Sugar Tax

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that is what everyone believes it will be.

Then the Governments job is done.

If Joe Public can be made to believe something, then that is the battle won. Governments have been doing this for ages.

What will eventually happen in 2018, nobody knows, but if they can make people think that the drinks they currently consume are going to cost more, they can make a large percentage will stop drinking them now.

I wouldn't even mind betting that this Levy/Tax doesn't happen at all by the time we get to 2018.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slightly off topic but..
What I find unbelievable (not to mention very saddening) is that while there has been the massive hullabaloo and amount of publicity generated over the fact there is a possibility of an increase of less than 30p on soft drinks - people with disabilities face losing £30 per week from their benefits, with serious impacts on life as a result. No massive outcry from the general public over that one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35830270
Best post of the thread IMHO even if it is off topic - this scares the bejabus out of me as when me and my hubby are gone my son will have no support except the government - but this is what always happens with "news" they knew the whole country would be talking about this so burying the story of the cuts which are the real issue - "exits left and grabs tin hat" :stinkyfeet:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@nosher8355 It IS both cost and convenience as reasons why Type 1s use Lucozade and similar drinks. Lucozade works really, really quickly and is readily available.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@nosher8355 It IS both cost and convenience as reasons why Type 1s use Lucozade and similar drinks. Lucozade works really, really quickly and is readily available.

Yeah, I do get it!
But why not use glucose instead? It can be cheaper and just as available!
Then you know what is in the drink than the brand name!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah, I do get it!
because the other components in lucozade hydrate faster and get the glucose into the blood stream quicker than a glucose tab.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yeah, I do get it!

It's the person choice as to whether they use Lucozade, Glucose. Jelly babies or even Dolly mixtures.
I personally can't stand Lucozade, but it is fast acting.
This is liquid glucose, the thought of it makes me feel sick, so I would probably spit it out, unless under strict orders, by a medical professional, but the person may refuse it ( severe hypo)
CLEN1987.jpg

Edited to say, this can be bought in supermarkets, Tesco, Asda etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
because the other components in lucozade hydrate faster and get the glucose into the blood stream quicker than a glucose tab.
Ingredients in Lucozade. Carbonated Water, Glucose Syrup (26%), Citric Acid, Lactic Acid, Flavourings (including Caffeine), Preservatives (Sodium Benzonate, Sodium Bisulphate), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Colour (Sunset Yellow).

Which of these makes the digestion process work faster I wonder. Citric acid is manufactured by the body as an inherent part of the Krebs cycle but ingested citric acid does not appear to metabolise properly so is not noted for speeding up metabolism.

Edit; caffeine has the opposite effect to hydration, being a diuretic of note.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
makes me wonder what they will find to tax next :angelic:

A levy on Insulin?? We'll all take more care regarding basal adjustments. It will also be an "incentive" not to over bolus for those "taxed" nostalgic treats too..! :D

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A levy on Insulin?? We'll all take more care regarding basal adjustments. It will also be an "incentive" not to over bolus for those "taxed" nostalgic treats too..! :D
If insulin remains on scrip then a levvy such as you suggest would only hurt the NHS budget.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If insulin remains on scrip then a levvy such as you suggest would only hurt the NHS budget.

Would not the "sugar tax" initiative offset the NHS budget regarding the associated health issues with the "white stuff." ?? ;)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nor are milkshakes - what's that all about? Surely flavoured milk has sugar added, though i've not checked a bottle of Fridj lately
may be they decided that it is better that some children have milk in any form rather than coke and other soft drinks.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Best post of the thread IMHO even if it is off topic - this scares the bejabus out of me as when me and my hubby are gone my son will have no support except the government - but this is what always happens with "news" they knew the whole country would be talking about this so burying the story of the cuts which are the real issue - "exits left and grabs tin hat" :stinkyfeet:

This government's legacy and full headlines over all the press and media, should be about how the poor and misfortunate are paying for the rich tax cuts.
They have systematically disassembled the benefit system.
They have systematically brought the NHS into chaos.
And the propaganda continues about the European vote and sugar tax to take away the absolute crime of what the government is doing to its own people.

This government should be ashamed of itself!

Reactions: 5 people

spideog

Ingredients in Lucozade. Carbonated Water, Glucose Syrup (26%), Citric Acid, Lactic Acid, Flavourings (including Caffeine), Preservatives (Sodium Benzonate, Sodium Bisulphate), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Colour (Sunset Yellow).

Which of these makes the digestion process work faster I wonder. Citric acid is manufactured by the body as an inherent part of the Krebs cycle but ingested citric acid does not appear to metabolise properly so is not noted for speeding up metabolism.

Edit; caffeine has the opposite effect to hydration, being a diuretic of note.
Carbonated water.

I have plenty of high glucose energy gels that I use when running, I'd not use them for a hypo though. They are not pleasant and are far too sticky to get into yourself. Also a lot easier to drink a third of a bottle of lucozade which you can get from any corner shop, than try and find the baking department of a big supermarket in a hurry.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbonated water.

I have plenty of high glucose energy gels that I use when running, I'd not use them for a hypo though. They are not pleasant and are far too sticky to get into yourself. Also a lot easier to drink a third of a bottle of lucozade which you can get from any corner shop, than try and find the baking department of a big supermarket in a hurry.
So a diet soda can with a couple of glucotabs in it would probably work as well. Bit more kerfuffle, but may avoid the levvy.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So a diet soda can with a couple of glucotabs in it would probably work as well. Bit more kerfuffle, but may avoid the levvy.
lol good luck putting glucose tab in diet soda. Mentos Bomb anyone

not really practicable

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

.... Or use the car instead of run? Burn fuel as opposed to sugar... :D

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Ok, sorry if I'm missing the obvious here but I'm still failing to see the fuss about Lucozade? Quite happy to be corrected though. I'm not suggesting that T1's shouldn't have Lucozade as their means to deal with a hypo, of course not. But unless a full bottle is needed daily (or more) which isn't the case, then why the big deal? I'm focusing on Lucozade as the thread seems to have taken that turn?
Regarding the tax itself, and how it will affect the general population, well, I dunno. But I do know that the present government (and I'm not saying others would do differently) will push through legislation without caring what people think, or how they will be affected. So I guess only time will tell on this one.

By the way, St Jamie Oliver has now started on about breastfeeding. Methinks he should give it a rest now:meh: