Supermarket shopping

mouseee

I am coping very well with a LC diet and am still finding foods I enjoy that fit with this WOE.

But... need to know I'm not the only person who is depressed when walking round a supermarket at how much is now uneatable unless I want to make myself ill!

What do you do about shopping and how do you do it?
Just get a feeling of being really sorry for myself when I walk up and down those aisles... I find myself having a bit of a wallow.

Just a bit of a moan really. Sorry!

Reactions: stevenkpalmer

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As you become accustomed to your new way of eating then the feeling of missing out really does dissipate. I ignore the aisles that have foods in them that are nutritionally poor and only really go to the personal care/soap powder aisles - I go first to the meat fridges and the get the veg on the way to the till.

It does get easier, honest.

Reactions: MangosteenElbow
D

Deleted member 308541

I got the Woolworth's supermarkets app and checked all of the QR Codes of the stuff we normally get from them into a online shopping list, on a quick trip around the aisle of the store.

Logged into the account and perused all of the nutrition info and dumped stuff that had high carbs in it. We have around 130 items in our shopping list that we buy most of the time, I have just put a online shopping order in this morning.

Reactions: ianpspurs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am coping very well with a LC diet and am still finding foods I enjoy that fit with this WOE.

But... need to know I'm not the only person who is depressed when walking round a supermarket at how much is now uneatable unless I want to make myself ill!

Just get a feeling of being really sorry for myself when I walk up and down those aisles... I find myself having a bit of a wallow.

I tend not to be depressed at what I can't have but more at so many other people seemingly happy to buy the rubbish that is presented like I used to before I got ill because of it.

Humans the only species smart enough to create its own food and stupid enough to eat it maybe?

Reactions: Pasha

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bacon
Eggs
A world of Cheeses
Salami
Spanish and Italian cures hams.
Nuts
Beef of all the different cuts.
Pork belly
Cream
Avocado
Olives

Mmmmm nope not depressed

... Of course, getting to know where these items are & avoiding the Isles without perusing what doesn't work, saves time on the shop for stuff you really wanna do..! ;)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It won’t be long before you see that stuff as poison and feel sorry for those that still buy it.

Reactions: Flora123

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At first I stuck to online ordering. More because it reduced temptation to buy things I was newly avoiding. Now I really don’t want most of it so it’s a lot easier. Makes shopping a lot quicker when you only go to the fresh aisles.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I make a list.... because I'll forget stuff if I don't. The real trick here is not to forget to add things to the list straight away or I'll forget that stuff too :)

So I start a list and just put it on the fridge and add to it those little things when I think of them or see I'm almost out of something, rather then try to remember what to put on the list right before going shopping.

I don't even bother going up the aisles that have nothing I need. It becomes a habit over time. You get in and out of there quicker too.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I make sure that I have a diet that I enjoy (Especially the Bacon & Eggs) - Make a list and stick with it.

No longer feel the temptation.

Reactions: Goonergal

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We do online ordering and get it all delivered.
Trekking round a giant supermarket with screaming babies, uncontrolled children and people IN MY WAY has always been my idea of an unpleasant time. Ever since I was working 70 hours a week for a few years and only had one day I could wedge the shopping in. Utter waste of my free/sleep time. That was when I lived in rural Wales, 16 miles from a decent supermarket,

Since my knees got sore, and 99% of trolley wheels got wonky, it now HURTS as well. And I live 2 miles from the store. :D

Can't be doing with it. :D:D:D

Once every couple of months we forget something, or can't manage without something, and one of us drives over to fetch it. That is when I raid the fresh meat counter for ox cheeks and ox tails, which don't appear on the online shopping list. Also, Mr B walks past two mini supermarkets during his work day, every day, so he gets stuff there (his milk, his apples) if we run out.

So yes @mouseee I dislike supermarket shopping. But then actually I dislike any shopping that isn't internet - food, clothes, books, tech, DIY, anything. I would rather make my selection online and then have it ordered, with the option to return. Nowadays I just ignore any packaging that is so brightly coloured you might expect it on a child's tv advert. Works like a charm.

M

Member496333

I personally don’t miss any of it. I feel enlightened and empowered by strolling past it all. It did take a while to adopt this mindset after a lifetime of bamboozlement, but otherwise no feeling of deprivation at all when it comes to shopping. In fact quite the opposite. My trolley contains food, while everyone else is afraid to buy an egg.

Reactions: MangosteenElbow

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I highly recommend online shopping!
My Husband & I are terrible for just throwing things in the trolley that 1. we don't need & 2. is no good for us!
So online shopping you don't have the temptation or all the rubbish food in your face.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Doesn’t take me long to shop (mostly Lidl) at all now - I bypass the bakery aisle on the way in, grab my veg and fish, miss the meat and cheese on my way to the eggs and cat food, buy wine and check out. Then I pop to Asda or Sainsbury’s and head straight for the veggie/vegan section and get a few packs of Quorn “ham” for packed lunches and some other meat substitutes for the week, depending what’s on offer.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That does get better after a while. More often than not we put our order in online and go to the pick up point at the shop. (Could have it delivered, but sometimes items are missing and just hopping into the shop is easier than having the driver go back and forth). If I do go in there, beyond the pick up ppoint by the door I mean, I'm usually with my husband, and really, if he picks something for himself, like mini-pizza's, I pick something for me. Bunch of shrimp, goats cheese, olives, some sausages or chicken wings... If he's got something to munch on in the evening for Netflixing or gaming, I have something too, but low to no carb.

The only place I still avoid like the plague is the market, because of those strong fruit smells. But the supermarket hasn't really been a problem for about half a year into diagnosis. Give yourself some time eh.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doesn’t take me long to shop (mostly Lidl) at all now - I bypass the bakery aisle on the way in, grab my veg and fish, miss the meat and cheese on my way to the eggs and cat food, buy wine and check out. Then I pop to Asda or Sainsbury’s and head straight for the veggie/vegan section and get a few packs of Quorn “ham” for packed lunches and some other meat substitutes for the week, depending what’s on offer.
The problem with shopping at Lidl is my husband !! The middle aisles :banghead: Why do we have to spend 10 minutes gazing at chain saws when we have one already :arghh:
Carol

Reactions: NorfolkNic