Sun cream?!

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Hi! I have just had a look on a new website forum about diabetes and travel called voyage MD. Looks pretty good, but I think it needs a few more members to get going! Anyway, there was some info on it about sun cream and I was just wondering if diabetics need to be particularly careful in the sun as I have never been informed of this?! :?

hallii

Vitamin D is made by the body when exposed to sunlight, since Vitamin D is essential for normal health and may have some additional benefits for diabetics I suggest that moderate amounts of sunshine are good for most diabetics.

Note my use of the word "moderate", red skin = to much and can cause skin damage.

H

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some medications can make your skin senstitive to the sun - one of the side effects of Gliclizide is sun sensitivity - I suffered from this last summer - even a few minutes out in the sun without protection made my skin itch like mad and I burned very easily - it wasn't so bad this summer - but then there wasn't really any summer to speak of was there! :roll: