Sugars To High For An Op

saffy

Hi , not been on for a while. Am type2 for 20yrs or so...I’ve also got two brain aneurysms. One was coiled 8 yrs ago my second one was supposed to be coiled a month ago. But to my dismay after my pre/op was told the day before my op that my sugars were too high. They accept up to 69 mine was 74 . Anyway for the last month I’ve been sooo good and had a blood test last week down to 64 yippee so tomorrow I go for another blood test then if ok on Wednesday I see my GP and she will ring to get me back on list.fingers crossed. But I’ve been living on chicken cauliflower and sprouts and berries ..I did try sweet potato mash no go for me after 2hrs over 10..also a crisp bread from Lidl with cheese and I’ve found that the crisp breads and cheese bring my bloods right down , after eating them within an hour usually down to 5ish. My point is I never knew if your sugars were not good they won’t operate. But it’s a hard lesson for me to learn from as it’s a dangerous op and you get yourself worked up before it and then no go .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with your operation and well done with getting your sugars down!
I’ve been living on chicken cauliflower and sprouts and berries
Wouldn't it be easier if you added some cheeses, fatter meats, nuts and avocado and such? It seems like you're having a low fat diet on top af a low carb diet. It's very difficult to get enough calories to not starve yourself on a diet like this.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Saffy.
I hope you continue with the lower BG's and you can have your op soon, must be very hard because the worry will put up your BG's while you are trying to get them down.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Reactions: Serena51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All the best for your op. Well done getting your HbA1c down, work at getting it as low as possible, the lower it is the lower the risk of post op infection.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
It's very difficult to get enough calories to not starve yourself on a diet like this.

Assuming we know how many calories we need. My Resting Metabolic Rate is 2300, more if I move about. I dream of being able to consume that much without gaining weight. So, for me personally, low fat and low carb is the way to go. In fact increasing my fat intake, full cream, more meat, increases my weight and total cholesterol. We're all different though, so its difficult to give advice, just mention personal experiences.

saffy

Hi thanks for all your reply’s . I’ve lived with these time bombs for 10 yrs and so I’ve been trying different things and using my meter a lot so far what I’m eating is working lol I do eat nuts and bacon infact what’s surprised me is bacon mushrooms egg and Beans and my bloods are good .
But no potatoes bread rice as they put bloods up bad.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @saffy ,

Regarding BGs & procedures. Yep, I was treated for a macula oedema, which is basically a simple course steroid injections into the eye? (One every 4 weeks for 6 months + further is needed.)

My BG had to be between 4.8 & something like 14.2Mmol? (Which I thought was a generous window..!?)
I only failed a meter test once when It came in at 4.6Mmol.
Lol, the nurse told me to eat half the bag of jelly babies I carry & wait an hour.
I had no bolus insulin on board, so I told her I'd have one & see her in half the time...

Fair play for bringing yours down. All the best for the op!

Reactions: kitedoc

saffy

Well bloods done this morning and got message from GP saying (down to 63 and will be ok for surgery ) I go in morning to see her so hopefully should ring hospital and get me back on waiting list

Reactions: Antje77

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well bloods done this morning and got message from GP saying (down to 63 and will be ok for surgery ) I go in morning to see her so hopefully should ring hospital and get me back on waiting list
All the best Saffy. Hope it all goes smoothly soon. Take care of yourself and those pesky carbs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Saffy - If your waiting list is any more than a few days it is highly, highly likely they will retest you before your op, to ensure you're still under the threshold, so I would urge you very strongly to continue your excellent work, to ensure there is minimal risk of you having to go around the same loop again

saffy

Saffy - If your waiting list is any more than a few days it is highly, highly likely they will retest you before your op, to ensure you're still under the threshold, so I would urge you very strongly to continue your excellent work, to ensure there is minimal risk of you having to go around the same loop again
Hi don’t worry I am keeping it up ..been to drs and she rang hospital ...back on list .

Reactions: Jaylee

saffy

Had my second pre/op and all good ....my op scheduled 15th October a week on wed .Am doing well with my diet , I suppose it’s about time , I’ve been slap dash with my diet .