I walk around it, I make sure there is something in my pocket... ;)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, i don't know what the fuss is about Lucozade either - or this entire 'sugar tax' nonsense.

Having read this entire thread with bemusement and growing amusement i have come to one single conclusion - some people looking for a reason to feel hard done by. Which is absurd.

Whether i agree with the 'tax' or not (and i don't) it is being brought in so that excessive sugar consumption is curbed in the general population. If it fails, shucks, sugar consumption stays silly-high. If it succeeds, then the health of an entire generation will improve.

In light of this, quibbling about a few pennies on a few millilitres of a drink, seems both petulant and petty.
Hi B. You and I are both T2D, so are totally unqualified to be posting in this thread, which seems to be for insulin dependants only. The fact that i had a hypo this evening and dealt with it simply without any fizzy drink is just by fluke. I mean i am T2D and know nuffin. My best mate who is T1D on a pump has several hypos a week, but has no fizzy drinks in his house. He does not use lucozade. My tame mechanic (also T1D) does not use fizzy drinks either. All three of us use glucotabs under the tongue if we need to but generally an oatibar or two sorts things out fine.

My mother was T1D for over 40 years, and never had Lucozade in the house for diabetes control but used glucotabs too. We used Lucozade only for treating the flu. But then we are all doing it wrong......

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, I thought we were all taught that stuff... I don't claim to be the most perfect D on the "block" but when I walk around it, I make sure there is something in my pocket... ;)
But whats it got in its pocketses? Heh my precious?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best post of the thread IMHO even if it is off topic - this scares the bejabus out of me as when me and my hubby are gone my son will have no support except the government - but this is what always happens with "news" they knew the whole country would be talking about this so burying the story of the cuts which are the real issue - "exits left and grabs tin hat" :stinkyfeet:
How predictive you were. news just out now shows that Ian Duncan Smith has resigned as Work and Pensions secretary as a result of disagreeing with the constraints of the budget cuts, but not directly from sugar tax.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry to pick up on your post. But I think you highlighted something more "psychological" regarding hypos for insulin users..?

Don't apologise, my point was exactly that, it is psychological. I'm not saying other alternatives don't work at all. I fully accept that it is the fear that makes me stick to my preferred hypo treatment. But I am scared of losing control of my body like I did when I had an episode of hypoglycaemic hemiplegia and it's not an experience I wish to repeat. Hypos can have a psychological impact and to dismiss that may miss a fairly signicant aspect of what being insulin dependant can be like, for some.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
How predictive you were. news just out now shows that Ian Duncan Smith has resigned as Work and Pensions secretary as a result of disagreeing with the constraints of the budget cuts, but not directly from sugar tax.

IDS is a loathsome, despicable man. I can only hope that what goes around, comes around. His attacks on the sick and disabled, and those that care (unpaid) for them, were vile.

If this is out of place, please feel free to delete. It makes me feel better:mad:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But whats it got in its pocketses? Heh my precious?

Packetses & packetses of ring shaped Haribos things, & sweet goodies that would make the Child catcher from Chitty bang bang sings. Sometimes there's a dumpling stew carbs for me. & not for you...

image.jpeg

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I accept your point & I accept that given the financial impact it is petty. But I'm not a saint! If I see a tax being imposed that looks like it will have an adverse impact on me should I welcome it with open arms?

I get the public health aims of the measure. But I would resent it (surely an understandable human reaction) if the impact of the measure designed to improve public health on the health of insulin dependant diabetics was not thought through. Again, it would be pennies, so perhaps there would be no impact in reality. But it would still feel like a punishment for going hypo, which would be a shame because I have quite enough diabetes guilt as it is! So I hope that JDRF can work with the government to establish some sort of exemption for hypo treatments in a way that doesn't undermine the (somewhat tenuous) public health aims.