Suggestions for a bedtime drink

Razor9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I used to have a cup of Options Belgian hot chocolate at bedtime. Sadly it contains too much sugar so I've given it up but peppermint tea doesn't cut it. Any suggestions welcome, please.
Try nettle tea. It's really nice and good for you

Reactions: Johnboy70

Danski

I used to drink Almond milk a lot , but ever since I read it is highly inflammatory, I've switched to unsweetened soy milk. It has a bit more carb, but iis considered way less inflammatory. I'd suggest a cup of unsweetened Milo (if that's available in your area) or a cup of unsweetened chocolate with high fat, low carb milk.

Stephen Bond

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Bureaucracy. Poor quality. Boredom
I used to drink Almond milk a lot , but ever since I read it is highly inflammatory, I've switched to unsweetened soy milk. It has a bit more carb, but iis considered way less inflammatory. I'd suggest a cup of unsweetened Milo (if that's available in your area) or a cup of unsweetened chocolate with high fat, low carb milk.
Doesn't all chocolate or cocoa powder contain a little sugar?

Stephen Bond

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Bureaucracy. Poor quality. Boredom
I have been seeing a lot about using full fat milk as opposed to skimmed or semi skimmed. From what i have seen from a few google searches, skimmed milk has more or less the same sugar and carbs but much less fat than full fat milk. So why is it preferable?
Apparently there was a myth that skimmed and semi skimmed had added sugar but it was not true??
*Component per 100ml
Full cream milk
Reduced fat milk
Skim milk
Energy, kJ
266​
198​
147​
Protein, g
3.4​
3.7​
3.5​
Fat-total, g
3.4​
1.3​
0.1​
Fat-saturated, g
2.3​
0.85​
0.1​
Carbohydrate, g
4.8​
5.3​
4.9​
Sugars, g
4.8​
5.3​
4.9​
Calcium, mg
128​
120​
132​

Is there something else in there that is bad for us?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been seeing a lot about using full fat milk as opposed to skimmed or semi skimmed. From what i have seen from a few google searches, skimmed milk has more or less the same sugar and carbs but much less fat than full fat milk. So why is it preferable?
Apparently there was a myth that skimmed and semi skimmed had added sugar but it was not true??
*Component per 100ml
Full cream milk
Reduced fat milk
Skim milk
Energy, kJ
266​
198​
147​
Protein, g
3.4​
3.7​
3.5​
Fat-total, g
3.4​
1.3​
0.1​
Fat-saturated, g
2.3​
0.85​
0.1​
Carbohydrate, g
4.8​
5.3​
4.9​
Sugars, g
4.8​
5.3​
4.9​
Calcium, mg
128​
120​
132​

I don’t drink or use milk but using full fat rather than skimmed or semi skimmed, the fuller fat is more satiating I suppose

• Agree
Reactions: Pura Vida

homephix009

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I guess warm water is the best drink to go with. I myself have tried it a few months ago.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
*Component per 100ml
Full cream milk
Reduced fat milk
Skim milk
Energy, kJ
266​
198​
147​
Protein, g
3.4​
3.7​
3.5​
Fat-total, g
3.4​
1.3​
0.1​
Fat-saturated, g
2.3​
0.85​
0.1​
Carbohydrate, g
4.8​
5.3​
4.9​
Sugars, g
4.8​
5.3​
4.9​
Calcium, mg
128​
120​
132​

Fat contributes towards satiety which reduces hunger and therefore snacking desires.

D

Deleted member 475901

I have cocoa made with a mix of cream, water and a little full fat milk. Plus a tiny bit of truvia. Over time I cut down on the milk and added cream, starting with half a mug of milk. I did try using some coconut milk but didn't like the taste so much.
Sometimes I add a drop of real vanilla essence.

PlushPuppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WebMD suggests -
Hot Chocolate - Mix 1 cup of low-fat milk with 2 squares of 70% dark chocolate, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and a little cinnamon. Melt in a saucepan, and enjoy it for 23 grams of carbs. Dark chocolate is supposed to be allowed as long as it's 70% or higher.

Or this one sounds good too - Chai Latte - Steep one or two chai tea bags in a cup of unsweetened almond milk or soy milk, and spice it up with cinnamon and black pepper for an extra flavor kick. That’s a warm treat with less than 1 gram of carbs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink unsweetened coconut ‘milk’ at bedtime, hot or cold, sometimes flavoured with a sugar free syrup

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
WebMD suggests -
Hot Chocolate - Mix 1 cup of low-fat milk with 2 squares of 70% dark chocolate, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and a little cinnamon. Melt in a saucepan, and enjoy it for 23 grams of carbs
Has WebMD checked what 23 grams of rather quick acting carbs right before bed does to their blood glucose, provided they have diabetes?

• Agree
Reactions: Goonergal