Supplements, for those with an open mind.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started taking Vitamin B12 and Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) after getting pins and needles sensations in my hand. Neuropathy is a symptom of prolonged high blood sugar, so I was a little surprised at getting symptoms once my blood sugars had normalised. I was also getting symptoms of "brain fog" and finding it difficult to remember things. Alpha Lipoic Acid is also good for brain fog as well as neuropathy.

Metformin can cause vitamin B12 deficiency which can result in neuropathy symptoms and memory loss. I think it is unwise to take high doses of Metformin if you have effectively controlled high blood sugar through a low carb diet. For that reason I reduced my Metformin from 2x500 to 1x500 in February and stopped taking it altogether in May once my HbA1C reduced to 44. Anyone taking Metformin should consider taking B12 supplements and maybe ALA as well.
I agree in principle with your statements above, but we are all different, and, as a habitual user of Metformin ~(4x500mg per day) for over 10 years, I can report that my B12 levels are fine and well up according to my last 2 blood tests. My last 2 HbA1c were 43 so I am well controlled for last year.

Having said that, I am going to ask my GP to halve my Metformin dose since i do not like being on a long term med amd my lifestyle changes are bearing fruit so that I can also reduce my other diabetic meds, and also my BP meds. I have been taking ALA recently, but not noticing any benefit, so will drop it and see if things change the other way.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Is your doctor concerned with your bone density? The supplements you're taking probably aren't helping:
I take steroids long term they can can cause calcium deficiency I am also prescribed Alandronic Acid though those make me nervous because of side affects there have been reports of spontaneous spiral fractures of long bones with them.

I do take BCAA, high potency Vitamin B complex, and as I do not eat a large amount of protein I take L-Arganine as well. Not sure if they help a lot but do feel better for it nothing seems to touch my neuropothy though suspect nerves damaged too long for much recovery. to take place.

Reactions: zand

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Neuropathy is a symptom of prolonged high blood sugar, so I was a little surprised at getting symptoms once my blood sugars had normalised. I was also getting symptoms of "brain fog" and finding it difficult to remember things. Alpha Lipoic Acid is also good for brain fog as well as neuropathy.

Dr Bernstein says some fascinating things about neuropathy, and recovering from neuropathy. He has some videos on the subject you may find worth watching.

He says that sometimes neuropathy pain worsens after treatment has begun (tight control of blood glucose allowing the nerves and nerve sheathes to regenerate). He explains it as the regenerating nerve tissues can be painful as they re-grow, but the pain is just a phase and once the regrowth is complete, the pain will disappear. Basically, dead nerves don't hurt, but deteriorating ones do, and so to growing ones... and if your bg is under tight control, then the odds are that your pain is from the regrowth.

Hope that helps.
(I find the idea very reassuring!)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He explains it as the regenerating nerve tissues can be painful as they re-grow, but the pain is just a phase and once the regrowth is complete, the pain will disappear. Basically, dead nerves don't hurt, but deteriorating ones do, and so to growing ones... and if your bg is under tight control, then the odds are that your pain is from the regrowth.
My own experience agrees with this. I had numbness in a large area above one knee following a procedure that involved catheters being passed up to my heart through my groin. I was told they had cut through some nerves and they wouldn't ever recover. Gradually I got more and more tingling and pain and after each painful episode I noticed the numb area had grown smaller.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Bernstein says some fascinating things about neuropathy, and recovering from neuropathy. He has some videos on the subject you may find worth watching.

He says that sometimes neuropathy pain worsens after treatment has begun (tight control of blood glucose allowing the nerves and nerve sheathes to regenerate). He explains it as the regenerating nerve tissues can be painful as they re-grow, but the pain is just a phase and once the regrowth is complete, the pain will disappear. Basically, dead nerves don't hurt, but deteriorating ones do, and so to growing ones... and if your bg is under tight control, then the odds are that your pain is from the regrowth.

Hope that helps.
(I find the idea very reassuring!)

I was told by my oncologist that the nerves down to the feet are much longer than most other nerves and take the longest to heal. He said anywhere between a few months and a few years. They will heel if they aren't dead and if the cause for damaging them is removed. This was for chemo-induced neuropathy. That was 4 years ago. I am still waiting, but the ALA is doing a grand job.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had nerve fibres taken from above and behind my right ear grafted into the facial nerves damaged by surgery to remove tumours from my parotid glands some years ago although the numbness resolved somewhat over the following years it has never recovered fully so my face and head on right hand side is still numb now. Same thing happened on the left side when the tumours on that side where removed.

S

serenity648

Not diabetes realted but: I have ME. I started taking B12 500mcg once a day, about 6 weeks ago, and I have more energy and am more alert between my rest periods. I dont know if this is coincidental.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One thing I'm unsure of is if it would be benificial for me to concentrate on B12 rather than the Vitamin B complex that I am taking at the moment.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing I'm unsure of is if it would be benificial for me to concentrate on B12 rather than the Vitamin B complex that I am taking at the moment.
As a general rule of thumb, the B complex supps do not usually include B12. And the converse holds true too, so may need to consider taking both..

The B12 is advised for those on long term Metformin, who do not eat animal products. Otherwise, western diet normally supplies our needs. We are also at reduced intake if on an LC diet, due to cutting out the fortified cereal and flour products

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of the members on the forum smoke/drink alcohol/take painkillers. If so then extra supplements are vital IMO. Vitamin B complex and magnesium if you drink alcohol and vitamin C if you smoke.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
concentrate on B12

I was going to say that it's essential if you are living where there's a lot of mosquitoes. I was very badly bitten on holiday somewhere hot and full of mossies, so badly that my legs became infected and I had to have a long course of antibiotics when I returned home. In hindsight and from what I've since learned, IV antibiotics would have zapped the infection in days rather than the 6 months of oral antibiotics. I now have something called cellulitus (nothing to do with cellulite) in both legs, from below the knee to just above the ankle. It could have been avoided with a more intense antibiotic regime.

I was told at the time by the doctor I saw on holiday that I should take Vit B12 and I also noticed some fellow guests with their own jars of Marmite (contains B12). I've always taken B12 since then and have eaten Marmite (till I gave up bread) and have never had a problem since, even this year when my wife was bitten a lot.

The bad news is that there doesn't seem to be any empirical evidence to show that B12 "frightens" off the mossies. I'll keep taking it just in case. LOL

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was going to say that it's essential if you are living where there's a lot of mosquitoes. I was very badly bitten on holiday somewhere hot and full of mossies, so badly that my legs became infected and I had to have a long course of antibiotics when I returned home. In hindsight and from what I've since learned, IV antibiotics would have zapped the infection in days rather than the 6 months of oral antibiotics. I now have something called cellulitus (nothing to do with cellulite) in both legs, from below the knee to just above the ankle. It could have been avoided with a more intense antibiotic regime.

I was told at the time by the doctor I saw on holiday that I should take Vit B12 and I also noticed some fellow guests with their own jars of Marmite (contains B12). I've always taken B12 since then and have eaten Marmite (till I gave up bread) and have never had a problem since, even this year when my wife was bitten a lot.

The bad news is that there doesn't seem to be any empirical evidence to show that B12 "frightens" off the mossies. I'll keep taking it just in case. LOL
Take a bigger shotgun!!!! Antibiotics can also interfer with some vitamin absorption

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Antibiotics can also interfer with some vitamin absorption

Much preferred to the Streptococcal and Staphylococcus infection that entered my legs via the hole the mosquito made.

The doctor I saw while on holiday who I believe was very familiar with this problem said that the bacteria live quite happily on the skin but go bonkers when given another more comfortable home to live in. They can both grow aerobically and anaerobically, clever little burgers.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...xvHjjJovTtmIIMW0w&sig2=JOyVLVjpsYqxQ6NeLTfIZQ

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do eat Marmite I'm one of those who love it not hate it now I take a tea soon full straight as it is if not having it on bread.

Will also check that the B copmlex I take has B12 if not may take both.

D

Deleted member 308541

Vegimite has the same effect on Drop Bears in Australia, here's a quote from the National Geographic online magazine.

Volker attributes this selective behaviour to a number of factors, the most significant of which relates to Australian people’s taste for Vegemite.

“By-products of the interaction between chemicals found in Vegemite and those found in human sweat repel drop bears,” Volker says. “Most Australians eat Vegemite at least once a day, so they permanently exude these chemicals through their skin and are thus protected.”

For foreign tourists, it is recommended to dab a little bit of Vegimite behind the ears for temporary protection when visiting Australia.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
For foreign tourists, it is recommended to dab a little bit of Vegimite behind the ears for temporary protection when visiting Australia.

Really, LOL I'm visiting OZ and NZ in October, I shall keep my eyes open for "Eau de Vegemite".

Reactions: Ultramum

lindisfel

Expert
Those of us who live in UK and Northern latitudes are usually short of Vit D3 in spring and need supplementation with D3 and of course K2 helps absorption.D

Last edited: