Supplements For Anxiety And Depression

Rosieroo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been suffering alot lately with low mood and anxiety . I've been looking at what supplements I could take as I really don't want to end up on anti depressants.

I have been looking at things like st John's wort etc. But it looks like it's not good to take with insulin and metformin.

Any other alternatives that may help

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Rosieroo I am not a big fan of supplements, firstly they cost money and secondly none of them are proven to really work. If your diet is varied and contains lots of leafy veges, nuts, berries etc already then you're already ingesting what you need to stay well. I am an advocate for exercise to improve mood, it's free and is good for your diabetes control, so a long walk in the country, swim, run, work out, whatever floats your boat to get the endorphins flowing it's the best way to improve low mood and anxiety :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am working my way through this book: Overcoming Anxiety https://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming...d=1533118913&sr=8-6&keywords=overcome+anxiety

The exercises in it are helpful, and recognising and addressing issues, through CBT, in the book, with worksheets etc, is also helping my overall mood.

best wishes. I havent found any supplements useful. I dont take meds as they dont seem to work for me, despite trying about 6 or 7 types. I cant exercise, as i have ME, but getting outside as much as possible helps me.

Reactions: Prem51

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been suffering alot lately with low mood and anxiety . I've been looking at what supplements I could take as I really don't want to end up on anti depressants.

I have been looking at things like st John's wort etc. But it looks like it's not good to take with insulin and metformin.

Any other alternatives that may help
PS have you had your B12 and vitamin D levels checked by the doctor? mine were both low, and treatments for them has helped my mood, but it took about 3 month before I noticed a difference.