Supermarket shopping

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dear me, some of the comments on here are horrendous, people judging others and making unfounded assumptions about being poor which must therefore mean they are spending money on 'booze and fags'! I have no doubt there are people that do this but there are plenty living hand to mouth in circumstances SOME people on here have no idea about and do not care about. This holier than though attitude is reprehensible and simply feeds into unwarranted bias and stereotyping.

Its called freedom of expression, I think most people like some posts but not others, I think its perfectly normal and enjoy the diversity of views here. I dont much like being preached to, but as I said, its all part of the human experience..

Reactions: MangosteenElbow

davidjb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football; anything by Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Whitney Houston, any X-Factor/BGT winner, groups like Girls Aloud etc. (you get the picture); misuse of 'your', 'you're', 'their', 'there', etc.; the use of 'of' as an auxiliary verb; Facebook and Twitter (just what the hell is all this 'hashtag' stuff?); 'celebrities'; I could go on but I'm beginning to sound grumpier than I really am.
I don't get depressed, I just get angry! (This works for me because it makes me determined to leave such items on the shelf).

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its called freedom of expression, I think most people like some posts but not others, I think its perfectly normal and enjoy the diversity of views here. I dont much like being preached to, but as I said, its all part of the human experience..

Ah yes, that 'freedom of expression' phrase that always pops up to excuse downright unpleasant remarks.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@KK123 have you reported the offensive post?
I find the forum moderators are very good at dealing with posts which are in contravention of the forum rules (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/)

Hi Helen, I don't think any of these posts are offensive as such and certainly not enough to try and get them deleted, I don't mind diverse views or differences of opinions but I cannot let stereotyping and demonisation to pass without commenting.

MangosteenElbow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We simply walk around the processed food aisles saying "poison, poison, poison" get some odd looks sometimes but we're used to that..!
I'll try that too, instead of just muttering "evil carbs, evil carbs" down the aisles between my few keto friendly selections.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I personally don’t miss any of it. I feel enlightened and empowered by strolling past it all. It did take a while to adopt this mindset after a lifetime of bamboozlement, but otherwise no feeling of deprivation at all when it comes to shopping. In fact quite the opposite. My trolley contains food, while everyone else is afraid to buy an egg.
Agree completely. Mindset really is the ticket to this one. It is almost a feeling of being liberated, being able to wander past the 'end of aisle specials' and the BOGOF offers took some time and I hadn't really appreciated that that had become a habit.

Reactions: bulkbiker

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I shop online, but it is a faff clicking on every item, and clicking nutrition info to get to the carb count.
I've asked them more than once to make it searchable. Please ask any online shops you use, so they may realise there is a demand for this.
And in the UK we losing losing this information on food labels if we brexit, as it was one of the areas listed as an unreasonable burden on UK food businesses a few years ago. The Small Business Federation actually campaigned to get the labelling 'burden' removed from EU law, supported by the UK govt. So shout out if you want to keep it!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree completely. Mindset really is the ticket to this one. It is almost a feeling of being liberated, being able to wander past the 'end of aisle specials' and the BOGOF offers took some time and I hadn't really appreciated that that had become a habit.
I agree - and it's even easier online as there's whole pages full of stuff that I never need to see, ever. However I DO always look for special offers as there are plenty available on suitably low carb products, and sometimes I'll fill several virtual shopping trolleys with bargain offers etc and pre-order for a whole month without the worry of having to pay up front.

I shop online, but it is a faff clicking on every item, and clicking nutrition info to get to the carb count.
I'm curious - why do you need to do this every time?

Most of what I buy is either carb free or low enough carb that I no longer need to look - it's really only occasionally when I want something new or different that I need to check. And if I choose I can put my regular purchases into saved shopping lists to pick from or even add the lot for future orders. (Though I have to add that I'm a bit peeved - to put it politely to pacify the censors! - that Ocado hove recently put nutrional info and ingredients into drop down lists so I specifically have to click rather than simply scrolling if I want to see this information.:banghead::banghead:)

Robbity

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
What do you do about shopping and how do you do it?

I have a list and I don't eat processed foods except for the occasional can of ratatouille (LC anyway). There might be times when I'm tempted into eating something that is high in carbs but that usually leads to me feeling "hung over" and I haven't touched alcohol in 10 years.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All, a reminder to please stick to the original topic of the thread - the challenges of shopping in supermarkets when much of the food is ‘off limits’.

There is no place on the thread (or indeed any thread) for bickering, judgemental or accusatory posts.

Many thanks.

Reactions: Barba_Rossa

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still in full determination mode so I'm not finding anything tempting. I'm a bit odd in that I quite enjoy wandering up and down the aisles looking at all the bizarre things on the shelves - not to buy them, just to see what's there. I spent 20 minutes trying to find cauliflower rice the other day. I ended up in the cereal aisle - good grief there is some random rubbish in that part of the shop!

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I just wrote to the goverment agency regarding two unsweetened soy products, one powder form and another as pasteurised packeted. Both have protein to carb ratio of around 1:3. It should be around 1:1. Surely something is not right about both the labels.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My son took me shopping this morning. We left the house at 1100, went to the supermarket, 7 miles away, he whizzed me around picking up items from the list, (had to wait around a bit because of a "traffic jam" in the aisles), checked out, got cash from an ATM (had to wait there too for a lady who was having some problem or other - got soaked in the process sitting in my chair, while my son sat inside the tailgate and pulled it down to keep the rain out), went to a hardware shop to buy some screws and got home at 1145. Very efficient. I think I already said that every house should have a son like mine.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The old adage of "don't ever shop hungry." Comes to mind...

Or hypo in my case..spent 10 minutes wondering how many carbs was in a 12" model of a storm trooper's helmet in Sainsburys once.